1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 17:36
    Final Disposition of Your Human Remains

Whether you were born before or after World War II your physical death is a certainty. Have you given much thought to the "final disposition of your human remains"? Burial or entombment in a cemetery vault; Scattering on earth or sea; Dispersion into space; Shipment or delivery of your cremated remains in an urn to a designated person? What about instructions for the final disposition preparation process which typically include removal, autopsy, funeral home, embalming, dressing, casket, viewing, ceremony, burial plot or cremation? 2010 Instructions to Eric: A least cost cremation without ceremony. Yours?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 17:45
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Final Disposition of Your Human Remains

Whether you were born before or after World War II your physical death is a certainty. Have you given much thought to the "final disposition of your human remains"? Burial or entombment in a cemetery vault; Scattering on earth or sea; Dispersion into space; Shipment or delivery of your cremated re ...[text shortened]... al plot or cremation? 2010 Instructions to Eric: A least cost cremation without ceremony. Yours?[/b]
    I'd like my body put into a peat bog to confuse future generations of archeologists.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 18:03

Whether you were born before or after World War II your physical death is a certainty. Have you given much thought to the "final disposition of your human remains"? Burial or entombment in a cemetery vault; Scattering on earth or sea; Dispersion into space; Shipment or delivery of your cremated re ...[text shortened]... al plot or cremation? 2010 Instructions to Eric: A least cost cremation without ceremony. Yours?[/b]
    If I die before the Lord returns I have been leaning on buryal. For awhile I have been considering cremation. Lately though I went back to considering a grave.

The reason for this change has been upon considering how Abraham, in faith, and his sons afterwards, used the cave at Machpelah as a burial sight for all those who expected God to keep His promises.

You have an entire chapter dedicated to Abraham, who lived all his life in a tent, preparing a burial place properly for his dear wife Sarah. This is Genesis 21.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 18:10

What has WW2 got to do with it?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 18:53
    Originally posted by sonship
    If I die before the Lord returns I have been leaning on buryal. For awhile I have been considering cremation. Lately though I went back to considering a grave.

The reason for this change has been upon considering how Abraham, in faith, and his sons afterwards, used the cave at Machpelah as a burial sight for all those who expected God to keep His ...[text shortened]... in a tent, preparing a burial place properly for his dear wife Sarah. This is [b]Genesis 21
    .[/b]
    Your choice, sonship; however, you and I living in the Post Canon Church Age,
    not the Theocentric Dispensation of Abraham or of the Jewish Patriarchs.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 18:58
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What has WW2 got to do with it?
    Simply a point of historical reference with the hope that it would serve as a reality check and reminder that many of our parents have already died. Our own death seemed distant when both our fathers and mothers were alive. We're next.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 19:20
    Also a least cost cremation. Graves waste so much valuable real estate.
  8. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 20:21

Thanks for the reminder. It's a part of our responsibility to be prepared to make it easier on the spouse or family.
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 20:261 edit

If I die before you, I request my remains be frozen immediately, and then be placed just underneath your kitchen floorboards (along with whatever things are necessary to quick-start the decomposition process).
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 21:471 edit
    Your choice, sonship; however, you and I living in the Post Canon Church Age,
    not the Theocentric Dispensation of Abraham or of the Jewish Patriarchs.
    We do share much similar hope with Abraham of the patriarchal age. Paul links the church believers to Abraham very much in Romans chapter 4.

A hope in the resurrection and in the inheriting of the world is shared by all the spiritual descendents of "father" Abraham. Notice how Paul speak of the inheriting of the world as the end of God's justification process -

"For it was not through law that the promise was made to Abraham or to his seed that he would be the heir of the world, but through the righteousness of faith." (Romans 4:13)

For Abraham and his seed the inheritance of the world is the end result of God's justification by faith.

I hope it is clear that I don't mean God needs for the Christian's body to be in one place in order for Him to resurrect him. Of course He can endow us with resurrection and glorified bodies even if we are ashes spread over the ocean.

What I have been contemplating is just a kind of statement of faith. I mean the faith that Abraham displayed in purchasing a grave site and entombment environment for his dear fellow heir of faith and himself.

Expedience wise I am very thrifty. I might have my wife just haul my carcus out to the curb to be picked up by the trash collectors. That would be the cheapest thing. And I had almost such an attitude for a long time.

As said, recently, I have reconsidered what kind of statement I want to leave to those friends and family who survive me.

Some wish to make a statement that they do not want to take up valuable physical space on an ever crowded earth. And I think that is a perfectly valid statement to leave which is ecologically significant.

My own mother and father seek their ashes to be scattered on some property my sister owns in New England. They were Christians too. My father is still with us. So I don't knock at all that final decision.

On a lighter note, when they asked Bob Hope where he would like to be buried, after a short moment of refection he replied "Surprise me!"
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 22:03
    Have you given much thought to the "final disposition of your human remains"?
    Yes. I think it is a matter and a decision for those who survive me because what happens to my remains is tied up with their commemoration of me. For this reason, if I were to die tomorrow, I know that I would be buried in a private family cemetery in a town one hour to the east of where I live. I feel no need to interfere with this projected arrangement. If it were up to me I would probably choose cremation.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 22:10
    Originally posted by Agerg
    If I die before you, I request my remains be frozen immediately, and then be placed just underneath your kitchen floorboards (along with whatever things are necessary to quick-start the decomposition process).
    Okay. Just before you blow out the last candle, please have a family member or friend call for my mailing address.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 22:12
    Originally posted by roigam
    Thanks for the reminder. It's a part of our responsibility to be prepared to make it easier on the spouse or family.
    Well said, roigam. Your "spouse and family will appreciate your thoughtfulness in the present and in absentia.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 06:59
    Originally posted by sonship
    Expedience wise I am very thrifty. I might have my wife just haul my carcus out to the curb to be picked up by the trash collectors. That would be the cheapest thing. And I had almost such an attitude for a long time.
    In most countries that will cost her a small fortune in legal fees trying to explain why she did that.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 12:10
    I won't be there to care for what happens, so I suggest whoever has to deal with my remains does so in the method most convenient to them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree