1. Playing with matches
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 20:34
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 20:37
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche
    Is that faith or belief?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 20:54
    In other words, those who exercise faith as a means to an end are crazy.

Or perhaps Nietzsche meant something else. Like, those who live by faith do so to no avail.
  4. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 21:33
    Did he quote that before or after he lost it?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 22:09
    Empirical conclusive evidence is the only thing that proves anything; there is plenty of that around, so if you're still not happy and content, then blame that.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 22:13
    I wonder if his lack of faith proved anything.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 22:22
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Is that faith or belief?
    Probably faith ... the clue is in the spelling; f a i t h
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 22:22
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I wonder if his lack of faith proved anything.
    rationality
  9. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 22:40
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing." -- Darth Vader
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 22:53
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing." -- Darth Vader
    Okay, that was good quote. 🙂
    Kelly
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 23:09
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Okay, that was good quote. 🙂
    Kelly
    But it was my thumbs up that did the damage; as usual you under-estimate the POWA of the dark side.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 23:35

"A casual stroll through the Red Hot Pawn Public Forums at any hour of the day or night
    shows that faith alone in Russ alone proves everything." (anon, Jan ''13, 17:35)
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 23:49
    I guess he isn't all that smart since we can only have faith on those things
    that we cannot prove yet believe in, so of course you will not be able to prove
    that which you have faith in, by definition that is correct and the only way
    it can be.
    Kelly
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 04:17
    Wait, I thought Nietzsche went insane.
  15. Playing with matches
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 04:28
    Faith is what the Frog has in the fable involving our friend the Frog and a Scorpion.

One day, a scorpion looked around at the mountain where he lived and decided that he wanted a change. So he set out on a journey through the forests and hills. He climbed over rocks and under vines and kept going until he reached a river.
    The river was wide and swift, and the scorpion stopped to reconsider the situation. He couldn't see any way across. So he ran upriver and then checked downriver, all the while thinking that he might have to turn back.

Suddenly, he saw a frog sitting in the rushes by the bank of the stream on the other side of the river. He decided to ask the frog for help getting across the stream.

"Hellooo Mr. Frog!" called the scorpion across the water, "Would you be so kind as to give me a ride on your back across the river?"

"Well now, Mr. Scorpion! How do I know that if I try to help you, you wont try to kill me?" asked the frog hesitantly.

"Because," the scorpion replied, "If I try to kill you, then I would die too, for you see I cannot swim!"

Now this seemed to make sense to the frog. But he asked. "What about when I get close to the bank? You could still try to kill me and get back to the shore!"

"This is true," agreed the scorpion, "But then I wouldn't be able to get to the other side of the river!"

"Alright then...how do I know you wont just wait till we get to the other side and THEN kill me?" said the frog.

"Ahh...," crooned the scorpion, "Because you see, once you've taken me to the other side of this river, I will be so grateful for your help, that it would hardly be fair to reward you with death, now would it?!"

So the frog agreed to take the scorpion across the river. He swam over to the bank and settled himself near the mud to pick up his passenger. The scorpion crawled onto the frog's back, his sharp claws prickling into the frog's soft hide, and the frog slid into the river. The muddy water swirled around them, but the frog stayed near the surface so the scorpion would not drown. He kicked strongly through the first half of the stream, his flippers paddling wildly against the current.

Halfway across the river, the frog suddenly felt a sharp sting in his back and, out of the corner of his eye, saw the scorpion remove his stinger from the frog's back. A deadening numbness began to creep into his limbs.

"You fool!" croaked the frog, "Now we shall both die! Why on earth did you do that?"

The scorpion shrugged, and did a little jig on the drownings frog's back.

"I could not help myself. It is my nature."

Then they both sank into the muddy waters of the swiftly flowing river.

Self destruction - "Its my Nature", said the Scorpion...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree