1. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jan '21 16:56
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Good people have done evil things when they believe they are acting in the name of God and carrying out His wishes.
    If it is indeed Gods wishes they are doing, then they they are good, regardless of who disagrees. King Saul was commanded to kill out the Amalekites. He disobeyed. Then by definition he was evil and God punished him.

In the end it is God who will judge good and evil.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jan '21 18:24
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke
    There is also justice logic in reincarnation, with people dying young in this life having the chance to live again in the next. Does that make it true? Should we only believe things that are warm and cuddly and ignore reality?

What's the reality we are ignoring?
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Jan '21 18:32
    @sonship said
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke
    There is also justice logic in reincarnation, with people dying young in this life having the chance to live again in the next. Does that make it true? Should we only believe things that are warm and cuddly and ignore reality?

What's the reality we are ignoring?
    That there isn't a final accounting, that bad people who die before they are punished are not punished beyond death.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Jan '21 18:36
    @rajk999 said
    Evil people do evil. Good people do good.
    There are no exceptions
    What if a good person 'mistakenly' believes God wants them to do an evil act. (Perhaps they have been led astray). Is that an exception?

History is littered with good people who have been brainwashed into doing evil acts in the name of a particular deity.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jan '21 20:48
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke
    That there isn't a final accounting, that bad people who die before they are punished are not punished beyond death.

And you know this is the reality because ___________?
    A.) You prefer it that way.
    B.) Not all theists are good people.
    C.) Evolution just works that way.
    D.) You just know it as a brute given.
    E.) Some really smart people you know laugh at the Bible.
    F.) Other
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Jan '21 21:09
    @sonship said
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

And you know this is the reality because ___________?
    A.) You prefer it that way.
    B.) Not all theists are good people.
    C.) Evolution just works that way.
    D.) You just know it as a brute given.
    E.) Some really smart people you know laugh at the Bible.
    F.) Other
    D
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jan '21 21:16
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    What if a good person 'mistakenly' believes God wants them to do an evil act. (Perhaps they have been led astray). Is that an exception?

History is littered with good people who have been brainwashed into doing evil acts in the name of a particular deity.
    Who decides that it was a good person in the first place? Those questions can only be answered on the day of judgment by the only man [Christ] who knows the heart ie the intent and motive for peoples actions.

Of course there is the case of Job who God regarded as good and he could not be led astray. There are many such people. Solomon was a good man but led astray by too many women to worship idols. Its a difficult topic. For me Im hesitant to call people who appear to be good, good, or to call people who appear to be bad, bad. You just never know.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '21 23:55
    @sonship said
    @FMF
    No one can pretend to believe.
    Probably no one can pretend that they use to either.
    I have no doubt that there are people who pretend to have been believers in the past.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '21 00:00
    @sonship said
    With atheism there is no final accounting.
    Perpetrators dissolve peacefully into oblivion.

With God there IS a final accounting.
    One of the reasons we tremble to pass judgment too easily on others.
    If your fear of a supernatural being punishing you after you die makes you behave in a morally sound way, then I welcome such morally sound behaviour.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jan '21 00:11
    @sonship said
    @divegeester
    Don't trouble yourself longer on it.
    It makes no sense to you.
    It’s makes no sense, that’s why.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Jan '21 11:45
    @FMF
    If your fear of a supernatural being punishing you after you die makes you behave in a morally sound way, then I welcome such morally sound behaviour.

Yea, I've heard that one before.

No regurgitating now.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '21 11:49
    @sonship said
    No regurgitating now.
    It's my own view expressed in my own words. I am not regurgitating the writings of some cult leader from somewhere or other or from some time in the past. But anyway, sonship, the point you are deflecting from is this: if you don't rape women because you fear the God figure you believe in, then that is good news for women.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Jan '21 11:521 edit
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

Well, I don't share any such an assumption. I have to deal with a character of great purity, Jesus. What He says about the matter carries weight.

He wanted nothing for Himself. He wanted everything for His Father.
    And His Father, I believe, vindicated that and put death and the grave under His feet.

So this man speaks to the world about forgiveness and judgment carries a weighty approvedness. Its not accidental. It is deliberately consistent.

So when Jesus speaks of forgiveness and redemption and yes final, absolute final judgment according to truth, it matches the power of His deeds.

The alternative seems mostly to throw stones at religion and religious people hoping that enough stones thrown will make Christ and God go away somehow.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Jan '21 12:03
    @FMF

You're regurgitating a standard quip used for years.

You repeat and its original.
    Someone else repeats what you don't like and its regurgitating a cult leader.

Anyway, a genetic fallacy wouldn't prove atheism is true.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jan '21 12:58
    @rajk999 said
    Who decides that it was a good person in the first place? Those questions can only be answered on the day of judgment by the only man [Christ] who knows the heart ie the intent and motive for peoples actions.

Of course there is the case of Job who God regarded as good and he could not be led astray. There are many such people. Solomon was a good man but led astray by too ...[text shortened]... ople who appear to be good, good, or to call people who appear to be bad, bad. You just never know.
    And yet you pass judgement on many who post here, calling them "mouth worshippers", when in reality you "just never know."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree