1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 05:12
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    But if I’m going to invest the time and effort to respond to your query, I first would appreciate the simple courtesy of your devoting a few moments identifying what an agnostic atheist is (one or two sentences would be fine.)
    As far as I am concerned you have invested enough time and effort to responding to my query on this thread. Don't invest any more on my account.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 05:21
    Originally posted by @fmf
    As far as I am concerned you have invested enough time and effort to responding to my query on this thread. Don't invest any more on my account.
    As Bobby Fischer once said, “To get squares, ya gotta give squares.”

There’s an obvious reply to the question you’ve asked, but taking the time to explain it to an atheist who won’t answer questions posed to him is a waste of time.

But at least you’ve finally decided to post something substantive, instead of whizzing in the pool, so I give you credit for that lol
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 05:28
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    There’s an obvious reply to the question you’ve asked, but taking the time to explain it to an atheist who won’t answer questions posed to him is a waste of time.
    The small sample of problems facing humans that require communal action [listed in my third post on page 1] potentially involve all humans regardless of whether they are atheists or theists.

You have not told me how your own contribution - as a Christian - to solving these problems would work in real life given the limitations Matthew 6:34 perhaps places upon your action.

If you consider the answer "obvious" but at the same time "a waste of time" to explain, then so be it. Not all thread and topics suit all posters.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 05:35
    The small sample of problems facing humans that require communal action [listed in my third post on page 1] potentially involve all humans regardless of whether they are atheists or theists.

You have not told me how your own contribution - as a Christian - to solving these problems would work in real life given the limitations Matthew 6:34 perhaps places up ...[text shortened]... me time "a waste of time" to explain, then so be it. Not all thread and topics suit all posters.
    As Bobby Fischer once said, “To get squares, ya gotta give squares.”

But at least you’ve finally decided to post something substantive, instead of whizzing in the pool, so I give you credit for that lol
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 05:40
    You've double posted. If you edit and type a proscribed word in the body of your post, and then click Edit, the repeated post will be automatically deleted.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 07:58
    "Don’t worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

Is this really a good way for human beings to live their lives?
    Live for today
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 08:00
    "Worrying" leads to recognition, analysis, resolution, planning, and action. And all these things concern the nature of 'tomorrow'.
    concern not worry. or something like that.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 08:191 edit
    "Don’t worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

This has always been an interesting one for me personally. I used to worry a lot, still do a bit at times, but less so nowadays. However if I am honest that is more to do with the way I have managed my finances over time and the time of life I am in, rather than me leaning on and trusting in God.

This principle in play here is conjoined with the notion of being eternally saved (it is a birthright and spiritual condition not a licence or ticket) to DO good works and not worry about ones self. Let me explain; if one has a deep conviction, a trust in the Lord that they are saved, they don’t need to worry about themselves and they should be “freed” from “self” in order to do good works for others. If I can draw attention to this passage of scripture:

James 4:13-17
    13 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15 Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” 16 As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil. 17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.

Note especially the final verse. “Anyone”, not the saved, not the unsaved, “anyone”. This implies, to me at least, that “anyone” can do good works as thier conscience leads and to not do them is, for them, sinful. It takes effort to do good works and all of us, Christian and non Christian, are mostly concerned about ourselves and that is normal. The salvation, the freedom, the liberty that the NT speaks about is being able to not worry about yourself because you know you have security, you have an assurance, faith, and it is this liberty that should free the Christian from the worry of self to do good works. To not be doing good works does not mean one is not saved but it may mean they are being sinful because they are inwardly focused and “worrying” about themselves.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 08:55
    These are some of God’s promises that have helped me through my darkest hours:

"It is the LORD who goes before you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or abandon you. Do not fear or be dismayed."" — Deu 31:8

"But You, O LORD, are a shield for me, My glory [and my honor], and the One who lifts my head.
    " — Ps 3:3

"The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous [those with moral courage and spiritual integrity] And His ears are open to their cry.
    " — Ps 34:15

Christ, who gave His life for us, is our Righteousness!

"To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David. I waited patiently and expectantly for the LORD; And He inclined to me and heard my cry.
    " — Ps 40:1

"He brought me up out of a horrible pit [of tumult and of destruction], out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock, steadying my footsteps and establishing my path.
    " — Ps 40:2

"He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; Many will see and fear [with great reverence] And will trust confidently in the LORD." — Ps 40:3

"Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become restless and disturbed within me? Hope in God and wait expectantly for Him, for I shall again praise Him For the help of His presence.
    " — Ps 42:5

"O my God, my soul is in despair within me [the burden more than I can bear]; Therefore I will [fervently] remember You from the land of the Jordan And the peaks of [Mount] Hermon, from Mount Mizar.
    " — Ps 42:6

"Yet the LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime, And in the night His song will be with me, A prayer to the God of my life." — Ps 42:8

""Because he set his love on Me, therefore I will save him; I will set him [securely] on high, because he knows My name [he confidently trusts and relies on Me, knowing I will never abandon him, no, never].
    " — Ps 91:14

""He will call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him.
    " — Ps 91:15

""With a long life I will satisfy him And I will let him see My salvation."" — Ps 91:16

""Do not fear, for you will not be put to shame, And do not feel humiliated or ashamed, for you will not be disgraced. For you will forget the shame of your youth, And you will no longer remember the disgrace of your widowhood.
    " — Isa 54:4

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose.

2 Timothy 1:7 - For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Hebrews 4:16 - Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 09:07
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    These are some of God’s promises that have helped me through my darkest hours: [...]
    Rather like Romans1009, you are missing the point. I am seeking thoughts on how a "Don’t worry about tomorrow" approach affects problems [like the ones listed in my third post on page 1] that need more than one day to solve; problems that need concerted, premeditated action. Listing Christian beliefs/verses about enduring or overcoming personal "darkest hours" is tangential and deserves a thread of its own.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 09:12
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    To not be doing good works does not mean one is not saved but it may mean they are being sinful because they are inwardly focused and “worrying” about themselves.
    Pardon me for zooming in on the last sentence and just say so if it means my reaction to it has taken it out of context. Matthew 6:34 seems to me to embody a profoundly passive and selfish sentiment. If "worry" results in steps taken to improve the common good in the future, then it's something that has a positive effect.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 09:17
    What about human beings working to improve things like maternal and infant mortality, preventable diseases, water and sanitation, food supply, human rights, provision of education, building civil institutions and so on? How does a 'don’t worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself' approach to life work in such a context? And if those things are not the correct context in which to place Matthew 6:34, then what is?
    Aren't activism, promoting or securing the common good, forward-thinking, and taking responsibility all virtues. Does Matthew 6:34 encourage them or discourage them?
  13. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 09:25
    What about human beings working to improve things like maternal and infant mortality, preventable diseases, water and sanitation, food supply, human rights, provision of education, building civil institutions and so on?

How does a [b]don’t worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself
    approach to life work in such a context?

And if those things are not the correct context in which to place Matthew 6:34, then what is?[/b]
    Isn't this just about promoting good psychological health rather than precluding long term planning or strategy? Similar to Buddhist (and now psychotherapy's) mindfulness of the present moment or the sentiments of the prayer of St Francis of Assisi?
    I think it says don't worry rather than don't plan.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 09:25
    Pardon me for zooming in on the last sentence and just say so if it means my reaction to it has taken it out of context. Matthew 6:34 seems to me to embody a profoundly passive and selfish sentiment. If "worry" results in steps taken to improve the common good in the future, then it's something that has a positive effect.
    Yes, I am differentiating between worrying about ones self and “worrying” (small w) about other people demonstrated by doing good works.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 09:411 edit

When you have no hope all you can focus on is today. If you do have hope you can believe that everything will work together for the good (in the future) for those that love God. Things may not be good right now, but God can take a mess and turn it into a miracle, he can turn a tragedy into a triumph. I feel this is true in my own life.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree