1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '18 23:17
    Thought this would be a valuable addition to the threads (if it doesn’t already exist; I didn’t go through all the threads on here.)
    I’ll start it off with both a Psalm and a verse.

Psalm 25:

“Unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.

O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Shew me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths.

Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.

Remember, O Lord, thy tender mercies and thy lovingkindnesses; for they have been ever of old.

Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness' sake, O Lord.

Good and upright is the Lord: therefore will he teach sinners in the way.

The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.

All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.

For thy name's sake, O Lord, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great.

What man is he that feareth the Lord? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.

His soul shall dwell at ease; and his seed shall inherit the earth.

The secret of the Lord is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant.

Mine eyes are ever toward the Lord; for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.

Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.

The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.

Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.

Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.

O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.

Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.

Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles.“
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '18 23:19
    And the verse...

“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

(John 14:27)
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '18 23:27
    BTW, one of my goals is to commit Psalm 25 to memory by the summer. So far, I’ve memorized the first seven verses - a third of the way there!
    The only Psalm I’ve committed to memory in its entirety is Psalm 23, which many people know and love.
    I have committed numerous Bible verses to memory and have found recalling them at appropriate times to be very helpful. For example, if I’m going into a situation I know will be stressful, I will recall Psalm 19:14 (or a similar verse.) Here’s Psalm 19:14:
    “Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.”
    Over the years, I’ve also found hand-writing the Bible to be very beneficial. When we read the Bible, it can be easy for our minds to wander. That’s much less likely to happen when we are hand-writing it.
    I also recently started listening to an audio recording of the Bible at night before I go to sleep. In addition to being very comforting and soul satisfying, it’s also a great aid in prayer.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Feb '18 23:41
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    BTW, one of my goals is to commit Psalm 25 to memory by the summer. So far, I’ve memorized the first seven verses - a third of the way there!
    The only Psalm I’ve committed to memory in its entirety is Psalm 23, which many people know and love.
    I have committed numerous Bible verses to memory and have found recalling them at appropriate times to be very ...[text shortened]... leep. In addition to being very comforting and soul satisfying, it’s also a great aid in prayer.
    My wife bought got me the Wonder Bible device which plays readings of the Bible.

Oh, if I haven't let you know yet, putting verses to song has been a great way to memorize and enjoy Scripture.

Here is a link, if you're interested, in some 60 verses mostly from the New Testament, I put to song on Soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/jack-wilmore
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '18 23:568 edits
    Verses that are consistent with the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.

1 John 3
    4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.
    5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.
    6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.
    7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.
    8 The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.
    9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.
    10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

“He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 00:12
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Verses that are consistent with the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.

1 John 3
    5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.
    6 [b]No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or know ...[text shortened]... s anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

Do you have any understanding of the difference and distinction of being free from the GUILT of sin and free from the POWER of sin ?

Sometimes it appears that you confuse the two.

Both are needed.
    Both are available to us through Jesus Christ.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 00:321 edit
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Do you have any understanding of the difference and distinction of being free from the GUILT of sin and free from the POWER of sin ?

Sometimes it appears that you confuse the two.

Both are needed.
    Both are available to us through Jesus Christ.
    The fact is that the words in those verses speak for themselves.

8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 01:07

1 John 3
    6 [b]No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or know ...[text shortened]... s anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

Can you cite the book, chapter and verse for these? Would be helpful to read them in context - and in the King James Version!
    BTW, what version are the verses you posted from?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 01:11
    My wife bought got me the Wonder Bible device which plays readings of the Bible.

Oh, if I haven't let you know yet, putting verses to song has been a great way to memorize and enjoy Scripture.

Here is a link, if you're interested, in some 60 verses mostly from the New Testament, I put to song on Soundcloud.

I recently got the Wonder Bible and love it! That’s how I listen to the Bible at night.
    I was wondering if you can take it outside in cold weather (20 to 40 degrees.) I sometimes go on long walks for exercise and would love to listen to the Bible as I was doing that. I checked the Wonder Bible website’s FAQ but didn’t see that question asked. Haven’t taken it outside because I wouldn’t want to damage it if it’s sensitive to the cold.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 01:121 edit
    Can you cite the book, chapter and verse for these? Would be helpful to read them in context - and in the King James Version!
    Can you cite the book, chapter and verse for these?

The book, chapter and verse numbers are all there. Don't know how you missed them.

Would be helpful to read them in context - and in the King James Version!

The KJV reads pretty much the same, but by all means.

NIV
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 01:12

Thanks for that link; I’ll check it out this weekend
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 01:16
    [b]Can you cite the book, chapter and verse for these?

The book, chapter and verse numbers are all there. Don't know how you missed them.

Would be helpful to read them in context - and in the King James Version!

The KJV reads pretty much the same, but by all means.

NIV[/b]
    Thanks; will check it out later this weekend
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 01:16
    This is a useful resource: http://biblehub.com/
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 01:22
    Originally posted by @fmf
    If he doesn't like that, he can always try bible.cc

In a way it's superior.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 01:22
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Thanks; I think I’ve been on that site before as the name looks familiar

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree