1. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 22:43
    Originally posted by Peachy
    Judaism believe that the Messiah is yet to come - once He does, believe in him and you'll be saved.
    Christians believe that the Messiah has come as Jesus the son of God - they believe he died and will come back to fight the Anti-Christ and save them.
    Muslims believe that the Messiah has come as Jesus the prophet and messenger - he never died but was lifted ...[text shortened]... pay at the end?

Guessed right.. will be thrown to the rubbish collectors to trash and burn….
    Believe in God, have true intensions and use God's wisdom in His Books to guide you through to the right path. Do this and you have passed the test, and your reward is Heaven.

At last, a concise description of the point of view of different religions that I can get a grasp on.

It is not on the same scale, but imagine that you have created a robot, you programmed it, gave it a name, gave it instructions. How would you punish this metal robot that you built with your own hands if it disobey your commands? You can either try to fix it, upload more instructions, swap processors, upload more instructions and commands, etc etc.. but if it keeps on failing.. What would be the ultimate price that robot will pay at the end?

Good analogy, still seems a bit harsh to me though... thrown on the scrap-heap forever for having human failings?

Maybe I need to get my "faith hotfix" installed, or go for a complete upgrade... Stained Glass Windows Hallelujah Edition?

Have a rec (I know it won't get you into heaven... but have one anyway).
  2. Joined
    31 Dec '02
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 00:23
    flyUnity & PawnCurry, much appreciate your input..

thanks PawnCurry for the rec.. might not get it me into heaven as you said, but it would most surely encourage me to participate more rather than keeping me amuse myself with the word association thread in the general forum 🙂
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 03:561 edit
    Does Hell seem over the top ?

SEEM over the top ? Hell IS over the top ..... way too much over the top .... Hell, if it wasn't over the top it wouldn't be hell, now would it ?
  4. Joined
    17 Jan '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 09:03
    The three major Religions, Judaism, Christianity and Islam talk about
    What the hell does "major" mean???? To me, this typifies what is wrong with institutionalised ideas like religion.

P.S. to pre-empt your obvious response, Hindu is the third largest religion in the world by number of followers (not that that criteria is important).
  5. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 09:18
    Judaism believe that the Messiah is yet to come - once He does, believe in him and you'll be saved.
    Christians believe that the Messiah has come as Jesus the son of God - they believe he died and will come back to fight the Anti-Christ and save them.
    Muslims believe that the Messiah has come as Jesus the prophet and messenger - he never died but was lifted ...[text shortened]... pay at the end?

There's no way I would program an artificial intelligence robot to have free will and then get mad at the bot for using it.
  6. Joined
    31 Dec '02
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 23:52
    Originally posted by Pullhard
    What the hell does "major" mean???? To me, this typifies what is wrong with institutionalised ideas like religion.

P.S. to pre-empt your obvious response, Hindu is the third largest religion in the world by number of followers (not that that criteria is important).
    I mean major as i only identify these three religions (Judaism, Christianinty & Islam) as the ONLY religions.

Hindu etc etc etc etc... are man made, are beliefs, way of life, created by man by examining nature. All of these man-made beliefs are minor once, no matter how many people follow it.

These three religions caused so much debate, and countless tongues talked, discussed, argued, raged wars, etc.. about them that they have impacted our history big time.

I hope that clarifies what I meant.
  7. Joined
    17 Jan '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 23:59
    I mean major as i only identify these three religions (Judaism, Christianinty & Islam) as the ONLY religions.

Hindu etc etc etc etc... are man made, are beliefs, way of life, created by man by examining nature. All of these man-made beliefs are minor once, no matter how many people follow it.

These three religions caused so much debate, and countless to ...[text shortened]... about them that they have impacted our history big time.

I hope that clarifies what I meant.
    I admire your brutal honesty
  8. Joined
    31 Dec '02
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 00:08
    Originally posted by Pullhard
    I admire your brutal honesty
    my pleasure friend 🙂
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 00:43
    The punishment might seem harsh, but can’t you see how merciful God has been to mankind?

Finitely merciful because no matter when he stops being merciful he could always be a bit more merciful. Besides if this is all just a blink of an eye compared to eternity, then God must have infintesimally small patience. Eternal torture? I mean come on!

He has sent many messengers and prophets, He sent three Holy Books to guide us.

That is a miniscule bit of effort for an omnipotent deity, especially given how nobody can even agree on how to interpret them. Moreover by omniscience, he knew that it was insufficient when he began creation.

It is not on the same scale, but imagine that you have created a robot, you programmed it, gave it a name, gave it instructions. How would you punish this metal robot that you built with your own hands if it disobey your commands?

I wouldn't feel anything at all if I knew ahead of time that it wouldn't work. If I build a robot that I know will fail, then it's silly for me to throw a temper tantrum and blame the robot for not working.

You can either try to fix it, upload more instructions, swap processors, upload more instructions and commands, etc etc.. but if it keeps on failing.. What would be the ultimate price that robot will pay at the end?

You can also fix it the right way if your all-knowing and all-powerful.
    Besides don't most theist argue that we were given free will specifically to differentiate us from robots? Now I agree with you that free will hardly changes our robotic nature from the perspective of an all-knowing creator (who by the way also designed free will), but it does seem a bit like double speak to use the analogy.

Again, eternal punishment for finite transgressions? Seriously, it's unjustifiable. Well, except maybe the old might makes right bit.

So basically believers are dysfunctional and worthless, and therefore deserving of eternal (i.e. infinite) torture? Come on! It's over the top even for a manaical human psychopath to actually prescribe this, much less the paragon of righteousness. I think most people never really ponder the meaning of eternal torture. It makes the sum of all cruelty done upon this earth seem a pardon by comparison.
  10. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 03:35
    If Hell is simply the place where God is eternally absent, then the 'punishment' fits the 'crime'.

The medieval church certainly had a vivid imagination about the kinds of punishment that hell would involve, but I'm not sure much of it is soundly based in the Bible. The overriding point of Hell is that people who want separation from God ultimately get their wish, and that is probably torment enough.
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 04:46
    Ok flames or not, notice that it is still eternal torment. Thus no one could really wish for it. If they did, then it really couldn't be that bad.
    It must be that given the astounding lack of evidence and the myriad of logical difficulties/inconsistencies, the non-believer does not really think that Hell is real. No one who was sure (or even pretty sure) that they were actually in danger of Hell would choose to go there. Now once they discover that they are in Hell, they will want to leave. Having finally been given solid evidence of God's existence, the sinner will want to repent and meet this god.

I think your line of thinking just reflects the frustrations of the fundamentalist xtian. Instead of dealing with the fact that some people find your claims unconvincing and cannot with integrity accept that your god isn't artificial like all the rest, you decide we must be masochists.
  12. Joined
    07 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 05:00
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Are you suggesting that God, the creator of Heaven and Earth (and Satan, I would assume) does not have the power to defeat Satan? Does not have the power to liberate hell of its pitiful inhabitants and show them mercy and a better place? If God cannot do this perhaps I should be worshiping Satan...no?

TheSkipper
    LOL
  13. Joined
    07 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 05:01
    Originally posted by orfeo
    If Hell is simply the place where God is eternally absent, then the 'punishment' fits the 'crime'.

The medieval church certainly had a vivid imagination about the kinds of punishment that hell would involve, but I'm not sure much of it is soundly based in the Bible. The overriding point of Hell is that people who want separation from God ultimately get their wish, and that is probably torment enough.
    i think i agree with him.
  14. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 05:45

If Muslims believe that JESUS is the Messiah. Why then do the teachings of CHRIST and Muhammad contradict each other?
  15. Newcastle upon tyne
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 07:06
    Hell is what u wanted to be

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree