1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 12:30
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I won't be there to care for what happens, so I suggest whoever has to deal with my remains does so in the method most convenient to them.
    I won't be there to care for what happens, so I suggest whoever has to deal with my remains does so in the method most convenient to them.

Where will you be?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 12:37
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Final Disposition of Your Human Remains

Whether you were born before or after World War II your physical death is a certainty. Have you given much thought to the "final disposition of your human remains"? Burial or entombment in a cemetery vault; Scattering on earth or sea; Dispersion into space; Shipment or delivery of your cremated re ...[text shortened]... al plot or cremation? 2010 Instructions to Eric: A least cost cremation without ceremony. Yours?[/b]
    I plan to wander off into the desert and die. Let the sun, wind and rain take care of the flesh.

Probably against the law, but I don't care. Nobody will ever notice. My family can just do a posthumous burial. Death is so personal! 😉
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 13:07
    Originally posted by josephw
    I plan to wander off into the desert and die. Let the sun, wind and rain take care of the flesh.

Probably against the law, but I don't care. Nobody will ever notice. My family can just do a posthumous burial. Death is so personal! 😉
    Not such a good plan. You family might have some posthumous explaining to do too.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 13:26
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Not such a good plan. You family might have some posthumous explaining to do too.
    I know. Haven't worked out the bugs yet. May have to get some sort of variance from the powers that be.

I could just make the case that it is my "religious" belief. After all, all kinds of animals die and rot where the fell. Why not me?
  5. Germany
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 15:52
    [b]I won't be there to care for what happens, so I suggest whoever has to deal with my remains does so in the method most convenient to them.

Where will you be?[/b]
    Dead, I presume. What I meant was that I will most likely have no consciousness, hence I would not be able to form an opinion on what happens to my corpse.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 16:16
    [b]Final Disposition of Your Human Remains

Whether you were born before or after World War II your physical death is a certainty. Have you given much thought to the "final disposition of your human remains"? Burial or entombment in a cemetery vault; Scattering on earth or sea; Dispersion into space; Shipment or delivery of your cremated re ...[text shortened]... al plot or cremation? 2010 Instructions to Eric: A least cost cremation without ceremony. Yours?[/b]
    What is needed are new funerary rites for a post-consumerist society. Such as the following:

Throughout the year, the dead of any particular community will be cremated. Their ashes will be kept until the spring, when the living members will proceed to an area designated as the "sacred woods". There, in a solemn ceremony, the ashes of all the deceased will be mixed together and a portion of this will be deposited in holes dug for the planting of new trees. As the trees grow, they'll absorb a portion of their sustenance from the ashes of the dead, thus continuing the endless cycle of death begetting new life. During the rest of the year, the community will hold important festivals or ceremonies in the sacred woods, where, when the breeze rustles the leaves in the trees, you can hear the voices of the deceased whispering to you. The trees in the sacred woods could be sustainably managed to provide wood for various projects, including the building of caskets for the newly deceased. The dead will provide for the trees, and the trees will provide for the dead.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 16:29
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What is needed are new funerary rites for a post-consumerist society. Such as the following:

Throughout the year, the dead of any particular community will be cremated. Their ashes will be kept until the spring, when the living members will proceed to an area designated as the "sacred woods". There, in a solemn ceremony, the ashes of all the deceased wil ...[text shortened]... he newly deceased. The dead will provide for the trees, and the trees will provide for the dead.
    Just ingenious!

But it feels too religious to me. 😉
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 16:39
    Originally posted by sonship
    If I die before the Lord returns I have been leaning on buryal. For awhile I have been considering cremation. Lately though I went back to considering a grave.

The reason for this change has been upon considering how Abraham, in faith, and his sons afterwards, used the cave at Machpelah as a burial sight for all those who expected God to keep His ...[text shortened]... in a tent, preparing a burial place properly for his dear wife Sarah. This is [b]Genesis 21
    .[/b]
    Graves are a misuse of public land, they foster diseases if the remains contaminate the ground. I'll do cremation, or maybe creamation, haven't decided🙂
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 16:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Graves are a misuse of public land, they foster diseases if the remains contaminate the ground. I'll do cremation, or maybe creamation, haven't decided🙂
    You'll be dreamated! 😀
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 18:52
    The trees in the sacred woods could be sustainably managed to provide wood for various projects, including the building of caskets for the newly deceased.
    Caskets can be recycled when you use cremation.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 19:07
    Not the same. The reintroduction of the sacred (divorced from the supernatural) into daily life, would be an integral part of a post-consumerist ethos.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 19:17

Throughout the year, the dead of any particular community will be cremated. Their ashes will be kept until the spring, when the living members will proceed to an area designated as the "sacred woods". There, in a solemn ceremony, the ashes of all the deceased wil ...[text shortened]... he newly deceased. The dead will provide for the trees, and the trees will provide for the dead.
    Any idea what the going cost of simple cremation is within the major countries of the civilized world?
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 19:35
    Any idea what the going cost of simple cremation is within the major countries of the civilized world?
    In the post-consumerist society, where social relationships have been freed from their reduction into impersonal cash transactions, cost will be of little concern.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 19:37
    There's an aspect of cremation you seem to be missing with that statement.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 19:55
    Not the same. The reintroduction of the sacred (divorced from the supernatural) into daily life, would be an integral part of a post-consumerist ethos.
    I have no problem with using the wood for furniture etc. I am just saying that when you use cremation, you do not need to burn the coffin and it can be reused.
    I also have to point out that hearing the whispering of dead relatives sounds suspiciously supernatural to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree