1. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 14:591 edit
    The rise of the new Flat Earth movement is quite astonishing. (Check out their website!)

I have often wondered why mature and intelligent people who have at least a smattering knowledge of science still hold archaic and medieval beliefs like a Six-Day Creation, a global flood, and reject evolution.

Now at least some people have the courage to go the whole nine yards and accept the literal model of the three-tiered Old Testament cosmology as well. It is the logical next step.

My challenge to the RHP SF Fundamentalist Christians (e.g. Kelly Jay, secondson, sonship, philokalia and others) is simply this:

1. Do you believe that the earth is flat? (If yes, good for you, at least you are consistent. Skip the next question )

2. If not, why not, since the OT clearly describes a three-level universe, with waters above and below the firmament, heaven above and hell below, etc?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 15:10
    @CalJust

The Flat Earth society is spreading around the globe.
  3. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 15:23
    @sonship said
    @CalJust

The Flat Earth society is spreading around the globe.
    Hehe, good one.

Seriously though, what in your opinion makes belief in a flat earth different from belief in a six-day creation? Both are clearly in the Bible.
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 15:26
    @caljust said
    The rise of the new Flat Earth movement is quite astonishing. (Check out their website!)

I have often wondered why mature and intelligent people who have at least a smattering knowledge of science still hold archaic and medieval beliefs like a Six-Day Creation, a global flood, and reject evolution.

Now at least some people have the courage to go the whole nine yards an ...[text shortened]... a three-level universe, with waters above and below the firmament, heaven above and hell below, etc?
    I genuinely can't bring myself to look at such a website.

Too depressing.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 18:45
    @caljust said

Now at least some people have the courage to go the whole nine yards an ...[text shortened]... a three-level universe, with waters above and below the firmament, heaven above and hell below, etc?
    I watched a Netflix documentary a week or so ago called 'Behind the curve'. It was really interesting, especially listening to psychologists discuss why they think people end up believing in a flat earth. Towards the end a group of them accidently prove that the earth is a globe, but just decided to pretend it never happened.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 19:02
    @caljust said

Hmm. I'll play.

2. The levels could all be curved.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 19:221 edit
    @CalJust

Hehe, good one.

Seriously though, what in your opinion makes belief in a flat earth different from belief in a six-day creation? Both are clearly in the Bible.

I don't follow it at all.

What I know is just by word of mouth from a few people. I was told that it started as a tongue in cheek imitation of young earth creationism.

Like "OK if you're going to claim that kind of literalism we can start a movement to argue for a flat earth just as well. "

But I don't know for certain of the origins of the pop movement.

Strictly speaking the Hebrew says God MADE asah - (Exodus 20:11) the earth and heaven in six days. It doesn't use the word usually translated create asah. It could have. Why not then? I suspect the Spirit of God is precise and it is made and not created in six days.

But there is also debate over the overlapping of the two Hebrew terms bara for CREATE and asah for MADE.

Some argue that it is CREATED in six days. Some say, No, it says MADE as in more like formed, shaped, fashioned in six days. The word is used for trimming nails, preparing a meal, cutting a beard elsewhere. That is as working with pre-existing material.

I lean towards this latter interpretation. Something was damaged and MADE or restored in six days.

I don't follow the flat earth controversy.
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 20:05
    @CalJust

Doesn't Isaiah 40:22 hint at a globe?

'It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to dwell in.'
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 23:01
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    @CalJust

Doesn't Isaiah 40:22 hint at a globe?

'It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to dwell in.'
    A disc?
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 23:49
    @stellspalfie said
    I watched a Netflix documentary a week or so ago called 'Behind the curve'. It was really interesting, especially listening to psychologists discuss why they think people end up believing in a flat earth. Towards the end a group of them accidently prove that the earth is a globe, but just decided to pretend it never happened.
    So what was the consensus? Why DO people ignore reality?
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 00:23
    @caljust said

It has taken a while but it has finally happened..

I've been called a fundamentalist on this website, lol.

I don't believe the world is flat.

I don't believe the Bible contends the world is flat.
  12. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 02:42
    i work for the guys who boss the cia...
    i am here to study the inhabitants of the internet, and subtly manipulate brainwaves...
    i am invisible and you cannot read these words...
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 08:39
    @caljust said

2. If not, why not, since the OT clearly describes a three-level universe, with waters above and below the firmament, heaven above and hell below, etc?
    I think you are reading more into the text than is actually there; the Earth is a globe and yet still has waters above and below it’s firmament. Of course when viewed from space and in its globular glory the very terms “above” and “below” become somewhat moot.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 08:421 edit
    @stellspalfie said
    I maintain that many, most, if not all (although sadly it won’t be all of them) don’t believe the earth is flat at all; for some it is an exercise in intellectual one-upmanship. @FreakyKBH is one such person here at RHP.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 08:43
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Hmm. I'll play.

2. The levels could all be curved.
    Ah beat me too it, and more succinctly to boot.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree