Faith,n.

Faith,n.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maryland

Moves
30 Mar 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i did not realise that this was a forum for intellectual giants to pour scorn on the supernatural.
No. I am only here to call out carrobies when they make claims impossible to verify. It does not take an intellectual giant not to believe in the virgin birth or that Jesus walked on water. Indeed, quite the opposite.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
30 Mar 10

Originally posted by 667joe
Here is the fact of the matter: I am tired of giving believers of the supernatural a free pass. I am not blood thirsty. I enjoy debate. I hope to plant the seeds of doubt in believers although, because believers tend to be irrational, this is not easy. If you can prove god exists in an experiment that can be reproduced, I will change my views.
I dont think you can prove god exists in a reproducable experiment. Thats why they have words like enigma,faith,etc. To try to convey such experiences.
God is always origonal. He/She cant be pinned down

Z

Moves
30 Mar 10

Here is the fact of the matter: I am tired of giving believers of the supernatural a free pass. I am not blood thirsty. I enjoy debate. I hope to plant the seeds of doubt in believers although, because believers tend to be irrational, this is not easy. If you can prove god exists in an experiment that can be reproduced, I will change my views.
but you don't really debate. you communicate your opinion, or should i say verdict. and you deliver it in a condescending note.

have you opened a thread discussing the benefits of religion?

Z

Moves
30 Mar 10

There is plenty suggesting Jesus is a fraud. If you don't want to check it out, that's fine. But he does not exist just because you so badly want him to exist. You have been sold a bill of goods!
how about you give us some of those evidences?

then we will have something to debate.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
30 Mar 10

No. I am only here to call out carrobies when they make claims impossible to verify. It does not take an intellectual giant not to believe in the virgin birth or that Jesus walked on water. Indeed, quite the opposite.
That probably didn't come out the way you originally intended.
Funny, that.

Z

Moves
30 Mar 10

but you DON'T have the prove. that is what all theists, no matter the level of their fundamentalism, are trying to tell you .

i don't have to prove you god. you either believe it or don't. from then on you either believe jesus existed(there are historical proofs that he existed) or don't. either believe he is the son of god or don't and so on. you simply have to deal with what are you able to believe without proof. with what you are willing to do with and for that faith.

the cinycal approach to religion would be "if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt you, who cares about anything else?".
religion gives hope. oblivion doesn't. as long as you don't try to make a god powered airplane and you don't kill or torture anyone in the name of god(which he doesn't want anyway) religion(any kind of religion) is ALWAYS prefferable to atheism.

Maryland

Moves
30 Mar 10

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
but you DON'T have the prove. that is what all theists, no matter the level of their fundamentalism, are trying to tell you .

i don't have to prove you god. you either believe it or don't. from then on you either believe jesus existed(there are historical proofs that he existed) or don't. either believe he is the son of god or don't and so on. you simply ...[text shortened]... oesn't want anyway) religion(any kind of religion) is ALWAYS prefferable to atheism.
So your position is fables and outright lies are better than the truth.

Z

Moves
30 Mar 10

So your position is fables and outright lies are better than the truth.
a lie that gives you hope and warms your soul is better than a truth that gives you nothing.

i gain nothing by saying i am gonna be obliterated after death, i may gain everything by believing in god. this is the practical aproach even an atheist might understand. to be a believer is something much more but until you grasp this, no use moving on to the bigger things.

the above are arguments that support theism as better than atheism even if you know for sure god is a lie. which we don't. your "outright lie" term is pretty illogical. or at least ill used in this context.

rc

Moves
30 Mar 10

as yet we are still waiting for you to verify your claim that Christ never existed, it therefore, at the very least, puts you on an equal footing with those persons you seek to discredit, does it not?

Maryland

Moves
30 Mar 10

as yet we are still waiting for you to verify your claim that Christ never existed, it therefore, at the very least, puts you on an equal footing with those persons you seek to discredit, does it not?
There is a ton of stuff on google. Look if you want, or don't look if you don't want. It's there though. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

rc

Moves
30 Mar 10

There is a ton of stuff on google. Look if you want, or don't look if you don't want. It's there though. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
donkeys make assertions they cannot substantiate and no matter how many times you goad them they stubbornly refuse to move.

Maryland

Moves
30 Mar 10

donkeys make assertions they cannot substantiate and no matter how many times you goad them they stubbornly refuse to move.
You know yourself pretty well!

rc

Moves
30 Mar 10

You know yourself pretty well!
i do not deny that i am an ignorant fellow, indeed, but then again i do try to provide reasons for my assertions, especially when others ask. Its is rude and cowardly not to. So Eeyore, if you shall provide just one reason, we can start on it. all you have to do, is follow your own advice, go to the net, forage around, find a point, bring it back and post it. It cannot be so hard.

Z

Moves
31 Mar 10

yet you have not lead a horse to water, you told us horses to google water.

help us poor ignorant souls some more.

sarcasm aside, i can google mostly anything. i can google ufo sightings on 23rd april and i am sure i will get some hits. that doesn't prove anything.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
31 Mar 10

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
a lie that gives you hope and warms your soul is better than a truth that gives you nothing.

i gain nothing by saying i am gonna be obliterated after death, i may gain everything by believing in god. this is the practical aproach even an atheist might understand. to be a believer is something much more but until you grasp this, no use moving on to the bi ...[text shortened]... we don't. your "outright lie" term is pretty illogical. or at least ill used in this context.
So essentially you're saying religion is for weak scared people?!