1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '21 07:19
    In matters relating to the spiritual and/or religious beliefs ~ or the absence of such beliefs ~ what steps do posters here actively take to avoid or counteract confirmation bias, if any?
  2. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    30 Dec '21 09:011 edit
    @fmf said
    In matters relating to the spiritual and/or religious beliefs ~ or the absence of such beliefs ~ what steps do posters here actively take to avoid or counteract confirmation bias, if any?
    By definition counteracting confirmation bias is impossible. The spirituality posts are heaving at the seems with it - you can’t avoid it. My strategy? Ignore it; it is beneath contempt in this forum, as intelligent discussion is doomed when confronted with it. Wait, is that confirmation bias?? Oh, sod it…..
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '21 10:09
    @pianoman1 said
    By definition counteracting confirmation bias is impossible.
    I'm don't think this is true. If I watch stuff on Youtube, it's hardly ever atheists talking; it's most likely to be theists talking. In the 1990s, on my visits to the UK, the op-eds in The Guardian were probably going to reflect [back at me] views I mostly shared, but I used to read The Daily Telegraph during those summers instead.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Dec '21 10:10
    @fmf said
    Non sequitur.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Dec '21 10:13
    @fmf said
    I'm don't think this is true. If I watch stuff on Youtube, it's hardly ever atheists talking; it's most likely to be theists talking. In the 1990s, on my visits to the UK, the op-eds in The Guardian were probably going to reflect [back at me] views I mostly shared, but I used to read The Daily Telegraph during those summers instead.
    Oh, I'm sorry, my last reply should have been "Nonsensical".

My reply to THIS one is "non sequitur".
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Dec '21 10:15
    But then I don't usually participate in anything called an "echo chamber" if I can avoid it.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '21 10:20
    @suzianne said
    Non sequitur.
    No, it isn't. Nor is it nonsensical.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '21 10:23
    @suzianne said

I don't think you know what the word "non-sequitur" actually means.

Confirmation bias means mostly or only referring to sources or opinions that agree with you.

The two examples I gave were instances of me trying to counteract any confirmation bias I might otherwise engage in.
  9. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    30 Dec '21 10:42
    @fmf said
    it's hardly ever atheists talking; it's most likely to be theists talking

Agreed. Certainly on RHP.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Dec '21 11:25
    @pianoman1 said
    it's hardly ever atheists talking; it's most likely to be theists talking

Agreed. Certainly on RHP.
    Do you think only theists have that type of bias?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '21 11:38
    @kellyjay said
    Do you think only theists have that type of bias?
    Confirmation bias is tapped into in all parts of the public domain, whether it be politics, left and right, or religion, atheism and theism, or anything else that involves people assuming postures and subscribing to ideas.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '21 15:56
    @suzianne said
    Non sequitur.
    How can an OP be a non sequitur?

Within the OP where is the non sequitur?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '21 15:57
    @suzianne said

How is the OP nonsensical?

It’s a well formatted question, on forum topic and deserving of some thought.
  14. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    30 Dec '21 16:45
    @fmf said
    the only thing i do is self-defeating so i reverse myself and then reverse again and again
    the one step i use here at the pawn is the gbaway script
    only a few posters ever make the list, and if/when any poster is prolific,
    several posts in a row,
    or multiple posts in a thread,
    i'll have to satisfy my curiosity by unblocking myself*, allowing me to absorb the (usually) vapid garbage, and then, reblocking

i do my best to read all the stuff presented, even if i cannot agree or understand why

* the gbaway script doesn't block anyone
    it just prevents me from seeing the turds smeared on the page
    and this is not always a good thing, i.e. 'the echo chamber', so i try to use it sparingly
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Dec '21 17:38
    @fmf said
    Confirmation bias is tapped into in all parts of the public domain, whether it be politics, left and right, or religion, atheism and theism, or anything else that involves people assuming postures and subscribing to ideas.
    Wow, I agree with you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree