1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 17:15
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    What could possibly happen at the 102nd turn in a controlled environment that didn’t happen the first 100 times?
    Hole in one.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 18:49
    What could possibly happen at the 102nd turn in a controlled environment that didn’t happen the first 100 times?
    So the bottom line is you want to equate scientific 'certainty' to religious certainty so you can feel good about being 2000 years behind the times. You know, the part where hundreds of years of scientific reasearch has given you things like effective meds, the internet, crops resistant to bugs or drought and the like, to say nothing about putting men on the moon and seeing for sure Earth actually IS round?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 19:291 edit
    Originally posted by @js357
    If by “controlled environment” you mean one in which a dropped pen always hits the floor, then in that environment, well duh, go figure????
    It might eventually dawn upon sonhouse...
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 22:16
    Something different.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 22:19
    Statistically it probably will go as expected but you can't be certain the environment will not somehow interfere, your mother calls says Louis is sick, come home now, power might go out, there might be an earthquake, a dozen things might happen to stop the experiment.

So the chances will not be 100%, maybe 99.99% but you can't rule out environmental factors.
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 16:51
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Statistically it probably will go as expected but you can't be certain the environment will not somehow interfere, your mother calls says Louis is sick, come home now, power might go out, there might be an earthquake, a dozen things might happen to stop the experiment.

So the chances will not be 100%, maybe 99.99% but you can't rule out environmental factors.
    You think probability is just an expression of human ignorance?
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 17:00
    Whooosh!
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 17:44
    Originally posted by @apathist
    You think probability is just an expression of human ignorance?
    we already know there are limitations in mathematics, some problems cannnot be solved even by computers a trillion times faster and stronger than those of today. Probability is an expression of human understanding, and advance over previous attempts to understand the universe.

What you do not seem to understand is though we have advanced incredibly in the last couple hundred years science is still in kidergarten and will be for a few hundred more, or more than that even.

So you are like a grownup chiding a 6 year old for not getting calculus.
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    09 Dec '17 17:25
    we already know there are limitations in mathematics, some problems cannnot be solved even by computers a trillion times faster and stronger than those of today. Probability is an expression of human understanding, and advance over previous attempts to understand the universe.

What you do not seem to understand is though we have advanced incredibly in th ...[text shortened]... or more than that even.

So you are like a grownup chiding a 6 year old for not getting calculus.
    I asked if "You think probability is just an expression of human ignorance?"

I think you just said yes? But it's hard to tell.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Dec '17 17:30
    Originally posted by @apathist
    I asked if "You think probability is just an expression of human ignorance?"

I think you just said yes? But it's hard to tell.
    Sure, we can't solve some math problems ever, so you can figure humans are fallible and then go on to make noise about how infallible your god is. I would love to see that god show us why the problems math dudes deem unsolvable are in fact able to be solved. Your god might even get the fields medal.
  11. Joined
    22 Jun '17
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 17:21
    is not trust a synonym of faith?
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 18:43
    Originally posted by @swarminglocusts
    is not trust a synonym of faith?
    I 'trust' my friend because they have earned my trust.

Faith is something one has in the absence of such trust. For example I might lend a friend 10 pounds and trust they will pay it back. However, if I lend a stranger 10 pounds I can only have faith that they will pay back the money. (As they haven't earned my trust).
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 21:58
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I 'trust' my friend because they have earned my trust.

Faith is something one has in the absence of such trust. For example I might lend a friend 10 pounds and trust they will pay it back. However, if I lend a stranger 10 pounds I can only have faith that they will pay back the money. (As they haven't earned my trust).
    But they sure as hell just earned 10 quid🙂
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 22:41
    Sure, we can't solve some math problems ever, so you can figure humans are fallible and then go on to make noise about how infallible your god is. ...
    I too appreciate math. It is a language, and like all languages it can express anything.

Including not-true stuff! I'm not sure you know this.
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 22:44
    ... make noise about how infallible your god is....
    I'm pagan, and nature is fallible. Kinda why we are here, you know, to guard the garden.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree