1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 18:56
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    There is no such thing as absolute freedom.
    This is not about absolute freedom, it's about free will.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 19:15
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    This is not about absolute freedom, it's about free will.
    If we have free will, we can choose either to obey or disobey God. If we have no free will we can't make decisions.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 19:34
    If we have free will, we can choose either to obey or disobey God. If we have no free will we can't make decisions.
    Correct. IF...
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 19:48
    So from the second of these assertions, the feeling that we do make decisions is an illusion to be explained, if there is no free will.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 20:21
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Numbers 23:19

19 God is not human, that he should lie,
    not a human being, that he should change his mind.

1 Samuel 2:30

“Therefore the Lord, the God of Israel, declares: ‘I promised that members of your family would minister before me forever.’ But now the Lord declares: ‘Far be it from me!

“Perhaps they will listen and each ...[text shortened]... cerning the calamity that I intend to bring on them because of their evil deeds.”—Jeremiah 26:3.
    The first verse God seems to be saying that the family line will be ministers to him, but certain ones it seems will not be. I don't see the contradiction.

In the second example, God laid out for Moses what exactly the Children of Israel would do and how they would fall away. He knew from the get go. God is simply reiterating what it takes for man to reconcile with him and what he knows will eventually come to fruition.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 20:23
    Originally posted by @vivify
    The bible doesn't say that. You're adding adding to the bible, a big no-no according biblical doctrine. It's also erroneous, since Paul makes it clear that human decisions plays no part in who God chooses to be saved.

the bible says that some people were created for wrath. Obviously, that means God explicitly created people to go hell; he had no intention of letting them choose salvation.
    Again, God knew that there would be those who would reject him. To say otherwise would be to say that we have free will with no one ever rejecting him. Would that really be free will? No.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 20:29
    Originally posted by @whodey
    The first verse God seems to be saying that the family line will be ministers to him, but certain ones it seems will not be. I don't see the contradiction.
    The very next verse:

31 The time is coming when I will cut short your strength and the strength of your priestly house, so that no one in it will reach old age

Saying "no one" in that house "will reach old age" is clearly a threat of death---for everyone, not just "certain ones".

In the second example, God laid out for Moses what exactly the Children of Israel would do and how they would fall away. He knew from the get go. God is simply reiterating what it takes for man to reconcile with him and what he knows will eventually come to fruition.

And God is still explicitly saying he'll change his mind under certain conditions.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 22:43
    FMF: You cited me in your OP. Why not quote the piece on love and choice that you were referring to?

Did you not say that you do not have the choice to love or not love someone?
    Just quote the piece by me on love and choice that you were referring to
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 22:55
    Let us get the elephant out of the way. You speak about God as if it were a fact of reality. But it is just a made up thing in your head, with no factual basis whatsoever.

So you sound totally stupid. Have you even researched this subject, of course you did not.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 23:10
    Again, God knew that there would be those who would reject him. To say otherwise would be to say that we have free will with no one ever rejecting him. Would that really be free will? No.
    That is an interesting issue. Despite yourself.

Foreknowledge of events yet to happen is mysterious. If you KNOW my choice, did I have one?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 23:101 edit
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Let us get the elephant out of the way. You speak about God as if it were a fact of reality. But it is just a made up thing in your head, with no factual basis whatsoever.

So you sound totally stupid. Have you even researched this subject, of course you did not.
    You make it sound like God does not exist and this is just some made up thing in your head. You just sound stupid.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 23:12
    Where in the Bible say that God just knew and did not create things to do what they do?
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 23:26
    Originally posted by @eladar
    You make it sound like God does not exist and this is just some made up thing in your head. You just sound stupid.
    I'm sorry your are hurt. But don't you ask yourself why you reject shiva, who made everything? And then broke it.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 23:31
    I'm sorry your are hurt. But don't you ask yourself why you reject shiva, who made everything? And then broke it.
    I am not hurt. I am just stating a fact.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 Sep '17 18:56

To me God is a reality. I'm sorry if this sounds totally stupid to you. If you feel that you have in fact researched this subject feel free to enlighten me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree