1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 03:50
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Romans 13:1 should be interpreted in conjunction with the rest of scripture, not in isolation.
    So, what does it mean?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 03:51
    What do you think Romans 13:1 means in light of Acts 5:29?
    This is a question for Christians to answer. I am asking you what you think Romans 13:1 means. If you do not want to answer, I will leave it be.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 03:56
    Originally posted by @fmf
    This is a question for Christians to answer. I am asking you what you think Romans 13:1 means. If you do not want to answer, I will leave it be.
    Submit to your authorities in everything that is in line with the laws of God. Obviously God doesn't expect you to rape someone if you boss tells you to. Use your brain for a change FMF.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 04:05
    Submit to your authorities in everything that is in line with the laws of God.
    The issue here, and on that other concurrent thread, is about Hitler and the Nazis. Romans 13:1 says unequivocally: "No government would exist if it hadn't been established by God. The governments which exist have been put in place by God."

So, according to Romans 13:1, could the Nazi government have existed if it hadn't been established by your god figure? When it says "The governments which exist have been put in place by God", does that somehow not include the Nazi government of Germany in the 1930s and 1940s?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 05:49
    Originally posted by @josephw
    This thread is dead already.
    It not the only thing that's dead.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 05:50
    The issue here, and on that other concurrent thread, is about Hitler and the Nazis. Romans 13:1 says unequivocally: "No government would exist if it hadn't been established by God. The governments which exist have been put in place by God."

So, according to Romans 13:1, could the Nazi government have existed if it hadn't been established by your god figure? ...[text shortened]... ce by God", does that somehow not include the Nazi government of Germany in the 1930s and 1940s?
    This article explains the context which applies to Romans 13. If you are really interested I suggest you read it.

https://bible.org/seriespage/lesson-88-government-and-you-romans-131-7
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 05:581 edit
    This article explains the context which applies to Romans 13. If you are really interested I suggest you read it.

https://bible.org/seriespage/lesson-88-government-and-you-romans-131-7
    What's your own answer to the specific question I put to you?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 06:12
    What's your own answer to the specific question I put to you?
    I think it is referring to all governments that are aligned with the will of God. Since we have free will, God gives us a choice, I don't think Hitler and his government choose to follow the will of God. Did God force Hitler to take over and do the things he did? No I don't think so.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 06:15
    I think it is referring to all governments that are aligned with the will of God.
    What governments were they when Romans 13:1 was written?
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 06:191 edit
    What governments were they when Romans 13:1 was written?
    When Paul says there is no authority "except from God" it means there exists no authority that He (God) is not presently allowing. Just as he is allowing wickedness he is allowing government. Some are good, some not so good and some are downright evil. But he allows them to exist. For now. Because He does not violate free will since he created people and not robots.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 06:36

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 06:38
    When Paul says there is no authority "except from God" it means there exists no authority that He (God) is not presently allowing. Just as he is allowing wickedness he is allowing government. Some are good, some not so good and some are downright evil. But he allows them to exist. For now. Because He does not violate free will since he created people and not robots.
    So which governmentts were you referring to? Can you name them?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 06:43
    Did God force Hitler to take over and do the things he did? No I don't think so.
    Romans 13:1 doesn't mention "force". Not sure where you are getting that from. What it does say, however, is: "No government would exist if it hadn't been established by God. The governments which exist have been put in place by God."
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 06:53
    . Just as he is allowing wickedness he is allowing government. Some are good, some not so good and some are downright evil. But he allows them to exist
    Romans 13:1 doesn't mention "allowing" governments to rule. Not sure where you got that from. It does say, however, that all governments are "established" and "put in place" by your god figure.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 06:55
    So which governmentts were you referring to? Can you name them?
    Every Government that has existed God has established by giving people free will. If God hadn't given people free will there would be no governments would there?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree