1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '15 12:15
    Originally posted by JS357
    The entire basis of morality and justice depends on the concept of free will. How can free will be a bs argument?
    Since when??

Given that libertarian free will is logically incoherent and the evidence we have
    suggests that any kind of free will is illusory at best, are you saying that there
    is thus no basis for morality or justice??

I would have to disagree.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Mar '15 14:541 edit
    Originally posted by C Hess
    That is my point.
    Okay, when I see one doing that I'll think of you. 🙂
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Mar '15 14:581 edit
    ...an existing god of compassion and mercy would strike me down right there and then.
    God is not one of your choosing. You err in thinking you can know the mind of God as well as you can know my mind. 😏

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

(2 Peter 3:8-10 KJV)

HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    13 Mar '15 15:51
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Since when??

Given that libertarian free will is logically incoherent and the evidence we have
    suggests that any kind of free will is illusory at best, are you saying that there
    is thus no basis for morality or justice??

I would have to disagree.
    JS357's is an interesting point. If there is no free will then what is the moral justification in punishing people for something they had no choice but to do? Of course, from the judicial system's point of view, since judges also have no free will they have no choice but to imprison them, they can't do anything else. But from a divine point of view there is a clear problem.
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '15 07:47
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Okay, when I see one doing that I'll think of you. 🙂
    I think you might have misunderstood me. I take full blame for that. You (christians) defend your god with this free will argument. But if your god actually existed, and if he was indeed the loving, merciful and compassionate kind, surely he could easily prevent the innocent and the undecided from suffering? In light of that the free will argument is as contrived as it is logically incoherent.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Mar '15 07:56
    I think you might have misunderstood me. I take full blame for that. You (christians) defend your god with this free will argument. But if your god actually existed, and if he was indeed the loving, merciful and compassionate kind, surely he could easily prevent the innocent and the undecided from suffering? In light of that the free will argument is as contrived as it is logically incoherent.
    I grant to you that God could prevent all the bad things we go through, most
    of which we do to ourselves. I ask you would you then just kill us all off if
    there were a way to save some? He is going to stop evil that has been a
    promise from a long time ago, and after that it is gone, not beaten back for
    another day but gone.
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    15 Mar '15 23:45
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    where do you draw the line?

is it at children getting cancer? children getting measles? children getting a mild cough?

how about poverty? how about hunger? must god fix those too?

someone stealing from me is harming me. must he fix that too? won't the thief be harmed in the process?

it's easy to ask someone else to magically solve your problems.
    If you put forward the notion of an omnipotent god that really doesn't give a chit whatsoever about the things it has supposedly created then you have a point. Start arguing that this God character is good, loving, moral point of origin, and what-not ... then in order to satisfy those qualities we must insist that he does fix these wrongs.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Mar '15 15:24
    I grant to you that God could prevent all the bad things we go through, most
    of which we do to ourselves. I ask you would you then just kill us all off if
    there were a way to save some? He is going to stop evil that has been a
    promise from a long time ago, and after that it is gone, not beaten back for
    another day but gone.
    Did those 100 million victims of pogroms in Russia and China do that to themselves? It looks to me quite clear your alleged god, if it exists at all, willfully neglected to even take notice of all those deaths.

How can a supposedly all compassionate deity allow those totally unprovoked murders to take place?

The ones doing the killing were in the vast minority so would you be saying, well there will be a reckoning. So the few thousand actual killers are held responsible but the 100 million get no justice?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Mar '15 16:043 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Did those 100 million victims of pogroms in Russia and China do that to themselves? It looks to me quite clear your alleged god, if it exists at all, willfully neglected to even take notice of all those deaths.

How can a supposedly all compassionate deity allow those totally unprovoked murders to take place?

The ones doing the killing were in the va ...[text shortened]... ing. So the few thousand actual killers are held responsible but the 100 million get no justice?
    Maybe you should be asking yourself why a supposedly all compassionate deity would allow His only begotten Son to be humiliated, scourged, and crucified to death when His Son had not sinned.

Have you ever heard a Christian minister or priest preach about God's plan to eliminate sin and death?

You should start contemplating how puny your thoughts are compared to the creator of the universe and all life on earth. What makes you think you know better than the LORD of Lords, and the KING of kings? 😏

I believe the true answer to that last question concerns your pride and arrogance.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Mar '15 17:41
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Err, no. An existing god of compassion and mercy would not let you do it in the first place, or even make you in such a way that you would want to do it.
    Yeah, free will be damned, eh?

So you're saying that compassion and mercy would prevent anyone from having free will.

Wow, and you say religion is controlling.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Mar '15 17:431 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    If you put forward the notion of an omnipotent god that really doesn't give a chit whatsoever about the things it has supposedly created then you have a point. Start arguing that this God character is good, loving, moral point of origin, and what-not ... then in order to satisfy those qualities we must insist that he does fix these wrongs.
    Would removing your free will to do these things actually "fix" the problem?

Or would it be merely a band-aid?

No, it's on us, individually, not to do these things. Free will thus removes responsibility for good behavior away from God and onto us. As it should be.
  12. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    16 Mar '15 22:321 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Would removing your free will to do these things actually "fix" the problem?

Or would it be merely a band-aid?

No, it's on us, individually, not to do these things. Free will thus removes responsibility for good behavior away from God and onto us. As it should be.
    An employer tells his employee that he is free to leave his job, there are no other jobs. Is this freedom (being a democrat I thought you might emphasize) ? Don't you think your god is playing a similar game ? I say this because the bible tells us that god has intervened on many occasions. It amounts to saying that if you exercise you "free will" in a way that doesn't suit me you are for it.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Mar '15 00:521 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yeah, free will be damned, eh?

So you're saying that compassion and mercy would prevent anyone from having free will.

Wow, and you say religion is controlling.
    So if you saw a man breaking into the house of a woman who lives alone, would you not call the police lest the attacker's free will be tampered with?
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Mar '15 02:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse

The ones doing the killing were in the va ...[text shortened]... ing. So the few thousand actual killers are held responsible but the 100 million get no justice?
    Not sure why you are crying over all of that? Something about death seem
    like a bad thing to you? Isn't it just a part of life in the way you view things?

God's reckoning will be on God's timing not yours, if He chooses to settle up
    while giving everyone a chance to be saved, what is that to you?
  15. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '15 07:04
    Something about death seem like a bad thing to you?
    Yes, to an atheist death is the absolute end of an individual, so it's very, very bad indeed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree