Faith vs Blind Faith

Faith vs Blind Faith

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

London

Moves
06 May 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
We have no axiom that says sub-optimal acting yields a non-good play. If we did, I would say your sentence is a contradiction.

We do have an axiom that says that something that is unreasonable cannot be believed. Thus, to say, "As a whole, Genesis is believable, although it contains several things that are unreasonable" is a contradiction.
Not really. You're using a much more strict definition for the term, "as a whole" than is used in normal English.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=as%20a%20whole

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
06 May 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Any analysis of the accuracy of the Bible would have to analyse the accuracy of individual assertions, so I see no way you can avoid "piecemeal analysis". The term "as a whole" is misleading because it also implies "in the majority" or "in balance".
Consider the conjunction of premises:

A and B and C and D and E and F and G.

Suppose C is false.

If I say that "As a whole, this conjunction is false" does it imply to you that the majority of the conjuncts are false? No, it shouldn't. It is a statement about the entity as a whole, not about its parts.

This is the sense in which I intended the phrase "as a whole;" that is, a conjunction of the assertions of Genesis.

l

London

Moves
06 May 05

Consider the conjunction of premises:

A and B and C and D and E and F and G.

Suppose C is false.

If I say that "As a whole, this conjunction is false" does it imply to you that the majority of the conjuncts are false? No, it shouldn't. It is a statement about the entity as a whole, not about its parts.

This is the sense in which I intended the phrase "as a whole;" that is, a conjunction of the assertions of Genesis.

In which case, the term "completely accurate" should do perfectly as well - an entity can only be completely accurate if all of its assertions are accurate.

I understood the sense in which you used the term "as a whole" but, since you were using it in a stricter sense than normal English, somewhere down the line in the discussion it could quite easily be misinterpreted by one or both sides.

Why use an ambiguous term when an unambiguous one will do?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
06 May 05
2 edits

Originally posted by lucifershammer
In which case, the term "completely accurate" should do perfectly as well - an entity can only be completely accurate if all of its assertions are accurate.

I understood the sense in which you used the term "as a whole" but, s ...[text shortened]... des.

Why use an ambiguous term when an unambiguous one will do?
I will concede that in hindsight I chose a poor term, but I maintain I did so in the interest of precision. I didn't realize that "as a whole" was a well-defined idiom. I didn't intend to use the expression "as a whole" as a whole. I should have used the expression "as a conjunction of each of its assertions."

Could we compromise and use the expression "asswhole" to denote the latter for the remainder of this discussion? For example, "Genesis, asswhole, is not believable."

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
06 May 05

I will concede that in hindsight I chose a poor term, but I maintain I did so in the interest of precision. I didn't realize that "as a whole" was a well-defined idiom. I didn't intend to use the expression "as a whole" as a whole. I should have used the expression "as a conjunction of each of its assertions."

Could we compromise an ...[text shortened]... er for the remainder of this discussion? For example, "Genesis, asswhole, is not believable."
Isn't this argument ad asinus?

b

Moves
06 May 05

How old was Noah reported to be? Almost 1000 years old? This is an outrageous claim. Is there any animal known to man that has an observed lifespan of even 200 years?
Remember after Noah GOD lowered man's lifespan.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
06 May 05

Originally posted by blindfaith101
Remember after Noah GOD lowered man's lifespan.
Oh yeah, duh I forgot that well-established fact.

Moves
06 May 05

Originally posted by telerion
Oh yeah, duh I forgot that well-established fact.
Next time, try not to be so forgetful 😉

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
06 May 05

Did anyone answer this question - can a person believe something that is unreasonable. I don't mean it is considered unreasonable to someone else, I mean can it something be both believed and considered unreasonable at the same time. (By unreasonable I don't mean unprovable.) If I find something unreasonable - can I believe it is true.

I know many of my beliefs appear unreasonable to others, but I could not believe them if I did not find them reasonable. It would seem to be a contradiction. Therefore I hold that all beliefs a person holds, that person considers reasonable.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
06 May 05

Could we compromise an ...[text shortened]... er for the remainder of this discussion? For example, "Genesis, asswhole, is not believable."
Laughing my asswhole off.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
06 May 05

I wonder what, BLINDFAITH101, thinks of the TITLE of this THREAD. Does IT mean DJ is taking a POTSHOT at HIM.