1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 17:44
    Originally posted by @vivify
    I don't know. Why does the bible say God doesn't change his mind, when he clearly has many times in the OT? Simple answer: the bible is flawed.
    Cite an example.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 17:453 edits
    Originally posted by @fmf
    You cited me in your OP. Why not quote the piece on love and choice that you were referring to?
    Did you not say that you do not have the choice to love or not love someone? I think the issue here is the definition of love. Do you agree with Paul's definition in 1 Corinthians 13 that I cited?

Do you love Jesus? You say that you were a Christian, so did you not have the power to not love him, do you still love him, did you never love him, did you change your mind? What?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 18:093 edits
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    If God created us, then how is that free will?

If God intervenes in some supernatural way, how is that impacting free will?

If God says "thou shalt not...." doesn't that impact free will?

If God creates a scenario which implies love me of I'll burn you alive for eternity, where is the free will in that?

If God demands obedience, doesn ...[text shortened]... free will?

If we are driven by hormones to reproduce, doesn't that imply a lack of free will?
    There is no such thing as absolute freedom. We can't choose our parents, where and when we were born or when we will die. But that doesn't mean we have no free will or the ability to seek God.

Acts 17:26

From one man He made every nation of men, to inhabit the whole earth; and He determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their lands. God intended that they would seek Him and perhaps reach out for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 18:09
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Correct, God chooses those whom he knows will choose him.

I realize how confusing it can get.
    The bible doesn't say that. You're adding adding to the bible, a big no-no according biblical doctrine. It's also erroneous, since Paul makes it clear that human decisions plays no part in who God chooses to be saved.

the bible says that some people were created for wrath. Obviously, that means God explicitly created people to go hell; he had no intention of letting them choose salvation.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 18:152 edits
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Cite an example.
    Numbers 23:19

19 God is not human, that he should lie,
    not a human being, that he should change his mind.

1 Samuel 2:30

“Therefore the Lord, the God of Israel, declares: ‘I promised that members of your family would minister before me forever.’ But now the Lord declares: ‘Far be it from me!

“Perhaps they will listen and each one will turn back from his evil way, and I will change my mind concerning the calamity that I intend to bring on them because of their evil deeds.”—Jeremiah 26:3.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 18:15
    The bible doesn't say that. You're adding adding to the bible, a big no-no according biblical doctrine. It's also erroneous, since Paul makes it clear that human decisions plays no part in who God chooses to be saved.

the bible says that some people were created for wrath. Obviously, that means God explicitly created people to go hell; he had no intention of letting them choose salvation.
    Now you are putting these exact words into Paul's mouth, "human decisions plays no part in who God chooses to be saved." Quote his exact words where he says that or admit that you put those words in his mouth.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 18:16
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Now you are putting these exact words into Paul's mouth, "human decisions plays no part in who God chooses to be saved." Quote his exact words where he says that or admit that you put those words in his mouth.
    You made the accusation, you show that I'm wrong, then.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 18:18
    You made the accusation, you show that I'm wrong, then.
    If you cannot give me the verse where Paul spoke those exact words, then I will maintain that you are putting words in his mouth.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 18:272 edits
    If you cannot give me the verse where Paul spoke those exact words, then I will maintain that you are putting words in his mouth.
    You're a child molester. If can't prove you're not, I will maintain that you molest children.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 18:291 edit
    You're a child molester. If can't prove you're not, I will maintain that you molest children.
    You can claim that I am a child molester. If you can't prove it your words are hollow. Just as hollow as they are when you claim that Paul said something without being able to quote the verse.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 18:301 edit
    You can claim that I am a child molester. If you can't prove it your words are hollow.
    Exactly. If you can't prove your claim that I put words in Paul's mouth, your words are hollow.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 18:35
    Exactly. If you can't prove your claim that I put words in Paul's mouth, your words are hollow.
    If you can't prove that the words you quoted belong to Paul, there is no need for me to prove anything since you are unable to back up the claim you made.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 18:39
    If you can't prove that the words you quoted belong to Paul, there is no need for me to prove anything since you are unable to back up the claim you made.
    Likewise. You can't prove I put words in Paul's mouth, and there's no need for me prove anything to you.

You've been owned by your own logic.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 18:471 edit
    Likewise. You can't prove I put words in Paul's mouth, and there's no need for me prove anything to you.

You've been owned by your own logic.
    So if you can't prove that God doesn't exist we should just assume that he does? Nice. Prove that God doesn't exist.
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 18:55
    So if you can't prove that God doesn't exist we should just assume that he does? Nice. Prove that God doesn't exist.
    I didn't make a claim that God doesn't exist. You made a claim that I misquoted Paul.

See the difference? You make a claim, you must prove it. Got it, child molester?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree