1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 03:51
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Now don’t try to get all philosophical on me, Mr. Fancy Pants!
    If your supposed curiosity about why diverse people enjoy discussing and debating things on a debate and discussion message board, in fact, revolves around an either-or logical fallacy, then it reflects poorly on you.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 03:56
    Originally posted by @fmf
    If your supposed curiosity about why diverse people enjoy discussing and debating things on a debate and discussion message board, in fact, revolves around an either-or logical fallacy, then it reflects poorly on you.
    Not quite. Wondering why an atheist spends so much time arguing with believers.
    I mean, if I were an atheist, I would view believers as similar to a group of people who believed pink unicorns existed and the last thing I would do is bother arguing with them.
    Wait a minute...Becker says “pink unicorns” a lot (according to you.) Make that rainbow-colored unicorns. Or pink elephants.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 04:00
    Not quite. Wondering why an atheist spends so much time arguing with believers.
    I mean, if I were an atheist, I would view believers as similar to a group of people who believed pink unicorns existed and the last thing I would do is bother arguing with them.
    Wait a minute...Becker says “pink unicorns” a lot (according to you.) Make that rainbow-colored unicorns. Or pink elephants.
    You can't BOTH be supposedly yearning for genuine "substance" in others' posts AND be resorting to the use of logical fallacies to create "substance" in your own.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 04:12
    You can't BOTH be supposedly yearning for genuine "substance" in others' posts AND be resorting to the use of logical fallacies to create "substance" in your own.
    Whoa. Hold on there, Mr. Einstein. Let me bring this post to the faculty at M.I.T. That post is wayyyyy too intellectual for this country bumpkin.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 09:40
    Can you cite the book, chapter and verse for these? Would be helpful to read them in context - and in the King James Version!
    BTW, what version are the verses you posted from?
    1 John 3:4-10

It appears to be the NIV.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 09:44
    This is a useful resource: http://biblehub.com/
    I prefer
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/

One can switch from among 17 translations on the fly.

Cut-and-paste friendly also, with options for doing so semi-automatically so that you use the same format every time, lending consistency to them.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 10:30
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I prefer
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/

One can switch from among 17 translations on the fly.

Cut-and-paste friendly also, with options for doing so semi-automatically so that you use the same format every time, lending consistency to them.
    Thanks for info!
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 05:36
    Recently heard this Psalm on an audio recording and liked it a lot. Some great memory verses in here:

Psalm 27
    “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.

Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.

One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple.

For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.

And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the Lord.

Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.

When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek.

Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.

When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up.

Teach me thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.

Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.

I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.”
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Feb '18 21:28
    BTW, one of my goals is to commit Psalm 25 to memory by the summer. So far, I’ve memorized the first seven verses - a third of the way there!
    The only Psalm I’ve committed to memory in its entirety is Psalm 23, which many people know and love.
    I have committed numerous Bible verses to memory and have found recalling them at appropriate times to be very ...[text shortened]... leep. In addition to being very comforting and soul satisfying, it’s also a great aid in prayer.
    Over the years, I’ve also found hand-writing the Bible to be very beneficial. When we read the Bible, it can be easy for our minds to wander. That’s much less likely to happen when we are hand-writing it.
    I also recently started listening to an audio recording of the Bible at night before I go to sleep. In addition to being very comforting and soul satisfying, it’s also a great aid in prayer.

Excellent.

I use to read over the tape recorder while driving on a long trip.

And to muse over the word of God deriving all the nourishment one can obtain from each word God honors.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Feb '18 21:421 edit
    Recently heard this Psalm on an audio recording and liked it a lot. Some great memory verses in here:

Psalm 27
    “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.

Though ...[text shortened]... on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.”
    Romans1009, I also have the "Wonder Bible" device recorder. I listen to it often when retiring.

The reading of the Bible by Alexander Scorby I have also enjoyed on disk when traveling.

The thing about listening to recorded readings of the word of God is that for some reason I may notice things that I might not notice when reading it myself.

I don't like the readers that seem to rush through to get as much as they can on a disk. Scorby is great in reading, even if it is just the KJV.

Amen here to your love for the word of God which you seek to have dwell in you richly.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Feb '18 21:48
    A brief word on MIXING the reading of the word of God with Praying and Calling on the name of the Lord Jesus.

This from "The Speciality, Generality, and Practicality of the Church Life" by Witness Lee. [My bolding]

CALLING AND PRAY-READING AS THE BEST PRACTICALITY
    Romans 10:12 says, “The same Lord of all is rich to all who call upon Him.” How could you enjoy the riches of Christ? The best way is to call upon Him. The Lord is rich to all who call upon Him. At any time, in any kind of situation, simply call, “O Lord Jesus! O Lord Jesus!” Do not try to get yourself delivered out of your circumstances. If you do not know how to answer someone; if you do not know what to do; if you are afraid that you will lose your temper; if you are fearful that you will be tempted; call on the name of the Lord. The Lord is rich to all who call upon Him.

First Corinthians 12:13 says that we “were all given to drink one Spirit.” We have been positioned to drink, but how do we drink? In the same chapter, verse 3, it says that “no one can say, Lord Jesus, except in the Holy Spirit.” In other words, when you say Lord Jesus, you are in the Holy Spirit. Therefore, we all need to practice saying, “O Lord Jesus.” This is the real calling on the Lord. It is not just to pray. It is not just to ask. It is to call upon Him.

Lamentations 3:55-56 says, “I called upon thy name, O Lord, out of the low dungeon. Thou hast heard my voice: hide not thine ear at my breathing, at my cry.” I like the word, “I called upon thy name, out of the dungeon.” Sometimes our dear wives or husbands are our low dungeon. Out of your low dungeon, call upon the name of the Lord.

These verses also clearly show us that our crying, our calling on the name of the Lord, is our breathing. In breathing is drinking, and in drinking is eating. When you breathe, you drink; when you drink, you eat. Open yourself from your spirit, and with your mouth call, “O Lord Jesus.” It is so sweet, so refreshing, so comforting, and so enlightening. Also, it is so strengthening and even so watering. Then try the pray-reading.

For further reading - http://www.ministrysamples.org/excerpts/PRAY-READING-THE-WORD.HTML
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Feb '18 01:58
    Hand-writing the Holy Bible is a great way to be immersed in God’s Word because one’s mind can’t wander while doing it.

My old pastor not only recommended hand-writing the Holy Bible but advised we speak the words as we write them.

I got much more out of the Bible when I hand-wrote it and have to get back to doing that.

I love listening to the Bible as well and am very happy I got the Wonder Bible; one of the best purchases I made in a long time.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Feb '18 12:56
    Praying over and with the word of God is effective because it is more likely that your prayer will be according to God's heart.

Can you imagine how rich it could be to pray over each line of a book like Ephesians? It is so high and so all-inclusively devoted to the eternal purpose of God. Just taking chapter one line by line with petition, praise, thanksgiving elevates your outlook, and really sets your mind on the things above.

This praying back to God His own word is no new practice. It is very much used in church history. I could give so many examples. Today though it is being opened up to the saints at large -

Learn that the entire Bible is a prayer book. Touch the Spirit with your spirit in the word of God. it is too feeding and also builds saints together in Spirit.

Amen.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Feb '18 18:56
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Praying over and with the word of God is effective because it is more likely that your prayer will be according to God's heart.

Can you imagine how rich it could be to pray over each line of a book like [b]Ephesians
    ? It is so high and so all-inclusively devoted to the eternal purpose of God. Just taking chapter one line by line with petition, prai ...[text shortened]... pirit in the word of God. it is too feeding and also builds saints together in Spirit.

Amen.[/b]
    This is worshiping the Bible not God.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Feb '18 19:02
    Hand-writing the Holy Bible is a great way to be immersed in God’s Word because one’s mind can’t wander while doing it.

My old pastor not only recommended hand-writing the Holy Bible but advised we speak the words as we write them.

I got much more out of the Bible when I hand-wrote it and have to get back to doing that.

I love listening to the B ...[text shortened]... well and am very happy I got the Wonder Bible; one of the best purchases I made in a long time.
    The Pharisees used to memorize the Torah, and Jesus said lots of great things about them .. so you are on the right track. Write out the bible, memorise it. keep copies of it in your pocket...etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree