1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 20:20
    Is karma perhaps the one thing that unites all religions?

Hinduism of course is the obvious one. It is our good or bad actions in this life that determine the nature of our next life, following reincarnation. (The same soul Sonship!) - We can extend this to Buddhism and even more directly to Jainism where they go to extreme lengths to avoid bad karma (not killing insects etc).

And Christianity?

'for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.' (Galatians 6)

Doesn't Christianity (and arguably Judaism and Islam) talk repeatedly about us reaping what we sow, that we will be held accountable for our good and bad actions. - Could we not take this principle back even further to Adam and the concept of original sin? Does the modern Christian not believe that mankind has paid the price for the original 'bad karma' and that they were saved as a result of the 'good karma' of Jesus and his atonement?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 21:06
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

Hinduism of course is the obvious one. It is our good or bad actions in this life that determine the nature of our next life, following reincarnation. (The same soul Sonship!) - We can extend this to Buddhism and even more directly to Jainism where they go to extreme lengths to avoid bad ka ...[text shortened]... 'bad karma' and that they were saved as a result of the 'good karma' of Jesus and his atonement?
    How exactly is it that "mankind has paid the price for the original 'bad karma'"?
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 21:102 edits

Hinduism of course is the obvious one. It is our good or bad actions in this life that determine the nature of our next life, following reincarnation. (The same soul Sonship!) - We can extend this to Buddhism and even more directly to Jainism where they go to extreme lengths to avoid bad ka ...[text shortened]... 'bad karma' and that they were saved as a result of the 'good karma' of Jesus and his atonement?
    Hinduism of course is the obvious one. It is our good or bad actions in this life that determine the nature of our next life, following reincarnation

What do you think the following is getting at?

One of the earliest association of karma to causality occurs in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad of Hinduism. For example, at 4.4.5-6, it states:

Now as a man is like this or like that,
    according as he acts and according as he behaves, so will he be;
    a man of good acts will become good, a man of bad acts, bad;
    he becomes pure by pure deeds, bad by bad deeds;

And here they say that a person consists of desires,
    and as is his desire, so is his will;
    and as is his will, so is his deed;
    and whatever deed he does, that he will reap.

— Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, 7th Century BCE[18][19]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma
    [
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 22:054 edits

Every faith I might think of off hand has some kind of reaping what one sows. And some might generally call this Karma.

However, (you know there has to be however), the book of Job is the oldest book in the Bible. Job being the first written book of the Bible wrestles with the problem, bigtime of - "Why do BAD things happen to GOOD people?"

As you should know Job is a thoroughly righteous man for all practical purposes. He is exceptionally upright, upstanding, right with God and with man, virtually impeccable. He is "as good as they come". And horrendous misfortune befalls Job in a cascade of personal tragedies.

Three probably world renown (at that time) wise men, his friends, spend almost the entire book trying to convince Job that he simply MUST be reaping bad consequences for some hidden sin.

He knows that he is being unfairly singled out for terrible calamity from God. He maintains his innocence throughout the great poetic debate.

Interesting it is that the oldest book of the Bible right away deals with the exception. Sometimes a "good" person may undergo very bad "karma" if you will.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 22:431 edit
    Whether you are religious or not everyone has an idea of karma.
    The Hindus just gave this deep seated feeling a name and an angle.

The Buddhists and others maintain that once you get rid of bad karma that your next goal should be to get rid of the good karma as well.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 22:50
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    How exactly is it that "mankind has paid the price for the original 'bad karma'"?
    I feel like I've been born into a world where I'm dealing with past bad karma from others who came before me. However I do see this as a part of my own karma and learning... to a point.

For example I deal with the past karma of racist and sexist men who I don't even know but by virtue of being white and male have to deal with. (Well I don't HAVE to but doing nothing only makes things worse in this respect.)
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 22:57
    In the pagan era they had a concept called Wyrd (which turned into the modern word weird), which is almost identical to Karma, except you can change it.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 23:57
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I feel like I've been born into a world where I'm dealing with past bad karma from others who came before me. However I do see this as a part of my own karma and learning... to a point.

For example I deal with the past karma of racist and sexist men who I don't even know but by virtue of being white and male have to deal with. (Well I don't HAVE to but doing nothing only makes things worse in this respect.)

The descendants of slaves and the descendants of slave owners can come together in the church are realize our common enemy is destroyed by the work of Christ.

The slave's descendants and the slave owner's descendants may rejoice together that in Christ their respective pasts are Christ. Their history is Christ. Their legacy is Christ.

In Christ they stand before God if they had never sinned. When a critical mass of people on the earth stand upon this truth, we will bring the Lord Jesus back.

Your guilty feeling for your forefathers cannot remove one sin. The blood of Christ's redemption looses us from our sins, obliterating the stain, demolishing the past.

I am a descendant of slaves. In the victorious church there cannot be slave or free.

" For as many as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There cannot be Jew nor Greek, there cannot be slave nor free man, there cannot be make and female; for you are all one in Christ." (Galatians 3:27,28)

When we realize the power of Christ's redemption and recognize the common enemy Satan, we will put that little snake into the lake of fire, and "the desire of the nations" will come.

God is recovering the oneness. Christ needs a stepping stone, a beachhead to turn the age.

www.localchurches.org
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 02:19

Reaping and sowing isn't in any way related to karma. Karma is a cheap imitation. It is superstition.

The here and now is by God's design. It's here and now that we reap what we sow whether it be good or bad. Sow what is right and you'll reap good. Sow what is wrong and you'll reap bad. And this life is our only opportunity to prove ourselves. That simple.

You may now rest easy knowing the truth. 😉
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 04:06
    Originally posted by sonship
    The descendants of slaves and the descendants of slave owners can come together in the church are realize our common enemy is destroyed by the work of Christ.

The slave's descendants and the slave owner's descendants may rejoice together that in Christ their respective pasts are Christ. Their history is Christ. Their legacy is Christ.
    You believe "Christ" freed the slaves in the U.S. in the C19th?
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 06:54
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    If a Christian believes they have been born into original sin (as a result of Adam's first sin) is this not a case of paying the price?
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 07:021 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Reaping and sowing isn't in any way related to karma. Karma is a cheap imitation. It is superstition.

The here and now is by God's design. It's here and now that we reap what we sow whether it be good or bad. Sow what is right and you'll reap good. Sow what is wrong and you'll reap bad. And this life is our only opportunity to prove ourselves. That simple.

You may now rest easy knowing the truth. 😉
    Take a deep objective breath Joe. 🙂

This thread is not intended as an affront to Christianity, but an exploration of karma (which is just a word). If it's easier for you, forget the word and think on the meaning of the word, that, for example, a Hindu and a Christian both believe you reap what you sow. I fully understand that a Hindu believes this reaping occurs in a future life and a Christian at the end of this one, but nonetheless they are united in the belief that good and bad actions have future consequences. (So to say reaping and sowing isn't in any way related to karma is reactionary and defensive rather than genuinely reflective).
  13. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 09:301 edit

This thread is not intended as an affront to Christianity, but an exploration of karma (which is just a word). If it's easier for you, forget the word and think on the meaning of the word, that, for example, a Hindu and a Christian both believe you reap what you sow. I fully understand that a Hindu believes thi ...[text shortened]... sn't in any way related to karma is reactionary and defensive rather than genuinely reflective).
    By 'good' and 'bad' actions do you mean actions that are universally 'good' or 'bad' or only the subjective opinions of men about what is 'good' or 'bad' ? 😉
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 11:38

This thread is not intended as an affront to Christianity, but an exploration of karma (which is just a word). If it's easier for you, forget the word and think on the meaning of the word, that, for example, a Hindu and a Christian both believe you reap what you sow. I fully understand that a Hindu believes thi ...[text shortened]... sn't in any way related to karma is reactionary and defensive rather than genuinely reflective).
    I wasn't on the defensive Ghost.

"Does the modern Christian not believe that mankind has paid the price for the original 'bad karma' and that they were saved as a result of the 'good karma' of Jesus and his atonement?"

No. In no way is a man able to pay for their sins except by death. "The wages of sin is death". The price of redemption was a perfect sinless sacrifice of which only Jesus could pay. Simple. That's it. No more blathering on about anything else as an option to the Truth.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 11:43
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    By 'good' and 'bad' actions do you mean actions that are universally 'good' or 'bad' or only the subjective opinions of men about what is 'good' or 'bad' ? 😉
    The thread makes clear we are talking about all religions and how the concept of karma or reaping what you sow unites them. (Not every thread I create has to be from an atheist perspective).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree