Does Hell seem over the top ?

Does Hell seem over the top ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
21 Apr 05

Originally posted by blindfaith101
You have areason for stating this, is it because you donot like to hear the message.
The reason he said it is because the message you're peddling would be an insult to
Jesus and anyone who understood what it meant to be a True Christian.

Nemesio

b

Moves
21 Apr 05

Originally posted by telerion
No. That's the point BF. I don't believe in Satan so I don't fear him. I don't fear your God because no matter how often you preach to the contrary, my BS factor says, "Not really." I could say that I believe, but deep down in side my BS factor would reply, "But not really."

[b]Why do you continue to blame GOD, and not Satan.

Because ...[text shortened]... of your god for a while.
1) Creator of all things (including free will)
2) All-knowing

[/b]
Well since you donot believe in GOD, you should have no complaints.To you GOD is not real. So be it. Noone can force into believing.Noone can convince you, since you wish not to be convinced. But since you feel there is no GOD, why discuss Him. Are you searching for a way to believe? GOD is not cruel or uncaring, it's just your disputed view of HIM.

b

Moves
21 Apr 05

Originally posted by Nemesio
The reason he said it is because the message you're peddling would be an insult to

Nemesio
Since you have stated that,in what way,would the message that I have been peddling be an insult to JESUS or a true Christian?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
21 Apr 05

Originally posted by Nemesio

Nemesio
In your mind, what would be the 'proper' way for a christian to warn unbelievers about hell?

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
21 Apr 05

You have areason for stating this, is it because you donot like to hear the message. Are you saved? You have spoken as if you know the truth, but not as if you believe the truth. Have you acceptted CHRIST, as your Savior?
Oh come on, BF. Absolutely nothing in the post you're responding to indicated belief or disbelief in Christianity. You assume the worst every time.

What is being said is that they don't like hearing YOUR message. If Billy Graham had talked the way you write, I seriously doubt he would have got anywhere.

Yes I KNOW that it's GOD'S power that SAVES, not YOURS. Nevertheless, the average preacher spends at least SOME time learning TECHNIQUE. Understanding their AUDIENCE so they can RELATE to them. Becoming all THINGS to all PEOPLE (yes, that's a deliberate reference to St Paul).

On a WEBSITE, that partly involves making your POSTS easy to READ. Are you finding THIS easy to READ?

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
21 Apr 05

Originally posted by telerion
Ok flames or not, notice that it is still eternal torment. Thus no one could really wish for it. If they did, then it really couldn't be that bad.
It must be that given the astounding lack of evidence and the myriad of logical difficulties/inconsistencies, the non-believer does not really think that Hell is real. No one who was sure (or even pretty su ...[text shortened]... rity accept that your god isn't artificial like all the rest, you decide we must be masochists.
No, I don't believe you must be masochists at all. Not any more than having already chosen to live a life without God, which brings certain kinds of pain even in this life.

I hasten to add that I am NOT subscribing to the idea that "be a Christian and your life will be rosy". That's a load of rubbish and completely unbiblical to boot. I'm just saying the Christian experience of life is different to the non-Christian one.

I am actually aware of a few examples of people who believe(d) they were going to hell and embraced the fact, but in general I agree that people would not choose to go there.

It's not an easy question and I certainly don't want to be glib about it.

My main response is that I think the issue is the 'evidence' that you speak of. I happen to think there is plenty of 'evidence' for God's existence in the universe. The Bible isn't really interested in proving God's existence - it assumes it and works from there to discussing what he is like. You have to wonder what it is that people all over the world saw to believe in a spiritual dimension, because total atheism is a relatively new and trendy thing. They must have had some 'evidence' they found persuasive... or do you think that all ancient peoples were basically complete idiots, and that science can answer everything?

b

Moves
21 Apr 05

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
In your mind, what would be the 'proper' way for a christian to warn unbelievers about hell?
Using THE WORD OF GOD. which is what I have been doing. Asking hard questions and making hard statements according to THE WORD OF GOD.

l

London

Moves
21 Apr 05

Originally posted by buckky
Does the concept of Hell seem a little bit too strong of a punishment for the average Joe that just did not see the need in getting Saved ? Maybe the average Joe was a Jew. Maybe a Buddist. Maybe a Hindhu. Maybe a Muslem. It's amazing how the Christian idea of Hell has not been put into the trash can of time a long time ago. What a screwball concept it is. W ...[text shortened]... ay the idea of a Devil also seems wacked out. Christianity needs to wake up to rational thought.
May I suggest an alternative definition of Heaven and Hell?

Heaven - a state of eternal communion (N.B. my terminology) with God.

Hell - a state of eternal separation from God.

In other words, I am suggesting that Heaven and Hell are states of the human soul after Death.

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
21 Apr 05

Using THE WORD OF GOD. which is what I have been doing. Asking hard questions and making hard statements according to THE WORD OF GOD.
Could you please refer me to the bible passage(s) that encourage Christians to be abusive, pushy, fear-mongering and/or threatening when attempting to spread Christ's message?

I ask this because you are all of those things and if you cannot find biblical justification for it you may want to re-think your tactics.

Yes, BTW, I am a Christian. I have accepted Christ as my savior. I have not, however, accpeted Christians as my peers in large part because of 'Christians' like you.

TheSkipper

b

Moves
21 Apr 05

Originally posted by orfeo
Oh come on, BF. Absolutely nothing in the post you're responding to indicated belief or disbelief in Christianity. You assume the worst every time.

What is being said is that they don't like hearing YOUR message. If Billy Graham had talked the way you write, I seriously doubt he would have got anywhere.

Yes I KNOW that it's GOD'S power that SAVES, ...[text shortened]... WEBSITE, that partly involves making your POSTS easy to READ. Are you finding THIS easy to READ?
I have always stated the Saving Power of JESUS CHRIST. I have always written what the WORD OF GOD has to say. All of what I have said states the belief in JESUS CHRIST and the Saving Power HE offers. What I have stated is what going to happen to those that reject JESUS CHRIST Saving Power.
There is nothing to understand but the thruth, you either accept it or reject it. If you believe that you can live the life that you want that is unpleasing to GOD, do so. But there is a price to pay. And you will pay that price. Make a joke of GOD he will have the Last laugh. Reject the Teachings and thruths of JESUS CHRIST, you will go to everlasting punishment.
You made an interresting quote from St Paul from where did you misquote it.

b

Moves
21 Apr 05

Originally posted by TheSkipper
Could you please refer me to the bible passage(s) that encourage Christians to be abusive, pushy, fear-mongering and/or threatening when attempting to spread Christ's message?

I ask this because you are all of those things and if you cannot find biblical justification for it you may want to re-think your tactics.

Yes, BTW, I am a Christian. I have ...[text shortened]... accpeted Christians as my peers in large part because of 'Christians' like you.

TheSkipper
I have not been abusive,I have not insulted anyone. I have not pushed anything but THE WORD OF GOD. If the fear-mongering has been because I've said that rejection of JESUS CHRIST,leads to eternal damnation, so be it. I spoke the thruth. I have not threated anyone. GOD has given mankind warnings, you reject those warnings, so be it. GOD willing I will continue to speak the thruth. GOD willing it will still be heard. GOD willing all you unbelievers will come to your right mind, and accept CHRIST message, on the terms that GOD has lain out.But if YOU, reject the saving power of JESUS CHRIST, you have only yourself to blame.

l

London

Moves
21 Apr 05

I have not been abusive,I have not insulted anyone. I have not pushed anything but THE WORD OF GOD. If the fear-mongering has been because I've said that rejection of JESUS CHRIST,leads to eternal damnation, so be it. I spoke the thruth. I have not threated anyone. GOD has given mankind warnings, you reject those warnings, so be it. GOD willing I wil ...[text shortened]... s lain out.But if YOU, reject the saving power of JESUS CHRIST, you have only yourself to blame.
Not to attack you or anything, but do you really need to capitalize all of the word "God"? Wouldn't the first letter do?

Pax,

LH

j
Top Gun

Angels 20

Moves
21 Apr 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Not to attack you or anything, but do you really need to capitalize all of the word "God"? Wouldn't the first letter do?

Pax,

LH
What, and lose his most powerful persuasive technique?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
21 Apr 05

I was born and raised on the Right side of the tracks. I had the opportunity to do or be whatever I wanted to in life. I made some wrong turns and decisions in my life. I fell to a level of life that I didnot belong. I faced death and physical attacks, and was very much alone. I had been hurt emotionally, and I could not find my bearings. I fell deep i ...[text shortened]... s and tirbbulation that GOD has allowed me survive. And I am hoping I got many more years to go.
Ok now I know you are not just a robot. I think you showed Christ more in that. Thanks for sharing I'm sure you will get your share of ridicule but at least we know your not just a robot. I will try to be brief but I became a Christian when I was 18 years old.I still made alot of mistakes after becoming a Christian. I attended church regularly had some good pastors who I believe were actually following God. I read every book in the Bible at least once. Went to Bible study. I was Johnny joe Christian. I helped in some inner city projects to be honest those times doing that kind of stuff is when I experienced God the most. I think Christians put God in a box. I'm just at a point where I'm questioning what I believe that is all. To question just for the sake of questioning is dumb but to question to find truth that is good. Manny

b

Moves
21 Apr 05

Originally posted by TheSkipper

Yes, BTW, I am a Christian. I have ...[text shortened]... accpeted Christians as my peers in large part because of 'Christians' like you.

TheSkipper
Finally, my brethern, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against,principalities,against powers, against rulers of the darkness of this world,against spiritual wickedness in high places.Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all to stand. Stand therefore having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness: And you feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking, the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the spirit, which is the word of God. EPESIANS 6:10-17