Originally posted by Doward
    I dream of Jeannie
    Is the 'J' pronounced like a 'W?'
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 15:23
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    When you read the first part of Hebrews, you'll find that at an earlier time in history, God used dreams (among other formats) to get His message to man. It goes on to say that now (at the time of writing) He has spoken to us through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. We find that message in the written word of God, the Bible. Thus, dreams and prophecy (fo ...[text shortened]... ) have been supplanted by the word of God, which has become the focal point of our development.
    It's difficult to imagine what it was like when people vested such authority in their own dreams. Possibly, they eventually vested authority in the dreams recounted to them by their leaders, and over time, authority became vested in the recounted dreams and other accounts of past leaders, then even later, written down in scripture, which also recorded the end of dreams as authoritative. I would assume that the tribal leaders were also the religious leaders in fact that there was no real distinction. I suppose this is in parallel with the advent of writing and the decline in oral tradition.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 16:06
    Is the 'J' pronounced like a 'W?'
    muhaha!
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 16:31
    Originally posted by JS357
    It's difficult to imagine what it was like when people vested such authority in their own dreams. Possibly, they eventually vested authority in the dreams recounted to them by their leaders, and over time, authority became vested in the recounted dreams and other accounts of past leaders, then even later, written down in scripture, which also recorded the end ...[text shortened]... on. I suppose this is in parallel with the advent of writing and the decline in oral tradition.
    While presently we are much enamored with all things scientific (or, at minimum, academic-sounding), the oral accounts were authoritative. So ingrained in the collective consciousness, deviations which were presented were immediately rejected as lies--- nearly akin to the offense one would take listening to a recount of their own life, told out of order or flat-out wrong.

The old saying 'gold in them thar hills' still applies to the written, mostly neglected word of God, but one cannot help but pine for the days when the veneration for truth was such that it possessed the memory of the citizenry. Now, we recite bits and pieces of "classic" South Park episodes, correcting one another lest we go astray from the original text.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 18:46
    While presently we are much enamored with all things scientific (or, at minimum, academic-sounding), the oral accounts were authoritative. So ingrained in the collective consciousness, deviations which were presented were immediately rejected as lies--- nearly akin to the offense one would take listening to a recount of their own life, told out of order o ...[text shortened]... assic" South Park episodes, correcting one another lest we go astray from the original text.
    If South Park episodes had been ingrained in the collective consciousness back when oral accounts were authoritative, we might find their wisdom in our sacred scriptures today.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 23:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    There is also flying ,falling ,levitating, dissappearing and a whole host of other types of dreams that do not match the "stressed mind dream" model.

how do you know these are not attempts of the mind to make sense of some event or emotion?
    They dont match.

Like a dream I had about flying along powerlines, absolutely nothing like an ordinary dream where you are just dragged along.There is more control. These dreams seem to add something new, not just a remixing of ones own emotions,stresses,etc.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 23:55
    Originally posted by buckky
    The release of stress.
    Close.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 00:02
    What is the significance of dreams?
    Ecclesiastes 5:3 - For a dream cometh through the multitude of business;

Dreams could mean nothing at all, or they could just be the result of a busy day.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 11:07
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    They dont match.

Like a dream I had about flying along powerlines, absolutely nothing like an ordinary dream where you are just dragged along.There is more control. These dreams seem to add something new, not just a remixing of ones own emotions,stresses,etc.
    mmm, i am not so sure, flying can easily be linked to the emotion or the sensation of exhilaration, perhaps we are optimistic about a forthcoming event, as is falling, perhaps we are fearful of the outcome of a forthcoming event, pessimistic about the outcome. Again we may hear music, if we like this, it might be indicative of our mood, if we dont, the opposite may be true.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 22:20
    mmm, i am not so sure, flying can easily be linked to the emotion or the sensation of exhilaration, perhaps we are optimistic about a forthcoming event, as is falling, perhaps we are fearful of the outcome of a forthcoming event, pessimistic about the outcome. Again we may hear music, if we like this, it might be indicative of our mood, if we dont, the opposite may be true.
    Of course this is like much of "spirituality", if you have not had these dreams yourself, it's going to be really hard to understand someone else blubbering about it.
    At least this process calls into play ones memory, and the genuiness of their character. (like how some people just blurr over their dreams and in time forget them altogether)

But remember, how sweet it was in the simplicity of your dream where you had not a care, where everything seemed perfect. Remember? There was no stress there...
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 22:29
    I wonder if having a person from your past, who has passed away, appear in a dream, is one of the reasons that early humans came to believe that we live on after death. Visitations from the spirit world, etc.
    I have heard it said that once you start dreaming of someone who has died, it means that they have truly "passed on" (gone to the light, or whatever you want to call it) to the next phase of existence, whatever that is. As opposed to a spirit who perhaps doesn't know they've died (as might happen to someone who had an abrupt, quick death) and is still hanging around. Interesting idea.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 22:59
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I have heard it said that once you start dreaming of someone who has died, it means that they have truly "passed on" (gone to the light, or whatever you want to call it) to the next phase of existence, whatever that is. As opposed to a spirit who perhaps doesn't know they've died (as might happen to someone who had an abrupt, quick death) and is still hanging around. Interesting idea.
    Now you sound like a hindu 🙂
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 23:18
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Cue Twilight Zone music.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 07:531 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Of course this is like much of "spirituality", if you have not had these dreams yourself, it's going to be really hard to understand someone else blubbering about it.
    At least this process calls into play ones memory, and the genuiness of their character. (like how some people just blurr over their dreams and in time forget them altogether)

But reme ...[text shortened]... e you had not a care, where everything seemed perfect. Remember? There was no stress there...
    oh my friend i have had many a dream where i have flown, fallen from a great height, woke up sweating with fear, woke up paralysed and unable to move, have been chased by gangsters and fixated to the spot, bombed by enemy aircraft, horrific daemonic visions, i once saw a giant bee fighting to the death with a wasp, in fact it became so severe i had to see the doctor, he gave me happy pills, which i subsequently gave away to my friends, much to their delight. The best sleep is when one doesn't dream at all.
  15. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 09:12
    oh my friend i have had many a dream where i have flown, fallen from a great height, woke up sweating with fear, woke up paralysed and unable to move, have been chased by gangsters and fixated to the spot, bombed by enemy aircraft, horrific daemonic visions, i once saw a giant bee fighting to the death with a wasp, in fact it became so severe i had ...[text shortened]... ve away to my friends, much to their delight. The best sleep is when one doesn't dream at all.
    Really? You'd prefer not to dream? Wow. I feel short-changed if I wake up and don't remember at least a bit of dreaming. Doesn't happen very often, fortunately. I dunno if dreaming is important or significant or just irrelevant, but it's one of the gems of life imo. And the horrible, scary ones are the best! Did you ever dream that you'd killed somebody? That's a life-changer, that one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree