1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 04:39
    Originally posted by whodey
    Wait, I thought Nietzsche went insane.
    I heard he had some sort of mental breakdown or something of that nature. Maybe it was from visiting insane asylums. 😏
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 04:44
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Faith is what the Frog has in the fable involving our friend the Frog and a Scorpion.

One day, a scorpion looked around at the mountain where he lived and decided that he wanted a change. So he set out on a journey through the forests and hills. He climbed over rocks and under vines and kept going until he reached a river.
    The river was wid ...[text shortened]... destruction - "Its my Nature", said the Scorpion...
    That scorpion sounds like that old serpent of old, Satan the devil. The Holy Bible says Satan comes to steal, kill, and destroy. He is certainly seif-destructive.
  3. Playing with matches
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 05:38
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I heard he had some sort of mental breakdown or something of that nature. Maybe it was from visiting insane asylums. 😏
    It may have been syphilis. He is also reputed to have been a homosexual. His observation regarding faith is nonetheless an interesting one. I took him to mean that the insane often have a fervent belief in things that are not real.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 06:04
    It may have been syphilis. He is also reputed to have been a homosexual. His observation regarding faith is nonetheless an interesting one. I took him to mean that the insane often have a fervent belief in things that are not real.
    I was a discussion with a doctor about people who had issues, we were talking
    about those that heard voices, the thing that surprised me was he said how do you
    know they are not hearing voices?

I wonder if the insane could also be those that deny what is real too?

I suppose that would put the sane among us in a very small group of people.
    Kelly
  5. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 06:05
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That scorpion sounds like that old serpent of old, Satan the devil. The Holy Bible says Satan comes to steal, kill, and destroy. He is certainly seif-destructive.
    The Serpent, ie in the Garden of Eden, is really never identified with "Satan," which means "tempter" or "deciever." Regardless, both figures, like the others in the Bible, are metaphors.
  6. Playing with matches
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 06:17
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I was a discussion with a doctor about people who had issues, we were talking
    about those that heard voices, the thing that surprised me was he said how do you
    know they are not hearing voices?

I wonder if the insane could also be those that deny what is real too?

I suppose that would put the sane among us in a very small group of people.
    Kelly
    I think you'll find that the insane often know they are disturbed and/or delusional. You'll also find that just because a person is batsh!@ crazy doesn't mean they are stupid.
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 11:29
    Originally posted by shiloh
    The Serpent, ie in the Garden of Eden, is really never identified with "Satan," which means "tempter" or "deciever." Regardless, both figures, like the others in the Bible, are metaphors.
    See Rev 20:2

He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; (Revelation 20:2 NKJV)

There is plenty in the Bible where satan, deceiver, serpent, liar are all meaning the same... the devil.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 13:02
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Probably faith ... the clue is in the spelling; f a i t h
    I am suggesting that perhaps Neitzche used the word 'faith' when he intended to use the word 'belief,' as there is a distinction between the two.
  9. Playing with matches
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 14:09
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I am suggesting that perhaps Neitzche used the word 'faith' when he intended to use the word 'belief,' as there is a distinction between the two.
    I "believe" he was making a specific point about "faith". I think you're wrong.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 17:02
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche
    Did the sun not rise today? A few virgins tossed into the volcano, that has never been proven wrong.
  11. Playing with matches
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 18:11
    Originally posted by apathist
    Did the sun not rise today? A few virgins tossed into the volcano, that has never been proven wrong.
    Such purile asseverations can quickly be dismissed with scientific method. Your hypothesis would fail the test of not throwing virgins into said volcano for a period of time.

Try to come to the debate armed with something more than the impaired wit of a small child.
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 18:524 edits
    Hi Freaky! Hope you and yours are all well.

I agree that faith ought not to be conflated with contemporary conventional usages of “belief” as what I “think” (or conclude or opine). A declaration of belief (e.g. a creedal statement) is not the same as a declaration of confidence in that belief. We hold beliefs with varying degrees of confidence. And that the confidence (faith), like the belief, stands in need of justification (speaking epistemically, here)—it cannot justify an epistemological claim.*

Nor should either one of them be conflated with “certainty”. One has faith—justifiable or not—in the face of absence of certainty. That faith, or confidence, is often what enables us to act in uncertain situations—even if it is just faith in the probabilities.

However—

I think this is a prime example of how theology (and soteriology) can change on the basis of (1) translation, and (2) changes over time in the meaning of the translated terms.

The KJV translated the active verb form pisteo (literally, “I faith/trust”; not “I ‘have’ faith” ) to the English believe; though, except for 2nd Thessalonians 2:13, they retained the noun “faith” for the Greek pistis. At the time, “believe” was an understandable (if somewhat poetic) rendering of pisteuo

“Believing and loving are closely related. . . . [From the North Germanic galaubjan, which] meant ‘hold dear, love’ and hence ‘trust, believe’, and it was formed on a base, laub-, which also produced, by various routes, English love, lief ‘dear’, leave ‘permission’, and the second element of furlough.”

—John Ayto, Dictionary of Word Origins.

When it comes to soteriology, old friend, you and I have pretty much always disagreed. But I think (believe) that any soterios by “right thinking (belief/doctrine)” –is a very latter-day notion resulting from the changing conventional usage of a translated term. Although it is not absent from the RCC or the Orthodox churches, it seems stronger among Protestant groups that no longer look to early church tradition for exegetical clues (and who sometimes seem to have allowed translation to color the original, rather than the other way around).** [Those “seems” indicate that I have less “faith” in those particular thoughts. 😉 ]

In any event, basing one’s theology on the evolution of translated terms into new conventions of language would seem to be fraught with the risk of error (as is any tendency to arbitrarily translate a polysemous language into one’s preferred monosemous terms, and then to insist on them).

* I understand that terms can take on different usages/meanings in different domains of discourse. If pistis bears some “mystical” meaning in the NT, and according to this or that Christian doctrine, then that meaning needs to be clearly stated, and justified.

** Then again, my Greek is not that extensive, and depending on how closely cognate are pistis and episteme, the confusion may go back fairly early in the church. I haven’t looked for some time, and would have to research, but I doubt that it would go back beyond, say, the third century. (The Latin Vulgate uses fide for faith and credere for “believe”.)

EDIT: The fact that Nietzsche was raised in a strictly German Lutheran environment, and his father was the last in a long line of Lutheran pastors, gives some further creedence to HoH's point that Nietzsche probably knew the distinction, and chose his words with that in mind.

EDIT 2: Of course, we're not likely to get rid of particular usages and, e.g., replace "pillars of faith" with "justifiers of doctrine"; we just have to recognize the differences.
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 18:57
    I "believe" he was making a specific point about "faith". I think you're wrong.
    I agree. How you been?
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 19:28
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Hi Freaky! Hope you and yours are all well.

I agree that faith ought not to be conflated with contemporary conventional usages of “belief” as what I “think” (or conclude or opine). A declaration of belief (e.g. a creedal statement) is not the same as a declaration of confidence in that belief. We hold beliefs with varying degrees of confidence. And th ...[text shortened]... oH's point that Nietzsche probably knew the distinction, and chose his words with that in mind.
    Hey, old friend (and the emphasis here is on the longevity of the relation, not the grayness of the subject)... yes, things are swell. Family's getting bigger and ornery every day.

When it comes to soteriology, old friend, you and I have pretty much always disagreed.
    Agreed!

In any event, basing one’s theology on the evolution of translated terms into new conventions of language would seem to be fraught with the risk of error (as is any tendency to arbitrarily translate a polysemous language into one’s preferred monosemous terms, and then to insist on them).
    Agreed again... with caveat, of course.
    We like our hay stuffed just so, but it is the thinking man who doesn't mind having his stuffing popped out of him from time to time.
    While we grow up with icons of representation and it suits us well for a time, original intent is capable of organically feeding us no matter what our level of maturity.
    For instance, John 3:16 is a verse which can bring a tear to many a Christian's eye, but unfortunately it's for all the wrong reasons.
    It may have tickled a certain spot for them as an unbeliever which then spills over into their "maturation" as a believer, fraught with all sorts of romanticism, but when the cold light of truth reveals its intended and original meaning, you often see the same believers reject it in favor of their closely-held comfort.
    Sloppy translations--- or even ones which are technically accurate but generally misleading--- have led to all manner of religious nutjobisms.

But I digress.
    As you are well aware, there is the faith (belief) and the thing itself (that upon which the belief is resting).
    Although these both are loosely and semi-consistently translated in the Bible as the same word, faith, the interchangeability of its use doesn't allow the reader the opportunity to flourish as intended.
    In this quote, Nietszche used faith and this is being construed as the latter (or seemingly so).
    Whether his background was employed or not, he most certainly wasn't inferring that asylums were only populated by people of faith.
    Rather, he was pointing out that a belief in something cannot be equated with proof for the thing, and further for proof of this assertion, consider the folks who live in asylums: they believe myriad schemes and dreams, yet none of them are grounded in reality.

That's all I got on this thing!
  15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 20:321 edit
    Hey, old friend (and the emphasis here is on the longevity of the relation, not the grayness of the subject)... yes, things are swell. Family's getting bigger and ornery every day.

[b]When it comes to soteriology, old friend, you and I have pretty much always disagreed.

Agreed!

In any event, basing one’s theology on the evolution of transla nd dreams, yet none of them are grounded in reality.

That's all I got on this thing!
    [/b]I think he means that the confidence (faith, strength of conviction) with which one holds a belief can be as deluded as the content of the belief itself (“You may think that I am not Napolean, but I know that I am!” )—and therefore can be no proof of the truth of the content.

I generally agree with the rest of your post—though I suspect we could nudge out some disagreement if we dug at it a bit! 🙂

Ah! I am grayer, though, than when you and I began . . .

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree