1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 23:17
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    You are correct. I guess Christ was mistaken, and apparently not the first time either.
    Never answer a question you don't know the answer to.

Fall back on sarcasm to cover for your incompetency.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Sep '14 07:24
    Originally posted by josephw
    Do you know the difference between the lake of fire and hell?
    Isn't the Lake of Fire just one of the stops on the Hell sight-seeing tour?
    It's a must see apparently ... but the souvenir shop is a rip-off.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '14 07:58
    Do you know the difference between answering a question with an answer rather an another question?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '14 08:00
    No please explain, including answering my original question

..."tortured for eternity in burning agony", is disingenuous and misleading, as well as inflammatory.

divegeester replied
    Your amusing use of "inflammatory" does not distract from the interesting self denial that you are displaying. Can you explain how the mechanics of the "eternal" place "hell" will not involve "torture" and "burning agony"?
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Sep '14 11:33
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Who is conducting said torture?
    Presumably "God" by tossing them into that big old lake of fire in the first place, and then doing whatever it has to do to ensure that those poor flammable souls equipped with pain receptors (and teeth ... lets not forget those!) can burn forever and ever and ever and ... and ever.

Indeed this "God" character would have to take a direct role if not only to regenerate burnt-out soul ad-infinitum.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '14 17:08
    Originally posted by whodey
    If hell existed, should God warn people?
    Wouldn't it be more efficient to simply not create and maintain a lake of eternal burning torture in the first place?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Sep '14 15:41
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Do you think there are many people in this forum seeking god who will be put off?
    There are VERY few in this thread who are 'seeking god'.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Sep '14 15:42
    If hell existed, should God warn people?
    Are you really asking this?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Sep '14 15:51
    So, if that verse is saying that the soul is destroyed in hell, what are all those that died doing standing before God being judged and then subsequently cast into the lake of fire if their souls were destroyed in hell?

I think the verse above has to do with the fear of God, and is not a proof text for the destruction of the soul.
    It's not saying that the souls 'is', 'are' or 'were' destroyed in Hell, it says there is One who is *able* to destroy souls in Hell. This happens after Judgement. That's what the Lake of Fire is for.

Of course the verse is about the fear of God. But, "He who is able to destroy the soul in Hell" is a pretty good reason to fear God. It's saying "Don't fear men. Fear God." and then it merely underlines a reason why. Fear men, and you just live your life in fear. Fear God, and you're halfway to the Light already.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Sep '14 17:57
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It's not saying that the souls 'is', 'are' or 'were' destroyed in Hell, it says there is One who is *able* to destroy souls in Hell. This happens after Judgement. That's what the Lake of Fire is for.

Of course the verse is about the fear of God. But, "He who is able to destroy the soul in Hell" is a pretty good reason to fear God. It's saying ...[text shortened]... ar men, and you just live your life in fear. Fear God, and you're halfway to the Light already.
    As I've said, fearing God is just shunning evil.

Funny thing, if I steal, kill, take drugs, have promiscous sex, etc., bad things tend to happen you you in this world.

What makes people think the next life will be any different?
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    07 Sep '14 19:332 edits
    As I've said, fearing God is just shunning evil.

Funny thing, if I steal, kill, take drugs, have promiscous sex, etc., bad things tend to happen you you in this world.

What makes people think the next life will be any different?
    The difference is, that in this world, bad things happen only for a finite amount of time. The proposition you fundies are putting forward is that an insanely cruel and unwarranted torture, instigated by your god, will persist for an infinite amount of time. You are painting the god you believe in as a total and complete dickhead - a being more hideous and depraved than any person who has ever lived.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Sep '14 20:131 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    The difference is, that in this world, bad things happen only for a finite amount of time. The proposition you fundies are putting forward is that an insanely cruel and unwarranted torture, instigated by your god, will persist for an infinite amount of time. You are painting the god you believe in as a total and complete dickhead - a being more hideous and depraved than any person who has ever lived.
    He died on the cross for you and you scoff at him.

Would you just rather this world of sin to continue to torture and kill people for all of eternity, or would you prefer him just to force people to act right?
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    07 Sep '14 20:47

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    07 Sep '14 20:482 edits
    He died on the cross for you and you scoff at him.

Would you just rather this world of sin to continue to torture and kill people for all of eternity, or would you prefer him just to force people to act right?
    No Whodey, let's get it right ... supposing for a moment that the Biblical events are true, he died on the cross for himself. He decided that the price to be paid for anyone acting against his wishes is death and torture. He then sent a variant of himself to be sacrificed to himself in order to pay for that debt. He would then use this as a stick to coerce people into praising him and telling him how wonderful he is for fear of being cast into the lake.
    The crucifixion is one of the most repugnant (and rationally ****ed up) aspects of all Christianity - there is nothing virtuous about it. I divorce myself as being any recipient of benefit from that act.

Your last paragraph doesn't read very well - I cannot comment on it in the current form.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Sep '14 21:00
    Originally posted by Agerg
    No Whodey, let's get it right ... supposing for a moment that the Biblical events are true, he died on the cross for [b]himself. He decided that the price to be paid for anyone acting against his wishes is death and torture. He then sent a variant of himself to be sacrificed to himself in order to pay for that debt. He would then use this as a stick to coe ...[text shortened]... t.

Your last paragraph doesn't read very well - I cannot comment on it in the current form.[/b]
    He did not die on the cross for Himself, but for us! Why in the world would
    He or anyone want to die like that?
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree