For haphazard were we born .....

For haphazard were we born .....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
24 Jul 06

Originally posted by ivanhoe
In my previous posts I have explained that the ToE is developing from being a scientific theory to an overall ideology.

That's what I mean with "the present ToE".
And I still don't know what you're talking about.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
24 Jul 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
And I still don't know what you're talking about.
Ask Bosse de Nage .....

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
25 Jul 06

Originally posted by ivanhoe
Ask Bosse de Nage .....
Very well. The buck stops here...

I'll give you an anecdotal example of how the theory of evolution has been co-opted for ideological purposes. The catch-phrase "survival of the fittest"--which is populist journalese, not a scientific term--has been used to justify white supremacy, like this: "whites are a manifestly superior race, as shown by their advanced technological accomplishments; as such, they are "fitter" than the rest; therefore it is only fit that they survive at the expense of those less fit". Such thinking fitted in well with apartheid ideology in South Africa (often in conjunction with a peculiar religious twist on the sons of Ham).

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
25 Jul 06

"British economist Thomas Malthus’s 1798 theory that world population growth would outstrip food supply spread alarm among Teutonic supremacists. Charles Darwin’s theory of survival of the fittest was distorted to suggest that "inferior" peoples deserved extinction. Darwin’s cousin Francis Galton proposed the science of eugenics. Malthus and Galton had only proposed controlling population growth, but later proponents of the "master race" would interpret this to justify mass murder and genocide.[29]"

The whole article is worth reading:
http://www.leftcurve.org/LC29WebPages/ManifestDestiny.html

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
25 Jul 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Well, some people do take evolution and make it into an ideology. That's their problem. Other people took the concept of god, and turned it into an ideology too, and that was used to justify burning "witches" and the crusades. And the spanish inquisition. And the burning of one, "bruno". And the house arrest of Galileo. And many, many other despicable acts.
Gave you a rec for the mentioning of Bruno.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
26 Jul 06

Despite Bosse's insightful posts, all I see is misguided application of the misinterpreted results of the ToE. Are you suggesting that proposed eugenics somehow drives the scientific inquiry of the ToE? Ludicrous.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
26 Jul 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Well, some people do take evolution and make it into an ideology. That's their problem. Other people took the concept of god, and turned it into an ideology too, and that was used to justify burning "witches" and the crusades. And the spanish inquisition. And the burning of one, "bruno". And the house arrest of Galileo. And many, many other despicable acts.
Whoa there! Here's a little quandary with your post: by what standard do you condemn witch burning, the crusades and the persecution of "scientists"? If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were alluding to an absolute norm of moral right and wrong. Methinks you have a bigger problem on your hands than fickle little religious people who do "despicable" acts -- you have no absolute standard of finding their acts "despicable"; they were merely doing what they thought was good and you are merely objecting because you think it is evil.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
26 Jul 06

Originally posted by Halitose
Whoa there! Here's a little quandary with your post: by what standard do you condemn witch burning, the crusades and the persecution of "scientists"? If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were alluding to an absolute norm of moral right and wrong. Methinks you have a bigger problem on your hands than fickle little religious people who do "despicable" act ...[text shortened]... [/i] thought was good and you are merely objecting because you think it is evil.
You're quite right--removing "despicable" would greatly improve scottishinnz's post.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
26 Jul 06

Originally posted by David C
Despite Bosse's insightful posts, all I see is misguided application of the misinterpreted results of the ToE. Are you suggesting that proposed eugenics somehow drives the scientific inquiry of the ToE? Ludicrous.
I think we've lost Ivanhoe, David C. I was so looking forward to something substantial from him, too.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
26 Jul 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
You're quite right--removing "despicable" would greatly improve scottishinnz's post.
Not in the least. His moral objection to ideologies is unfounded -- unless he himself subscribes to one of them.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
26 Jul 06

Not in the least. His moral objection to ideologies is unfounded -- unless he himself subscribes to one of them.
Removing the emotive adjective makes his statement a more or less accurate observation. The adjective betrays his attitude towards the subject matter. Try replacing "despicable" with "meritorious".

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
26 Jul 06

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were alluding to an absolute norm of moral right and wrong..
Nonsense. He's merely demonstrating that morality is ever-changing, and judging the morality of the Dark Ages (derived ENTIRELY from the christian bible, I'll remind you) by today's moral standards. Unenlightened they were, wouldn't you agree? If you don't, I'll have you burnt at the stake, BTW.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
26 Jul 06

I think we've lost Ivanhoe, David C. I was so looking forward to something substantial from him, too.
Oh, I'm sure he'll be right back. Perhaps even under his own username. 😛

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
26 Jul 06

Removing the emotive adjective makes his statement a more or less accurate observation. The adjective betrays his attitude towards the subject matter. Try replacing "despicable" with "meritorious".
There should be no difference from his perspective. Morals require ideologies. If scott is non-ideological, then he is also amoral; thus he can't (or at least shouldn't) express moral outrage.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
26 Jul 06

There should be no difference from his perspective. Morals require ideologies. If scott is non-ideological, then he is also amoral; thus he can't (or at least shouldn't) express moral outrage.
You don't have to be amoral to make an accurate observation! As for his evident moral outrage, he can justify it for himself.