Does prayer work?

Does prayer work?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
There is a difference between:
Being able to read the bible (or just the ten commandments) and being able to tell that the
bible thinks that sin is bad thing.

And...

Caring that the bible says that sin is a bad thing, or agreeing that sin is bad.

We all know that Christianity (well pretty much all theistic religions really) think that sin il.

Which is why your god is as described evil and immoral.

And also a murderer.
pretty good how you guys have started throwing around words like "conclusive proof" that God doesn't exist.

go ahead, someone please lay out this "proof".

no one can, so please stop saying bizarro things like there's "conclusive proof" that God doesn't exist.

it's a pretty illogical step up from claiming that "you can't prove a negative" which used to be the standard you guys would bear.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Oct 12

You thought wrong.

And I am not the one who believes that fully fledged people deserve to spend an eternity
being tortured for not believing in the existence of and worshipping your petty vindictive
evil and imaginary god.
no, no, no, no, no, no, and again, no.

the punishment is for being totally and completely unrepentant regarding your sin.

that's all it is for, none of this other "ego-tripping" stuff that you imagine it's about.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
28 Oct 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
no, no, no, no, no, no, and again, no.

the punishment is for being totally and completely unrepentant regarding your sin.

that's all it is for, none of this other "ego-tripping" stuff that you imagine it's about.
What do you think of this man's understanding of the Holy Bible?

&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
28 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
Well, then clearly we have nothing more to say to each other.

When you grow up and come out of Peter Cottontail's garden, you let me know.
So our differing views on capital punishment are a result me not having 'grown up yet'?!

A question for you Suzianne, is it possible for you to engage in debate without throwing around ad hominems and insults, or is that just the way you roll? Surely the irony is not lost on you here, you tell me to grow up and then throw an insult my way?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Oct 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
So our differing views on capital punishment are a result me not having 'grown up yet'?!

A question for you Suzianne, is it possible for you to engage in debate without throwing around ad hominems and insults, or is that just the way you roll? Surely the irony is not lost on you here, you tell me to grow up and then throw an insult my way?
Now now, we both know she cannot do that...thrown an insult your way.
Since anything she could possibly say to you would be well a compliment. 🙂
Kelly

rc

Moves
28 Oct 12

shouldn't you be at church this morning 😛

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
28 Oct 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
shouldn't you be at church this morning 😛
I'm sat at home listening to my 22 hour 392 track Spotify Blues playlist i created. I'll get more out of that than i will listening to some churchman witter on about the Jewish Zombie myth.

n

Moves
28 Oct 12

To reply to the first post.

No it doesnt.

The giant spaghetti monster doesnt return calls.

rc

Moves
28 Oct 12
1 edit

I'm sat at home listening to my 22 hour 392 track Spotify Blues playlist i created. I'll get more out of that than i will listening to some churchman witter on about the Jewish Zombie myth.
maybe you need to go to a funkier church! 😛

dig ya'll

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
28 Oct 12

Oh dear, you do have a lot to learn.

How does it feel to an unborn baby to be nestled securely in the warmth of its mother’s
womb and then suddenly be assaulted with deadly force? We can only imagine, for the story will
never be told firsthand.

You know why? Because no unborn baby has the capacity to form any memories because the ...[text shortened]... e wrong because I care about the truth, not because they
pose any threat to my arguments.
Biological life within the womb, human life imputed by God at the moment of birth.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
28 Oct 12

You thought wrong.

And I am not the one who believes that fully fledged people deserve to spend an eternity
being tortured for not believing in the existence of and worshipping your petty vindictive
evil and imaginary god.
Only those who reject the grace gift of eternity with God (through faith alone in Christ alone) spend eternity separated from him in the Lake of Fire. To repent, in the koine Greek, simply means to change your mind. Emotional activity and feelings of guilt have nothing to do with it.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
28 Oct 12

You thought wrong.

evil and imaginary god.
If I warn you that my neighbor has built a pit of fire that is very hot and will burn you up, so you should stay away from it, but you refuse to believe me and decide to prove I am wrong by jumping in it and then get burned up, will you blame the evil neighbor for building the fire?

It sounds to me that is basically what you intend to do, if you find yourself in hell one day. You are going to blame God for making such a place, because you don't deserve to be there.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
28 Oct 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
If I warn you that my neighbor has built a pit of fire that is very hot and will burn you up, so you should stay away from it, but you refuse to believe me and decide to prove I am wrong by jumping in it and then get burned up, will you blame the evil neighbor for building the fire?

If I warn you that the tooth fairies have taken over my neighbour's
garden and will pelt you to death with molars should you venture
into the garden, but you refuse to believe me and decide to prove
I am wrong by jumping over the fence .....

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
29 Oct 12

Originally posted by RJHinds

It sounds to me that is basically what you intend to do, if you find yo ...[text shortened]... ay. You are going to blame God for making such a place, because you don't deserve to be there.
That's an awful analogy. It's more as if your neighbor builds a pit of fire and threatens to toss me and everybody else in unless we follow his commands... Under your analogy, I could just avoid your crazy neighbor (who builds a pit of fire in a residential area?) and be done with it. But your God doesn't allow us to simply move out of the neighborhood. That's why versions of Christianity that include any substantive notion of Hell are silly, and their adherents like petty, monstrous children.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Oct 12

Originally posted by wolfgang59
If I warn you that the tooth fairies have taken over my neighbour's
garden and will pelt you to death with molars should you venture
into the garden, but you refuse to believe me and decide to prove
I am wrong by jumping over the fence .....
If I were to do that I would blame myself for being stupid. But you atheists always want to blame someone else for your stupidity.