Forgetting Religion

Forgetting Religion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Moves
25 Jun 09

Originally posted by daniel58
No the soul is not the brain, A dead person cannot think, the person has to have a soul to be alive.
Man is created as a three dimensional being. There is the human spirit and the human soul and the human body - three parts (1 Thes. 5:23)

The human spirit is the innermost part and was created to directly contact God the Eternal Spirit. It is man's God conscious "organ".

The human soul is the seat of the man's personality and gives man self conciousness and consciousness of other souls.

The human body was created to interact with the physical world.

Therefore man was created with these three sensativities -
The spirit is to substantiate spiritual reality.
The soul is to substantiate psychological reality.
The body is to substantiate physical reality.

The highest and most reeminent part was suppose to have been the human spirit, the innermost kernel of man's being. The soul and the body were meant to be subserviant to the human spirit.

But today man is abnormal. The God conscious organ has become comatose - deadened. This deadness occured with the first man that lived - Adam. Since Adam's fall into rebellion the innermost spirits of all people come into the world in a deadened and comatose state. Therefore people have no sense of God's reality.

The soul ascended to the top and people are dominated mostly by the ascended soul. In some cases people are dominated by the body. They just are slaves to the lust in their body. But most people are under the dominion of thier soul. Both the good and the bad in their soul is on top.

The deadened spirit cannot perceive spiritual reality. But the soul senses that something is missing. The soul is the seat of three subcomponents - Mind, Emotion, and Will.

Everything you do practically involves these three functions of the soul.
You think about it with the Mind.
Your Emotions like it or dislike it.
You Will decides to take an action.

Man lives mostly in the soul. The deadened and comatose human spirit has one function which is not totally dead - conscience. That is an intuitive sense of what is right and what is wrong.

But the human spirit must be resurrected and made alive. The Person responsible for resurrecting and enlivening the comatose human spirit so that a person can sense God is .....

Jesus Christ. He is able to cause the comatose spirit to be reborn.

I'll stop here.

j

Moves
25 Jun 09
1 edit

The human spirit is deadened because of the Fall of man since the sin of Adam. The man who is meant to be three dimensional is fallen into a two dimensional existence.

The soul is very active and prevailing. The body is also. But the spirit is dead. And the sense of something missing or amiss is with many people.

One philosophy is to accept this missing reality, learn to live with the vacuum. Some even boast of not needing any spiritual reality. This is not unusual in one sense. Since in thier own power they cannot enliven thier human spirit they decide to make the best of it.

These people boast of not needing any God. And they force themelves to live this lopsided human life. They can do nothing else.

Others respond to the Gospel of Jesus and He causes their human spirit to be reborn. They sense of God awakens in them.

I have to go now.

P

Moves
25 Jun 09

No the soul is not the brain, A dead person cannot think, the person has to have a soul to be alive.
Does a cat need a soul to live?

Of course I meant a LIVING brain.

If someone is brain dead and is kept alive by a machine do they still have their soul?
At what point of brain function do you lose your soul?

What specifically is the soul? How would you detect the soul?

d

Moves
25 Jun 09

1. A cat? Well some sort of soul but not a human soul, so you cannot take a cat that's been dead for years and make it live again.

2. Yes, they still have their soul.

3. When your soul leaves your body.

4. I cannot fully explain a soul just like I cannot fully explain a motor.

5. You can't detect a soul.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
25 Jun 09
1 edit

Earlier you described the soul as, "The Spiritual "side" of you so to speak, it lets you reason, and helps judge between good and bad."

In the case I presented, why does the soul not step in and help the man continue reasoning properly and maintain his moral values? Is its influence simply weak in comparison to a physical injury?

P

Moves
25 Jun 09

1. A cat? Well some sort of soul but not a human soul, so you cannot take a cat that's been dead for years and make it live again.

2. Yes, they still have their soul.

3. When your soul leaves your body.

4. I cannot fully explain a soul just like I cannot fully explain a motor.

5. You can't detect a soul.
1. Are you implying that you could take a human that's been dead for years and make it live again, but just not with a cat?

2. You said the soul is what lets you reason. A person on life support who is brain dead can't reason... so what's the soul doing?

3. Your answer to the question of "At what point of brain function do you lose your soul? " is "when your soul leaves your body" ?!?!

That doesn't make sense.

4. Well, SOMEONE can fully explain a motor. In fact I'm sure you can find a pretty complete reference online! Who would be able to explain a soul fully?

5. Interesting. You claim it exists, but you can't detect it.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
25 Jun 09
2 edits

Originally posted by PsychoPawn
1. Are you implying that you [b]could take a human that's been dead for years and make it live again, but just not with a cat?

2. You said the soul is what lets you reason. A person on life support who is brain dead can't reason... so what's the soul doing?

3. Your answer to the question of "At what point of brain function do you lose your so explain a soul fully?

5. Interesting. You claim it exists, but you can't detect it.[/b]
Why not get stuck into jaywills arguement for a soul?

P

Moves
26 Jun 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Why not get stuck into jaywills arguement for a soul?
Why?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 Jun 09

Why?
why not? you didn't mind getting stuck into the more flawed arguement

P

Moves
26 Jun 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
why not? you didn't mind getting stuck into the more flawed arguement
I'm not convinced it is more flawed, it's certainly more wordy though.

The problem with the "soul" is that it's much like god. No one can prove it's there and there's no concrete evidence for it. It's primarily an act of faith - Jaywill's argument seems to me to be primarily based in a basis of his faith.

That doesn't make the argument better or more evidence based, it's just built on more premises.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 Jun 09

I'm not convinced it is more flawed, it's certainly more wordy though.

The problem with the "soul" is that it's much like god. No one can prove it's there and there's no concrete evidence for it. It's primarily an act of faith - Jaywill's argument seems to me to be primarily based in a basis of his faith.

That doesn't make the argument better or more evidence based, it's just built on more premises.
possibly.
its more wordy and more thought out.
Definately harder to attack.

d

Moves
26 Jun 09

NO!
1. I said a cat has a soul but not a human soul!

2. The soul lets you live

3. The brain has nothing to do with it, A person brain can stop working but they can be brought back to life but not ALWAYS!

4. I said "I" can't explain it not nobody can't explain it, if anybody can and what we know about it, I'm sure SOMEBODY can explain MORE than me but it's kind of like God you can't detect Him you have to live by Faith.

P

Moves
26 Jun 09

NO!
1. I said a cat has a soul but not a human soul!

2. The soul lets you live

3. The brain has nothing to do with it, A person brain can stop working but they can be brought back to life but not ALWAYS!

4. I said "I" can't explain it not nobody can't explain it, if anybody can and what we know about it, I'm sure SOMEBODY can explain MORE than me but it's kind of like God you can't detect Him you have to live by Faith.
1. Ok, but you specifically said: "you cannot take a cat that's been dead for years and make it live again" and I thought that might be implying that this was a difference between cats and humans.

2. How so? That's an incredibly vague statement and frankly, not really an answer to my question.

3. Yes... and? That doesn't answer the question that I asked.

4. I don't have to live by faith at all. I agree, it is kinda like god in a number of ways.

I think the concept of the soul is just an abstraction to describe certain elements of our consciesness, nothing more. The soul is a human invented concept, just like god.

d

Moves
26 Jun 09

If you don't believe in God that's your problem not mine.

P

Moves
26 Jun 09

If you don't believe in God that's your problem not mine.
I never claimed or implied that it was your "problem". In fact, it's not my problem either. It's actually not a problem at all.

Of course, that's irrelevant to the questions posed.