1. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    04 Dec '17 17:20
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    ‘Faith’ is complete trust or confidence in something. You have ‘faith’ in issues that are conclusively settled up herenow.
    I have no faith in issues that are conclusively settled up herenow.

Instead, I have concrete knowledge that the issues which are conclusively settled up herenow thanks to validated herenow scientific facts and evidence, are herenow true to me😵
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Dec '17 18:14
    Originally posted by @black-beetle

Instead, I have concrete knowledge that the issues which are conclusively settled up herenow thanks to validated herenow scientific facts and evidence, are herenow true to me😵
    Since you have complete trust or confidence in the works of thousands of scientists over hundreds of years, it means you do have 'faith' according to the dictionary definition of 'faith'.

faith
    noun
    complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
    "this restores one's faith in politicians"
    synonyms: trust, belief, confidence, conviction, credence, reliance, dependence
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '17 18:42
    Since you have complete trust or confidence in the works of thousands of scientists over hundreds of years, it means you do have 'faith' according to the dictionary definition of 'faith'.

faith
    noun
    What is so important to you about whether B.B. has faith in something, using that definition of faith?
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    04 Dec '17 18:42

faith
    noun
    This assumption of yours is false; not only you read not the posts of your interlocutors carefully, but you also fail to understand the meaning of the words "knowledge" and "herenow". The knowledge of mine is strictly provisional, and there is no "faith" by my side😵
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Dec '17 20:22
    Originally posted by @sonhouse

There is the Casimir effect

Just showing this effect to give you an idea of the statistical nature of matter, .
    Thank you Sonhouse.
    Which is what I was trying to explain to dj2becker.
    There is not 100% certainty the pen hits the floor.
    But he cannot understand that so he dismisses it.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Dec '17 20:25
    You do not have complete certainty that the moment you drop your pen it will fall to the ground?
    Do you?
    If you do you are wrong.

Are you beginning to understand?
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 00:21
    Originally posted by @black-beetle

BS
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 01:03
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Do you?
    If you do you are wrong.

Also:

If you are up in the ISS, the pen floats.

You see, science claims are provisional.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 03:37
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Do you?
    If you do you are wrong.

If you drop your pen a hundred times in certain conditions and it hits the ground a hundred times you still don’t have 100% certainty of what will happen when you drop it for the 101st time? BS.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 06:19
    If you drop your pen a hundred times in certain conditions and it hits the ground a hundred times you still don’t have 100% certainty of what will happen when you drop it for the 101st time? BS.
    Certainty is a state of mind. It is possible to have 100% certainty of something, and be wrong.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 09:36
    Originally posted by @js357
    Certainty is a state of mind. It is possible to have 100% certainty of something, and be wrong.
    So you can be 100% certain that ‘it is possible to have 100% certainty of something, and be wrong’, and be wrong about that?
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 16:171 edit
    So you can be 100% certain that ‘it is possible to have 100% certainty of something, and be wrong’, and be wrong about that?
    I think so, if I am unraveling it correctly.

Interpretation A:

So you can be 100% certain that ‘it is possible to have 100% certainty of something, and be wrong’, and be wrong about having 100% certainty.?

Interpretation B:

So you can be 100% certain that ‘it is possible to have 100% certainty of something, and be wrong’, and be wrong about it being possible?

Other interpretations may be possible, or not.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 17:45
    Originally posted by @js357
    I think so, if I am unraveling it correctly.

Interpretation A:

[b]So you can be 100% certain that ‘it is possible to have 100% certainty of something, and be wrong’, and be wrong about having 100% certainty.?

Interpretation B:

So you can be 100% certain that ‘it is possible to have 100% certainty of something, and be wrong’, and be wrong about it being possible?

Other interpretations may be possible, or not.[/b]
    Ok let's test this. Are you 100% certain of your gender?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 18:111 edit
    Ok let's test this. Are you 100% certain of your gender?
    give that question to all 8 billion humans and you WILL find that will NOT be 100%. An individual can say he THINKS he is 100% male but without a complete DNA workup and physiology check he can't be 100% sure.
    You have heard the term 'hermaphrodite'? Both gender parts in one person.
    You have heard the term 'transgender'? You can say with confidence THOSE folks will say they are 100% sure they are NOT the gender they were born with.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 18:35
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    give that question to all 8 billion humans and you WILL find that will NOT be 100%. An individual can say he THINKS he is 100% male but without a complete DNA workup and physiology check he can't be 100% sure.
    You have heard the term 'hermaphrodite'? Both gender parts in one person.
    You have heard the term 'transgender'? You can say with confidence THOSE folks will say they are 100% sure they are NOT the gender they were born with.
    Can you not tell me with 100% certainty what your gender is?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree