1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 13:23
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Well, if a mysterious voice did identify itself as Buddha, I could tell you with confidence, according to Buddha's own teachings, that it wasn't really the Buddha's voice. 🙂

Human beings can convince themselves of a wide range of fantastic phenomena, when they aren't fooled outright. I tend not to trust these kinds of experiences, either in myself o ...[text shortened]... y that you, and anyone else reading this, might receive the grace to die upon it.
    Nice. You strike me as a nice christian. Truthful.

I do disagree with you, of course, but I do not doubt the power of JC and his message to uplift the world.
    Heck, I've seen it work on so many people, HOWEVER , I have also seen many others turn to other religons.

I like the tolerance of Tibetan Buddhism better than christian tolerance in general because they embrace diversity and do not say that the only way is their way. But this seems to be a point where christians and I will never see I to I.

God bless.
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 16:46
    Well, if a mysterious voice did identify itself as Buddha, I could tell you with confidence, according to Buddha's own teachings, that it wasn't really the Buddha's voice. 🙂

Human beings can convince themselves of a wide range of fantastic phenomena, when they aren't fooled outright. I tend not to trust these kinds of experiences, either in myself o ...[text shortened]... y that you, and anyone else reading this, might receive the grace to die upon it.
    There are most certainly other paths to inner peace and contentment. Obviously none of us can say if any of these paths (yours included) lead to 'god' or 'life everlasting', but the apparent arrogance and disrespectful nature of John 14:6 seems to me like a taint against your religion.
  3. weedhopper
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 17:16
    Originally posted by buckky
    Do you think it's the fear of death that drives people in their spiritual pursuits ? I know that for me at around the age of fourteen I started to really focus on the fact that I would die someday, and that sounded like no fun. The idea of being snuffed out as if you had never been scared me. So I turned to religion, and spiritual writings to try and find a w ...[text shortened]... ms you can find yourself. Maybe everything is you. No seperation only Unity with the universe.
    Fear of death I'm sure plays a big part in most faiths. Being the great unknown, it's something many fear. As some others have pointed out on this thread, it does seem that the older some get (me included) the less afraid of death I become.
  4. Illinois
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 21:481 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    There are most certainly other paths to inner peace and contentment. Obviously none of us can say if any of these paths (yours included) lead to 'god' or 'life everlasting', but the apparent arrogance and disrespectful nature of John 14:6 seems to me like a taint against your religion.
    From the earliest days of Christianity it was recognized that the cross of Christ and His message would give offense. But if Christ is indeed the way, the truth and the life—if He is indeed God—his claims could never be considered arrogant or disrespectful. You only perceive them as such because you already believe that there are many legitimate ways to God. But then it would only be natural for you to take offense at Christ. Nevertheless, if there is only one Savior of mankind—whoever that Savior might be—undoubtedly he, too, would give offense for his exclusivist claims. In short, merely giving offense is no strike against Christ or the religion that follows in His wake.

"The word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God" (1 Corinthians 1:18).
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 23:05
    From the earliest days of Christianity it was recognized that the cross of Christ and His message would give offense. But if Christ is indeed the way, the truth and the life—if He is indeed God—his claims could never be considered arrogant or disrespectful. You only perceive them as such because you already believe that there are many legitimate ways t ...[text shortened]... who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God" (1 Corinthians 1:18).
    Thread 83831
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 23:18
    It involves prayerfully seeking Christ's guidance throughout the day, in every aspect of your life. Deeper still, it involves partaking of the joy of Christ's spirit, through prayer and worship. In every way saturated with the presence of the living Christ.
    In other words, obsess yourself with prayer, expect help to come from above, ignore your own mind, just believe in the tooth fairy and you will get your quarter.

Forget to actually live, but instead be afraid you will, OH NO, sin.

How about just using your own mind and throwing off the mental shackles of your organized religion and solve your own problems yourself?

Of course that would never happen, you are too controlled, brainwashed and duped to ever see any real light in the world, you just hope for the fairy godmother to come down and make it all better.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Jul '11 00:44
    From the earliest days of Christianity it was recognized that the cross of Christ and His message would give offense. But if Christ is indeed the way, the truth and the life—if He is indeed God—his claims could never be considered arrogant or disrespectful. You only perceive them as such because you already believe that there are many legitimate ways t ...[text shortened]... who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God" (1 Corinthians 1:18).
    Unfortunately, your post being in the Fear of Death thread makes it look like you are playing the fear card. Is that an approach you use? It's more like a fear of not really dying and believing the wrong thing card.
  8. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    05 Jul '11 00:55
    Originally posted by JS357
    Unfortunately, your post being in the Fear of Death thread makes it look like you are playing the fear card. Is that an approach you use? It's more like a fear of not really dying and believing the wrong thing card.
    Dieing and believing the wrong thing can send a person straight to Hell !!! What a beautiful religion it is. The thought police in spades pretending to be a religion. It's a wacky world.
  9. Illinois
    Moves
    05 Jul '11 05:351 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    In other words, obsess yourself with prayer, expect help to come from above, ignore your own mind, just believe in the tooth fairy and you will get your quarter.

How about just using your own mind and throwing off the mental shackles of your organized religion and solve your own pro ...[text shortened]... l light in the world, you just hope for the fairy godmother to come down and make it all better.

As I said, it's not a matter of mere belief—it's a partnership with the living Christ.

How about just using your own mind and throwing off the mental shackles of your organized religion and solve your own problems yourself?

Some problems cannot be solved in isolation. And in some cases, a perfectly reasonable course of action may be less fruitful than a counter-intuitive course of action directed by God's Spirit. Having God's help is not a mental shackle—you're receiving input from an omniscient source.

So, if I'm reading you correctly, to "live" is to not be afraid to sin? That seems like an awfully narrow definition.

I've done that for many years. Life in Christ is far superior (though more difficult).

Of course that would never happen, you are too controlled, brainwashed and duped to ever see any real light in the world, you just hope for the fairy godmother to come down and make it all better.

Of course, you have every right to that opinion, however misinformed it may be.
  10. Illinois
    Moves
    05 Jul '11 06:001 edit
    We only have a small amount of time to respond to the Christian gospel. After we die, that opportunity is gone forever. That's just a fact of life.

The only card being played here is the only way to the Father is through Christ card. And it needs to be dealt from time to time, for its own sake. Not to strike fear in the hearts of people, though some may react that way, but to present the truth. Above the questionable effectiveness of argumentation for God's existence, the Holy Spirit is at work in the hearts of those who read God's word. Arguments may make men theists, as it does on occasion, but it is the Holy Spirit that makes men Christians.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Jul '11 17:41
    We only have a small amount of time to respond to the Christian gospel. After we die, that opportunity is gone forever. That's just a fact of life.

The only card being played here is the only way to the Father is through Christ card. And it needs to be dealt from time to time, for its own sake. Not to strike fear in the hearts of people, th ...[text shortened]... theists, as it does on occasion, but it is the Holy Spirit that makes men Christians.
    I questioned the motivation behind playing that card in this particular thread, but I conclude that you do not intend to trigger fear by expressing it.
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    05 Jul '11 20:22
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Thread 83831
    "Those were the days, my friend. I thought they'd never end." But they did.

Ah, the moon, LJ! The music and the moon! 🙂
  13. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 16:57
    Whilst I don't consider myself an atheist, I am satisfied that I actually disbelieve in your version of god. I'm glad it's working out for you though.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 17:40
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Whilst I don't consider myself an atheist, I am satisfied that I actually disbelieve in your version of god. I'm glad it's working out for you though.
    Generally, an atheist is a person who disbelieves in one more god than does his theist neighbor. So it strikes me as odd that anyone would find it hard to believe a particular god is nonexistent, as we all believe a vast multitude of gods are nonexistent. And because so many of those gods may be jealous gods, the theists and atheists alike should equally fear the consequences of their disbelief.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/gods.htm
  15. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Jul '11 17:06
    Generally, an atheist is a person who disbelieves in one more god than does his theist neighbor. So it strikes me as odd that anyone would find it hard to believe a particular god is nonexistent, as we all believe a vast multitude of gods are nonexistent. And because so many of those gods may be jealous gods, the theists and atheists alike should equally fear the consequences of their disbelief.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/gods.htm
    I have no difficulty in disbelieving particular versions of god while being unable to wholly dismiss the idea of a god/creator. The standard christian version - sent his own son to die on the cross, only through him can you enter the kingdom etc. - is unacceptable to my mind because clearly there are non-christians who are better people than some christians. To me this is logically inconsistent. I simply cannot accept that god is prepared to damn a saintly person simply because they didn't bow to the right statue and say the right words but save a selfish hypocrite who followed his instructions. In fact more than that, I don't want any part of any kingdom of such a god. I would prefer damnation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree