Fine-tuning of the Universe for life

Fine-tuning of the Universe for life

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
13 Feb 14

Originally posted by sonship
[b]Still, it looks more and more like there are an infinite number of universes and we happen to be in the one that happens to allow us to be in it.

There cannot be an infinite number of anything in the real world. Infinity is a conceptual matter useful in doing math on paper.

That's purely a layman's explanation. If you need s ...[text shortened]... own the sense of surprise in a finely tuned universe that seems to have anticipated our arrival.[/b]
seems odd that somebody would 'fine tune' the universe for the purpose of supporting life........and then go ahead and make it so inhospitable and dangerous to life.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Feb 14
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie
seems odd that somebody would 'fine tune' the universe for the purpose of supporting life........and then go ahead and make it so inhospitable and dangerous to life.
Okay, Now that is a DIFFERENT aspect of considering this matter.

" If so Fine Tuned how come so few occurrences of planets with life?
If so Fine Tuned why not a universe FILLED with life everywhere we turn our telescopes ?"

That is a different matter maybe we can get to.

Infidel

Moves
13 Feb 14
1 edit

If so Fine Tuned why not a universe FILLED with life everywhere we turn our telescopes ?"

Not to toot my own horn but erm... *beep beep*....

I mentioned pretty much those points in the fourth post of this thread.

As to your question about scientists saying this and that about this subject. What's your point there? Should I accept anything any scientist says as true because he happens to be a scientist?

What about those scientists that say that evolution is a matter of fact? You accept that as well, I should suppose?

Infidel

Moves
13 Feb 14

Have you ever looked at the pale blue dot photo for a really long time, sonship?

Don't think about it, just read the description and then simply look at the photo for a long time.

Moves
13 Feb 14

i was thinking more along the lines of all the super massive black holes, giant meteors, radiation, lack of oxygen, extreme heat, extreme cold...................its almost like somebody is trying to kill us.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Feb 14

Suppose though that Jerry L. Wilson's birthday fell on October 10, 1958. Now he gets a random license plate from the DMV and they issue him, at random license place JLW 81058.

The license plate coincidentally coincides with his birthday.
The problem is that this is not the case with the universe. You do not know the universes birthday.
What you are doing with the universe is saying "Hey, what an amazing co-incidence - thats Jerry L. Wilson's license plate number!."
"Probably somebody at the Department of Motor Vehicles knew that Jerry L. Wilson was going to have that licence plate number and issued that plate on purpose."
"Nobody can deny the uniqueness of Jerry L. Wilson's license plate number!"
"If I don't keep this nonsense up someone might convert me to atheism!"

Cape Town

Moves
13 Feb 14

"If so Fine Tuned how come so few occurrences of planets with life?"
As I mentioned before, we actually do not know how common life is in the universe. Life as we know it on earth could survive and several of our solar systems planets and moons - and we don't know that it doesn't.
We know practically nothing whatsoever about planets outside our solar system other than estimates of sizes and surface temperatures of a very small sample of close neighbours.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Feb 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
As I mentioned before, we actually do not know how common life is in the universe. Life as we know it on earth could survive and several of our solar systems planets and moons - and we don't know that it doesn't.
We know practically nothing whatsoever about planets outside our solar system other than estimates of sizes and surface temperatures of a very small sample of close neighbours.
As I mentioned before, we actually do not know how common life is in the universe.
We have a pretty good idea, actually.
Every where we've looked so far, we've only found it here.
If there is life out there, they haven't looked here yet.

That's two things we know about it.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
13 Feb 14

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
[b]As I mentioned before, we actually do not know how common life is in the universe.
We have a pretty good idea, actually.

That's two things we know about it.[/b]
Even assuming that there is no life on the other planets in our solar system we are faced with the fact that 1 in 8 planets we know of has LIFE.

How many planets do you think are out there?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
13 Feb 14

LOL. We're Always debating theism verses atheism on this forum.
Therein lies the problem.
You cannot separate any debate from that.
And for that reason you cannot follow any logical discussion.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
13 Feb 14
1 edit

There cannot be an infinite number of anything in the real world.
Wow.
Your Nobel Prize is in the post.
By the way ... may we see your proof or where it was published?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

Cape Town

Moves
13 Feb 14

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Everywhere on earth we have looked, we have found life. We haven't really looked very many other places.

You mean they haven't been here yet. Not the same thing at all.

That's two things we know about it.
Neither of which tells us very much at all. Its like one grain of sand on the beach saying 'well I'm dry, and my neighbour is dry, this means all sand is probably dry!'.
Of the more than a billion billion planets out there (thats > 1,000,000,000,000,000,000) you have looked at maybe 2, and found life on 1.
Sorry, but you know next to nothing.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Feb 14
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
o atheism!"[/b]
[b]The problem is that this is not the case with the universe. You do not know the universes birthday.
What you are doing with the universe is saying "Hey, what an amazing co-incidence - thats Jerry L. Wilson's license plate number!."
"Probably somebody at the Department of Motor Vehicles knew that Jerry L. Wilson was going to have that licence plate number and issued that plate on purpose."
"Nobody can deny the uniqueness of Jerry L. Wilson's license plate number!"
"If I don't keep this nonsense up someone might convert me t0 atheism."

Am I suppose to pop up now and say "Wow, you took the words right out of mouth" ?

I think your goal should be less ambitious than to convert me to atheism. I'd be impressed with just a sound argument for it not packaged in a facade of academia.

I asked you to point out your most significant few words about your Lottery Ticket analogy.

What was it you really wanted me to understand about your Lottery Ticket example as it relates to the Anthropic Principle ?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Feb 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Wow.
Your Nobel Prize is in the post.
By the way ... may we see your proof or where it was published?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse
Let me ask you a simple question.

To what do you attribute the existence of the universe ?

I can only think of four possibilities. I'd like to see which of the four you might regard as the source of universe. You, wolfgang59. This is a question for you.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Feb 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Even assuming that there is no life on the other planets in our solar system we are faced with the [b]fact that 1 in 8 planets we know of has LIFE.

How many planets do you think are out there?[/b]
42?