1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 12:54
    There once was a man called Frank whom the god Odin sent to do some propheting. As he was nearing a big town, some children came up to him and called him "bald". Many times.

We don't know if Frank was really bald, this information has been lost in time. What we do know is that he took this mocking very badly. He turned around and called on Odin to judge those children.

Odin sent 2 bears and those bears tore forty-two of those children to shreds.

Was what Odin did evil or not?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 13:00
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    There once was a man called Frank whom the god Odin sent to do some propheting. As he was nearing a big town, some children came up to him and called him "bald". Many times.

We don't know if Frank was really bald, this information has been lost in time. What we do know is that he took this mocking very badly. He turned around and called on Odin to judge ...[text shortened]... those children to shreds.

Was what Odin did evil or not?
    Trying to slip one in there Zahlanzi?
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 13:121 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    evil or not? common, first instinct.

42 children were killed because 3 or 4 called Frank bald. is this act evil?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 14:56
    A little backround on the ministry of Elisha
    From The Life Study of 1rst and 2nd Kings by W. Lee, Living Stream Ministry.

LIFE-STUDY OF FIRST AND SECOND KINGS
    MESSAGE THIRTEEN
    ELISHA'S MINISTRY OF GRACE
    Scripture Reading: 2 Kings 2:19-25; 4:1—6:7

In this message we will consider what is revealed in 2 Kings concerning Elisha's ministry of grace.
    I. ELIJAH BEING A TYPE OF JOHN THE BAPTIST
    IN CONVICTING PEOPLE UNTO DEATH

Elijah was a type of John the Baptist in convicting people unto death (Luke 1:17; Matt. 11:11, 14; 3:1-2, 6-11a). John the Baptist, who came before Christ, ushered in Christ. This is typified by

Elijah's ushering in Elisha.
    II. ELISHA BEING A TYPE OF CHRIST
    IN DOING MIRACLES OF GRACE IN LIFE

Elisha was a type of Christ in doing miracles of grace in life. Elijah did some great miracles, such as closing up the heavens so that it might not rain and calling down fire from heaven to consume the burnt offering and the water that had been poured upon it. However, when Elisha came in to replace him, he did not perform wonders. Instead, Elisha did miracles of grace in life.

Many Christians pay attention to miracles, but they neglect the matters of grace and life or speak of them in a very shallow way. Paul emphasized grace very much in the book of Romans. In Romans justification by grace is unto the reigning in life (3:24; 5:17-18). Grace in life is, therefore, a crucial matter in Romans.

Grace is God doing everything for us by giving Himself to us as our enjoyment. This grace issues in the divine life, which is rich and high, even unto making us co-kings with Christ. However, among today's Christians it is not likely that one will hear a message telling the believers that God's grace issues in the divine life for us to reign as kings.

Skipping down over many significant lessons from the ministry of Elisha -

G. Cursing the Mocking Boys

In 2 Kings 2:23-24 Elisha cursed the mocking boys to be torn up by two female bears out of the woods. Those who think that the Lord Jesus did not do the same thing in principle need to read the Gospel of Matthew again. Matthew 3:12 says that the wheat will be gathered into the Lord's barn but that He will burn the chaff with unquenchable fire. To be sure, this burning of the chaff is a curse. Furthermore, in Matthew 12:31-32, 34 the Lord Jesus warned the Pharisees concerning an unforgivable sin, the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. In Matthew 23 He spoke eight woes to the scribes and Pharisees. This was His curse to them.

By all of the foregoing we can see that Elisha was a very accurate type of Christ. Elisha changed the age in type, and the Lord Jesus did the same thing in fulfillment. Today we are in the changed age, the age of the fulfillment of God's New Testament economy.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 15:08
    Lol.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 17:52
    Originally posted by sonship
    A little backround on the ministry of [b]Elisha
    From The Life Study of 1rst and 2nd Kings by W. Lee, Living Stream Ministry.

LIFE-STUDY OF FIRST AND SECOND KINGS
    MESSAGE THIRTEEN
    ELISHA'S MINISTRY OF GRACE
    Scripture Reading: 2 Kings 2:19-25; 4:1—6:7

In this message we will consider what is revealed in 2 Kings concernin ...[text shortened]... y we are in the changed age, the age of the fulfillment of God's New Testament economy.
    [/b]
    they were children. mocking someone bald. once. and they were ripped to shreds by bears

BEARS

42 children died. by bear.

Evil or not?
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 18:31
    they were children. mocking someone bald. once. and they were ripped to shreds by bears

BEARS

Evil or not?
    Come on old chap, even as an atheist i can see the over simplification you've made of the passage. It could just as easily be argued that the biblical translation is youths rather than children and that 42 being mauled hints more towards a hostile and threatening demonstration or rabble than a small group of lads just back from the ice cream van. Even the 'baldness' is not as straightforward as it sounds and is more likely a religious attack than a reflection of him being folically challenged.

Okay, not saying i agree with the whole bear thing. But if Hinds is to be believed it could just as easily have been dinosaurs. (Which of course would have resulted in a higher body count).
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 21:45
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Come on old chap, even as an atheist i can see the over simplification you've made of the passage. It could just as easily be argued that the biblical translation is youths rather than children and that 42 being mauled hints more towards a hostile and threatening demonstration or rabble than a small group of lads just back from the ice cream van. Eve ...[text shortened]... ust as easily have been dinosaurs. (Which of course would have resulted in a higher body count).
    i have no idea what you're talking about. i proposed a thought experiment about Frank, the prophet of Odin, and how Odin killed 42 children because Frank is sensitive about his baldness and Odin is sensitive about Frank being mocked for his baldness.

It has NOTHING to do with the bible. NOTHING I SAY!

So, evil or not?
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 22:47
    evil or not? common, first instinct.

42 children were killed because 3 or 4 called Frank bald. is this act evil?
    I know where you got the narrative Zahlanzi. You are out of context.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 22:502 edits

BEARS

Evil or not?
    Matthew 3:12 says that the wheat will be gathered into the Lord's barn but that He will burn the chaff with unquenchable fire. To be sure, this burning of the chaff is a curse. Furthermore, in Matthew 12:31-32, 34 the Lord Jesus warned the Pharisees concerning an unforgivable sin, the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. In Matthew 23 He spoke eight woes to the scribes and Pharisees. This was His curse to them.

Evil or not ?

No, Christ does not here commit an evil sin.
    Yes, what happened to those punished we can say was an evil thing in terms of their well-being.

That is "evil" as in calamity, disaster, misfortune, loss of well being.

Isaiah 45:7

English Standard Version
    I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the LORD, who does all these things.

New American Standard Bible
    The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these.

King James Bible
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
    I form light and create darkness, I make success and create disaster; I, Yahweh, do all these things."

International Standard Version
    "I form light and create darkness, I make goodness and create disaster. I am the LORD, who does all these things.

Jubilee Bible 2000
    I form the light and create darkness; I make peace and create evil: I am the LORD that does all this.

King James 2000 Bible
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create calamity: I the LORD do all these things.

American King James Version
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

American Standard Version
    I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.

Douay-Rheims Bible
    I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord that do all these things.

Darby Bible Translation
    forming the light and creating darkness, making peace and creating evil: I, Jehovah, do all these things.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '15 00:13
    I know where you got the narrative Zahlanzi. You are out of context.
    evil or not.

maybe you think some time to think?

42 children killed over an insult must be a grey issue for you and you need more details.

would you like to call a friend?
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '15 00:16
    Originally posted by sonship
    Matthew 3:12 says that the wheat will be gathered into the Lord's barn but that He will burn the chaff with unquenchable fire. To be sure, this burning of the chaff is a curse. Furthermore, in Matthew 12:31-32, 34 the Lord Jesus warned the Pharisees concerning an unforgivable sin, the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. In Matthew 23 He spoke ...[text shortened]... g darkness, [b] making peace and creating evil: I, Jehovah, do all these things.
    [/b]
    " No, Christ does not here commit an evil sin."
    I am confused, did you not read the original post?

Christ is not a character in the story. It is the story about Frank the bald prophet of Odin.
    Was what Odin did evil or not? i don't understand why you must use the bible on a simple ethical thought experiment.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Jun '15 00:26

Christ is not a character in the story. It is the story about Frank the bald prophet of Odin.
    Was what Odin did evil or not? i don't understand why you must use the bible on a simple ethical thought experiment.
    Odin doesn't exist. You made him up in order to mock God.

Mocking God.

Evil or not?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '15 00:39
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Odin doesn't exist. You made him up in order to mock God.

Mocking God.

Evil or not?
    In your view, is Zahlanzi being evil on this thread?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jun '15 01:251 edit

I know nothing about Odin except what I saw in the old movie The Vikings with Tony Curtis and Kurt Douglas.

I take it that you are really alluding to the biblical prophet Elisha. Whatever game you're playing, my comments had Elisha in Second Kings in view as he was a type of Christ. That's how Christ came into the picture.

Elisha is a shadow or type of Christ.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree