1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 14:292 edits
    Originally posted by duecer
    From coffman's commentary: This maxim seems to have been triggered in Mark's mind by the mention of fire in the previous verses. And what is the meaning? If we understand "fire" as a reference to the persecutions and tribulations that invariably beset the Christian pilgrimage, it means that none shall be saved except through the endurance of the world's scorn uperstition that this is a reference to all souls passing through the fires of purgatory!
    ======================================
    From coffman's commentary: This maxim seems to have been triggered in Mark's mind by the mention of fire in the previous verses. And what is the meaning? If we understand "fire" as a reference to the persecutions and tribulations that invariably beset the Christian pilgrimage, it means that none shall be saved except through the endurance of the world's scorn and opposition.

Paul expressed this thought as "All that live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution" (2 Timothy 3:12). Of course, this is a difficult verse, and all kinds of notions have been advocated as the meaning of it. Certainly, we may set aside the superstition that this is a reference to all souls passing through the fires of purgatory!
    =================================

That is interesting. I am always opened to hear a reasonable commentory.

And I will also include for consideration the footnote to Mark 9:49 in the Recovery Version.

www.recoveryversion.org

"For everyone will be salted with fire" (Mark 9:49)

" This is the refining fire (Mal. 3:2), the purifying, purging fire, as in 1 Cor. 3:13,14 (cf. Isa. 33:14), which, as a dispensational punishment in the kingdom age, will purge the believers who commit sin and are unrepentant in this age (see note 43[5]). Even in this age God purges the believers through trials as if by fire (1 Pet. 1:7; 4:12,17). Dispensational punishment by fire in the coming age is in the same principle as God's chastisement through sufferings as if by fire in this age."

My note: Dispensational punishment of believers during the coming millennial kingdom is not the Catholic "purgatory" in which some people are being punished in fire after death but can be redeemed out by "endulgances" paid to the Catholic hierarchical priestly system.

If you would like to discuss this more with me, you may choose to take it over to the thread Dispensational Punishment of Christians. But that's up to you.

I agree that it is a difficult passage.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Aug '09 01:43
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Where was the Lake of Fire established as acting in a specific way?
    Revelation 20:10

10And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

I gave this to you before in context, but just incase you missed it.
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 13:40
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Revelation 20:10

10And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

I gave this to you before in context, but just incase you missed it.
    Kelly
    Place marker for Rajk999

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree