1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 14:35
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"' Does the modern Christian not believe that mankind has paid the price for the original 'bad karma' and that they were saved as a result of the 'good karma' of Jesus and his atonement?' "

Not getting the answer you're looking for Ghost?

"' Does the modern Christian not believe that mankind has paid the price for the original 'bad karma'..." ...[text shortened]... oundation for, and in the application of Biblical principles in Christian living.

How's that?
    A well written answer. (Especially as you understood the intended meaning of paid the price). 🙂
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 14:51
    That, and I really do have a sense of humor. But it gets bottled up sometimes.

Not sure about the question. As to the idea of a "convergence" between the Biblical principle of reaping and sowing, and the Hindu concept of karma, I'd have to say that while there are apparent similarities they still remain mutually exclusive.

Look at it this way if you w ...[text shortened]... ive. It is that thread that is the foundation for the whole of life. Beware counterfeit threads.
    I'll match your rug analogy with one involving an elephant:

Six men enter a dark room where an elephant is standing. (It's irrelevant to the analogy, but hey, let's say the elephant is contemplating the meaning of existence). The first man feels the elephant's leg and says it is like a pillar; the second feels the tail and says the elephant is like a rope; the next feels the trunk says the elephant is like a tree branch; the one who feels the ear says the elephant is like a hand fan; the one who feels the belly says the elephant is like a wall; and the one who feels the tusk says the elephant is like a solid pipe.

All the men have glimpsed part of the same animal, but on their own haven't comprehended it in its entirety. - Perhaps the same is true of all the worlds religions. Perhaps they have all glimpsed part of the same truth, but just from different angles.

Perhaps religions have a lot to learn from one another, despite the apparent irreconcilable differences. Maybe, if religions fail to communicate and understand each other, they will never grasp God in his entirety.
  3. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 14:59
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

Six men enter a dark room where an elephant is standing. (It's irrelevant to the analogy, but hey, let's say the elephant is contemplating the meaning of existence). The first man feels the elephant's leg and says it is like a pillar; the second feels the tail and says the elephant is lik ...[text shortened]... igions fail to communicate and understand each other, they will never grasp God in his entirety.
    Are you trying to build a case for religious pluralism?
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 15:35

Six men enter a dark room where an elephant is standing. (It's irrelevant to the analogy, but hey, let's say the elephant is contemplating the meaning of existence). The first man feels the elephant's leg and says it is like a pillar; the second feels the tail and says the elephant is lik ...[text shortened]... igions fail to communicate and understand each other, they will never grasp God in his entirety.
    Jeez! Now you're making me think too hard!

I heard the analogy before, but it doesn't fit the reality. All one needs to do is examine the evidence. I am aware of the concepts and ideas related to pantheistic views, but the facts are facts. While some of the so-called truths promulgated by all other religions may have some apparent similarities with Biblical truth it mustn't be assumed that that denotes the idea that they're all the same, or even remotely the same.

There are some, if not most, very striking dissimilarities that should be taken into account. I'll have to leave it to you to find out what they are. Do the footwork and you'll see what I mean. It'll be the only way that you'll believe it.

"Maybe, if religions fail to communicate and understand each other, they will never grasp God in his entirety."

I'll have to answer this one though. One very striking difference between the Biblical world view and that of other religions is that the Bible claims absolute exclusivity in the whole and in all it's parts.

I'll give you one verse as an example. 2 Corinthians 4:6

For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Absolute exclusivity. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

The point I'm making is that there's something wrong with the picture painted of this world and this life when we try to reconcile irreconcilable differences to explain it. Can't be done.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 16:28
    Spamming this thread is just an example of your troll like behaviour.

I created this thread out of a genuine interest to discuss karma and how it related to other religions. Clearly you have no interest in discussing the topic (another example of your troll like behaviour) so just go somewhere else to vent your spleen. (Please make it Jupiter).
    Okay RC.

If you lack the wherewithal to keep from making idiotic and contradictory claims (or even understand that they are idiotic and contradictory after it's been explained to you), then how could you begin to understand karma?

Your OP demonstrates that you don't understand the first thing about it.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 16:36
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Okay RC.

If you lack the wherewithal to keep from making idiotic and contradictory claims (or even understand that they are idiotic and contradictory after it's been explained to you), then how could you begin to understand karma?

But you do understand karma. Better than anyone. Please tell us how idiotic we are.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 16:491 edit
    But you do understand karma. Better than anyone. Please tell us how idiotic we are.
    I didn't say that I understand karma better than anyone. Nor did I say that you don't understand karma.

What I did say was that GoaD's OP demonstrates that HE doesn't understand the first thing about karma.

The fact that you've made false claim after false claim on the "Grace and Truth" thread (and now again here) should tell you something about yourself, but it won't if you remain true to form.

The truth will make you free.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 16:532 edits
    Okay RC.

You mean apart from it forming part of my degree? 🙄

Again I refer you back to my OP where both statements appear in the same post without contradiction. - Your follow up post that I later mentioned Jesus as removing the debt of sin is also clearly erroneous as this 'again' appears in my OP. (If you took the time to re-visit it).

I have accepted that 'pay the price' has more than one application, but if you read my OP it is clear which application i was intending.

Seriously dude.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 17:041 edit
    You mean apart from it forming part of my degree? 🙄

Again I refer you back to my OP where both statements appear in the same post without contradiction. - Your follow up post that I later mentioned Jesus as removing the debt of sin is also clearly erroneous as this 'again' appears in my OP. (If you took the time to re-visit it).

I have accepte ...[text shortened]... ication, but if you read my OP it is clear which application i was intending.

Seriously dude.
    Tell you what.

Go back and read our discussion from its entirety. Perhaps then you'll be able to properly present what I've been saying instead of mischaracterizing it.

You mean apart from it forming part of my degree?

If your OP and subsequent posts are any indication of what you learned in getting your degree, you should seriously consider asking for your money back.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 17:05
    I didn't say that I understand karma better than anyone. Nor did I say that you don't understand karma.

What I did say was that GoaD's OP demonstrates that HE doesn't understand the first thing about karma.

The fact that you've made false claim after false claim on the "Grace and Truth" thread (and now again here) should tell you something about yourself, but it won't if you remain true to form.

The truth will make you free.
    Is character assassination the only thing you have in your arsenal?
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 17:09
    Is character assassination the only thing you have in your arsenal?
    Let's see, my pointing out the false claim you made here as well as the false claims that you made on the "Grace and Truth" thread amounts to a 'character assassination'.

You're really something JW.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 17:10
    Tell you what.

Go back and read our discussion from its entirety. Perhaps then you'll be able to properly represent what I've been saying instead of mischaracterizing it.

[b]You mean apart from it forming part of my degree?

If your OP and subsequent post is any indication of what you learned in getting your degree, you should seriously consider asking for your money back.[/b]
    In my day sir, they paid me to get the degree. I returned home from university in credit.

😏
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 17:11
    Hurry Ghost, and follow ToO's directive before you're labeled an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about.

The troll is gonna get you! 😉
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 17:15
    Hurry Ghost, and follow ToO's directive before you're labeled an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about.

The troll is gonna get you! 😉
    You are in serious denial JW. You need to come into the light and out of the darkness.

The truth will make you free

Matthew 6
    22The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 17:44
    You are in serious denial JW. You need to come into the light and out of the darkness.

The truth will make you free

Matthew 6
    22The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!
    Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

Proverbs 16:18

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree