1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 00:46
    [1] What actual deterrent effect [and behaviour modification effect] do you think the threat of being tortured for eternity in burning agony has on people who don't think any such thing happens and do not subscribe to the belief system that includes this supposed punishment or fate?

[2] If the threat of being tortured for eternity in burning agony has no deterrent effect [in terms of behaviour] on non-believers, what would be the actual purpose of torturing billions of these non-believers for eternity in burning agony rather than simply allowing their existence to end?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 01:281 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    [1] What actual deterrent effect [and behaviour modification effect] do you think the threat of being tortured for eternity in burning agony has on people who don't think any such thing happens and do not subscribe to the belief system that includes this supposed punishment or fate?

[2] If the threat of being tortured for eternity in burning agony has no det ...[text shortened]... non-believers for eternity in burning agony rather than simply allowing their existence to end?
    Good questions which I have no answer for...

1. In my opinion, it would cause "some" to fear God, but not a biblical fear (reverence). I would say more of a dread of torture and not love.

2. Good question. It gives God a characteristic which I do not believe He has.

I know where you are going with this and I have to say, I agree with you..
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 01:34
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Good questions which I have no answer for...

1. In my opinion, it would cause "some" to fear God, but not a biblical fear (reverence). I would say more of a dread of torture and not love.

2. Good question. It gives God a characteristic which I do not believe He has.

I know where you are going with this and I have to say, I agree with you..
    I am mindful of the fact that not all Christians subscribe to a belief in the "being tortured for eternity in burning agony" theology.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 02:452 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am mindful of the fact that not all Christians subscribe to a belief in the "being tortured for eternity in burning agony" theology.
    Hell is separation from God.

I don't know what all this entails, but I'm sure it is not good. How could it be?

Those that follow Jesus have no fear of hell, and those who do not don't believe hell exists.

Granted, there may be those who have never heard the message.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 02:471 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

[2] If the threat of being tortured for eternity in burning agony has no det ...[text shortened]... non-believers for eternity in burning agony rather than simply allowing their existence to end?
    [1] None

[2] It proves to the believer that God hates sin and does not lie, but keeps His promises, forever.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 03:27
    Originally posted by whodey
    Those that follow Jesus have no fear of hell...
    But "Hell" is for punishing "sin" ~ yes? ~ and those that follow Jesus are "sinners". What is the point of the notion or threat of "Hell" for those who follow Jesus if they do not fear it?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 03:31
    FMF: "[1] What actual deterrent effect [of] the threat of being tortured for eternity ...on people who don't think any such thing happens?"

Originally posted by RJHinds
    [1] None
    What is the point of a deterrent that is not credible?

What is the point of a deterrent to people who tell themselves they are not going to "heaven" because Jesus has already atoned for their "sins"?

whodey says "Those that follow Jesus have no fear of hell". So who exactly is the deterrent supposed to deter?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 06:182 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    What is the point of a deterrent that is not credible?

What is the point of a deterrent to people who tell themselves they are not going to "heaven" because Jesus has already atoned for their "sins"?

whodey says "Those that follow Jesus have no fear of hell". So who exactly is the deterrent supposed to deter?
    So who exactly is the deterrent supposed to deter?

Apparently those that believe it. It may be part of the process of dividing the sheep from the goats or the wheat from the chaff.

Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

(Matthew 3:12 KJV)

When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire prepared for Satan and his angels:

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

(Matthew 25:31-33, 41, 46 KJV)
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 09:06
    Originally posted by FMF

The only effect it has is to put people off the Gospel.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 09:13
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The only effect it has is to put people off the Gospel.
    It seems you may have finally hit on the reason for yet another thread on this topic.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 09:54
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It seems you may have finally hit on the reason for yet another thread on this topic.
    Two of your skulls are now being eternally crushed under my boot as we speak.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 09:56
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Do you think there are many people in this forum seeking god who will be put off?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 10:582 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    But "Hell" is for punishing "sin" ~ yes? ~ and those that follow Jesus are "sinners". What is the point of the notion or threat of "Hell" for those who follow Jesus if they do not fear it?
    You are assuming a few things here.

1. Hell is not simply a natural state once rejecting God.

2. There are other alternatives to rejecting God that are not as bad.

3. The Soul can be destroyed, that is, what JW"s believe will happen.

I don't believe "hell" to be actual fire as we know it. To think that would be to believe that Satan and his demon followers were human like us instead of spiritual beings.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 11:02
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Do you think there are many people in this forum seeking god who will be put off?
    If hell existed, should God warn people?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 11:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    I don't believe "hell" to be actual fire as we know it.
    Well if you don't believe in the supposed reality of "being tortured for eternity in burning agony" for being an unbeliever/"sinner", then the OP is not aimed at your beliefs. There are several Christians here who do believe in the "eternal torture" ideology; this OP is a reference to their beliefs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree