1. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 19:57
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    There's an aspect of cremation you seem to be missing with that statement.
    The coffin does not need to be burnt. I know this because I attended the cremation of a family member and we kept the coffin for future use.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 20:01
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    There's an aspect of cremation you seem to be missing with that statement.
    It could happen. The ashes could be incorporated into the ink of a 3D printer and turned back into another casket🙂
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 20:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I have no problem with using the wood for furniture etc. I am just saying that when you use cremation, you do not need to burn the coffin and it can be reused.
    I also have to point out that hearing the whispering of dead relatives sounds suspiciously supernatural to me.
    It is a poetic license and not meant to be taken literally. It would be 'as though' the dead were whispering to you.

Trees, if managed sustainably, are a sustainable resource. If the burning of caskets does not lead to deforestation, then it is of no harm. But it is my intent to suggest possible funerary rites, not dictate them. If burning caskets proves prohibitive, or unpopular, then alternate arrangements could be made.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 20:12
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Dead, I presume. What I meant was that I will most likely have no consciousness, hence I would not be able to form an opinion on what happens to my corpse.
    "Dead, I presume. What I meant was that I will most likely have no consciousness, hence I would not be able to form an opinion on what happens to my corpse."

KazetNagorra, by "Final Disposition of Your Human Remains" the intent was to focus on our material not our immaterial beings. What if the "What I meant was that I will most likely have no consciousness..." speculation is uninformed?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 20:17
    Originally posted by rwingett
    In the post-consumerist society, where social relationships have been freed from their reduction into impersonal cash transactions, cost will be of little concern.
    In 2010 in the USA the least cost for a simple cremation without ceremony was approximately $1,200 ($975 in 2003).
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 20:36
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    In 2010 in the USA the least cost for a simple cremation without ceremony was approximately $1,200 ($975 in 2003).
    So?
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 21:362 edits
    Okay. Just before you blow out the last candle, please have a family member or friend call for my mailing address.
    Whoah woh ... I have to make arrangements for at least one member of my family or a friend to be in contact with you!?? ... no no, I take it all back - I like my friends way too much.

To those who will be left to deal with my rotting remains once I am dead, I would say to them: do with my body whatever makes you least unhappy, and minimises financial burden
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 21:501 edit
    So?
    Point of reference with my own inquiries in 2010 and the cost of Evelyn's in 2003 in the event you decide to provide definitive costs in line with your: "What is needed are new funerary rites for a post-consumerist society" proposition.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 21:54
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Whoah woh ... I have to make arrangements for at least one member of my family or a friend to be in contact with you!?? ... no no, I take it all back - I like my friends way too much.

To those who will be left to deal with my rotting remains once I am dead, I would say to them: do with my body whatever makes you least unhappy, and minimises financial burden
    Originally posted by Agerg (Page 1)
    "If I die before you, I request my remains be frozen immediately, and then be placed just underneath your kitchen floorboards (along with whatever things are necessary to quick-start the decomposition process)."

Originally posted by Agerg
    "Whoah woh ... I have to make arrangements for at least one member of my family or a friend to be in contact with you!?? ... no no, I take it all back - I like my friends way too much."

Whatever you choose.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 22:04
    Point of reference with my own inquiries in 2010 and the cost of Evelyn's in 2003 in the event you decide to provide definitive costs in line with your: "What is needed are new funerary rites for a post-consumerist society" proposition.
    You seem to think that my new funerary rites will simply be grafted onto contemporary consumerist society. They will not. I have taken pains to explain that they will be part of what constitutes a post-consumerist society, where current costs and economic considerations will not be applicable. But you seem intent on ignoring that part of it.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 01:15
    You seem to think that my new funerary rites will simply be grafted onto contemporary consumerist society. They will not. I have taken pains to explain that they will be part of what constitutes a post-consumerist society, where current costs and economic considerations will not be applicable. But you seem intent on ignoring that part of it.
    You and I have our lives and times in the here and now. You've always struck me as a pragmatic man. My apology.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 01:28
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby to Agerg

Whatever you choose.
    These patronising sign-offs make me sick.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 12:04
    "Dead, I presume. What I meant was that I will most likely have no consciousness, hence I would not be able to form an opinion on what happens to my corpse."

KazetNagorra, by "Final Disposition of Your Human Remains" the intent was to focus on our material not our immaterial beings. What if the "What I meant was that I will most likely have no consciousness..." speculation is uninformed?
    No communication with dead people has ever been recorded, hence it seems the most plausible scenario that I will have no consciousness, or if I do, that I won't be able to communicate my wishes to people still living. If some consciousness does remain, there is no a priori reason to assume anything about my preferences, post-death, so it does not play a role for me and ought not play one for my relatives.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 15:13
    No communication with dead people has ever been recorded, hence it seems the most plausible scenario that I will have no consciousness, or if I do, that I won't be able to communicate my wishes to people still living. If some consciousness does remain, there is no a priori reason to assume anything about my preferences, post-death, so it does not play a role for me and ought not play one for my relatives.
    Thank you.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 18:18
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    These patronising sign-offs make me sick.
    Whatever! 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree