Evil or Not? Episode 1

Evil or Not? Episode 1

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
18 Jun 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
And we have a winner!

😀
You're too kind! Thanks. 😉

F

Moves
18 Jun 15
1 edit

Originally posted by josephw
Are you going to say that the OP isn't a ploy?
It's a 'thought experiment' on the topic of evil. This is a debate and discussion forum for people, to a large degree, who disagree with each other and who want to discuss ideas. If you don't like 'thought experiments' and look upon them instead as "ploys" rather than opportunities to engage ideas you disagree with ~ to varying degrees of seriousness and playfulness ~ and to engage the people who have them, then perhaps this particular topic is simply not one for you.

Vivify might be exaggerating a tad, but he does have a resonating point when he says "...any and EVERY hypothetical that could possibly could put Christianity in a negative light if answered, always seems to be attacked by Christians for five pages before any answer is attempted...if any answer is attempted at all" and, as far as I can make out, he's referring to posters like you and Suzianne.

rain

Moves
18 Jun 15

Originally posted by FMF
It's a 'thought experiment' on the topic of evil. This is a debate and discussion forum for people, to a large degree, who disagree with each other and who want to discuss ideas. If you don't like 'thought experiments' and look upon them instead as "ploys" rather than opportunities to engage ideas you disagree with ~ to varying degrees of seriousness and playful ...[text shortened]... ted at all" and, as far as I can make out, he's referring to posters like you and Suzianne.[/b]
I'm actually not exaggerating; I'm speaking from experience. The same thing happened when I started a thread with a hypothetical. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt by trying to see it from their side, but it soon became clear that they simply resent any thought experiment that could possibly result in their questioning of their beliefs.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?subject=If_it%27s_proven_there%27s_no_god&threadid=163707

Took 8 pages of arguing before a Christian finally attempted to answer the OP.

F

Moves
18 Jun 15

Originally posted by vivify
I'm actually not exaggerating; I'm speaking from experience. The same thing happened when I started a thread with a hypothetical. [...] Took 8 pages of arguing before a Christian finally attempted to answer the OP.
Indeed, it happens seemingly almost all the time. 😉

Z

Moves
18 Jun 15

No. I don't need more information. I need clarity and truth.

Quite frankly, I don't believe a mere mortal has the right to judge between good and evil. That's why we Christians turn to the Word of God to define what is good and evil.

Fundamentally, if one thinks that a perfect being is capable of making errors, that one knows not God. Simply put. If on ...[text shortened]... e LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
" I don't need more information. I need clarity and truth."
that means you need more information.

"Quite frankly, I don't believe a mere mortal has the right to judge between good and evil."
wtf does that mean? that you need to be told what is good or evil? stem cell research is nowhere in the bible, does it mean you are incapable of deciding if it's evil or not? are cars evil? modern medicine? smartphones?

"Fundamentally, if one thinks that a perfect being is capable of making errors, that one knows not God."
i am not going to repeat that MY god didn't make errors because he simply didn't do those horrible things (and at least in the case of the flood, we know for a fact he didn't).

i just want to address the horrible implications of your statement.
so no matter how many children God deliberately kills (hypothetically), you will never say "dude, that's quite evil"? if he demands one child as a daily sacrifice, you will never say "enough, i will not perform this evil act any longer, i don't care what hell you send me to" ?

"The law of the LORD is perfect"
yes, the bible says the bible is perfect. i am beyond pointing out how idiotic that is.

Z

Moves
18 Jun 15

And we have a winner!

😀
dumb and dumber congratulating each other. it is so adorable.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 Jun 15

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
" I don't need more information. I need clarity and truth."
that means you need more information.

"Quite frankly, I don't believe a mere mortal has the right to judge between good and evil."
wtf does that mean? that you need to be told what is good or evil? stem cell research is nowhere in the bible, does it mean you are incapable of deciding if it's ...[text shortened]... erfect"
yes, the bible says the bible is perfect. i am beyond pointing out how idiotic that is.
No, what is idiotic is that you cannot see that God is without sin, PERIOD.

Z

Moves
18 Jun 15

No, what is idiotic is that you cannot see that God is without sin, PERIOD.
murdering children is without sin? sure, why not. you can defy sin as "item on a list God said humans must not to do" and then indeed God is without sin.

murdering children is evil, and if god murders children he is evil. PERIOD.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Jun 15

murdering children is without sin? sure, why not. you can defy sin as "item on a list God said humans must not to do" and then indeed God is without sin.

You must remember that Suzianne is for a woman's right to choose. 😏

Z

Moves
18 Jun 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
You must remember that Suzianne is for a woman's right to choose. 😏
so?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
18 Jun 15

Originally posted by FMF
It's a 'thought experiment' on the topic of evil. This is a debate and discussion forum for people, to a large degree, who disagree with each other and who want to discuss ideas. If you don't like 'thought experiments' and look upon them instead as "ploys" rather than opportunities to engage ideas you disagree with ~ to varying degrees of seriousness and playful ...[text shortened]... ted at all" and, as far as I can make out, he's referring to posters like you and Suzianne.[/b]
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/thought-experiment/

It's a ploy. At best it's a non-constructive thought experiment. The OP clearly reflects the bias of its originator and is structured to pose a dilemma for those who's faith is in an infallible God.

Here's one for you and whoever to ponder over.

Matthew 21:42-45
Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?
Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.
And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.
And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them.

Is it evil that those for whom Jesus should fall upon be ground to powder for rejecting Him, while those who fall upon Jesus should be broken?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
18 Jun 15

dumb and dumber congratulating each other. it is so adorable.
I'd rather be counted among the dumb than to be spiritually bereft of the knowledge of God.

Why can't you fathom the idea of an infallible God Zahlanzi? Is your intellect that shallow? Or is it you just can't stand the idea of losing autonomy? Try that one on as a "thought experiment"!

Z

Moves
18 Jun 15

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/thought-experiment/

It's a ploy. At best it's a non-constructive thought experiment. The OP clearly reflects the bias of its originator and is structured to pose a dilemma for those who's faith is in an infallible God.

Here's one for you and whoever to ponder over.

Matthew 21:42-45
Jesus saith unto them, Did ye nev ...[text shortened]... ll upon be ground to powder for rejecting Him, while those who fall upon Jesus should be broken?
"The OP clearly reflects the bias of its originator and is structured to pose a dilemma for those who's faith is in an infallible God."
do you have faith in Odin, the infallible God? do you believe odin is real? if not, what is the problem? do you believe you stump me with your awesome debating skills by going on and on about anything but the subject?
we both know you CANNOT just come out and say it was evil because obviously this is word for word the elisha story, better known as "that time when OT god killed children with bears" story. and if you dare say it was evil, as any sane man would, you will burn in hell for all eternity.

fine, just for you:

forget the OP. odin obviously doesn't exist. there is no frank either.

two men from the human race are walking down the street. one child mocks man no1 for being bald. man no1 turns to man no2 and asks "what punishment does this child deserve?"

man no2 shoots the kid until he is dead. one kid died, not 42.

evil or not? will you finally answer now?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
18 Jun 15

"The OP clearly reflects the bias of its originator and is structured to pose a dilemma for those who's faith is in an infallible God."
do you have faith in Odin, the infallible God? do you believe odin is real? if not, what is the problem? do you believe you stump me with your awesome debating skills by going on and on about anything but the subject?
we ...[text shortened]... the kid until he is dead. one kid died, not 42.

evil or not? will you finally answer now?
You don't know me. If you did you wouldn't judge me so. In one way this debate can be said to be quite serious. A matter of life and death. Depending on who one is talking to.

In another way I'm ready to laugh at myself for the way I behave myself at times, and at some of the things I say. And in another way I cringe.

But rest assured Zahlanzi, I haven't near the skills required to even remotely consider myself able to "stump" anyone, nor do I want to.

But then there's this forum, where I come to take a break from my regular life to see if I can persuade someone to see the world from my perspective. That's all I'm really doing. This is an excursion from the routine for me. I am motivated to convince you where I believe you're in error, but not to gain an advantage, or even a thumbs up.

Try to understand my position about this contentious issue. When you ask whether or not an act of God can be considered by me as evil, my mind jumps in thought along these lines; if I were perfect and had omniscient understanding I could conceivably judge God, but since I'm not, and I know God is perfect and omniscient, I can't answer the question outright because I would then compromise my integrity.

You wouldn't want me to do that would you?

You are mistaken if you think I am in fear of God casting me into hell just because I said He was evil. God will never cast me into hell for anything I've done or will ever do that offends Him.

Murder is evil, but God can, if He so desired, melt the whole universe down and kill every living thing in it. Who would be left to judge God then Zahlanzi?

You may find that idea good food for a "thought experiment". I wonder if you will and what may come of it!

Sorry for giving you so much grief. I really hope to see you in eternity.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Jun 15

God does not 'murder' children.

Murder is a sin, like genocide. Clearly, neither is the work of God.