1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 15:36
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]===========================
    Clearly Scriabins origonal blurb on bhuddism sought to highlight the differences between bhuddist thought and fundamentalist christian thought. His points were well made even if they were somewhat exclusive.
    =====================================

Really?

What were these differences that he highlighted ? ...[text shortened]... y the renewing of the mind that you may prove what the will of God is ..." (Romans 12:2)[/b][/b]
    Oh man...Geez!
    He was going on and on about 'salvation' being up to the individual and how no god or angels will intervene or even exist,etc.
    It seemed to me most points he made pointed to the fact that bhuddism places no importance on outside agencies, as opposed to Chistianity which seems to go on and on about 'finding salvation in Christ',etc.
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 17:10
    What was your koan for today visted ?
    Hi Jaywill.

I guess I'll take blackbeetle's. πŸ™‚
  3. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 02:54
    [b]============================
    Imagine believing in human beings endowed with supernatural powers relating to a being that created a universe far more complex and vast than any the true believers can comprehend -- yet they know "the truth" because they can quote it from a book written by human beings. Priceless.
    ================================= ...[text shortened]... alled Buddhism. In the West they may refer to it as "Christian Science".
    Gack -- Christian Science is totally based on faith, belief, it is in no way comparable.

Good grief, now I recall why I don’t like to come to this forum – a time vampire.

You say: “a book written by people superintended and inspired by God.”

That’s not something that can be confirmed empirically – I’d have to take some human being’s word for it. And I won’t, without adequate evidence.

What is your evidence?

You say: “It is your adherence to the central concepts that would mean to me that you are a Buddhist”

Again, your viewpoint is skewed by belief – you hide from the world of reality and take refuge in the imaginary world of your imaginary friend(s) [a trinity of them?] I do not practice Buddhism. I meditate according to the lessons of a certain Southeast Asian form of Buddhism. I seek to be more aware of the present moment, of what is happening as it happens -- without the filter of my thoughts or beliefs.

This meditation technique has given me strength and the ability to cope with stress, grief, and physical pain. It isn’t magic. It isn’t supernatural. It is training using our minds. The results in the brain can be medically measured, confirmed empirically. It is real, not given to me by belief in or the word of another human being or some old book. It is like exercising your biceps.

You say “Seems you agree now.” Not even close. You are putting up a strawman here. I “hooted you down” for the simplistic, stereotypical, 4th grade description of Buddhism you provided – totally inadequate and showing that you simply have no knowledge about that which you wrote.

You say: “Anyway your techniques are based also on beliefs.”

Again, you make assumptions without evidence. I was clear enough. I had a gall bladder attack – I sat there in rather significant pain for 6 hours and was quite able to do so without resorting to the drugs I had ready to hand. Nor did I call for medics to take me to a hospital. Why? This was the 2nd such attack I had had. So I knew what it was, that it would not kill me, that a hospital visit would not help other than to put more drugs into me and have yet another doctor charge a lot of money and then tell me it was too soon after my last surgery to take the gall bladder out. So I knew it was ok to sit there for 6 hours, from a medical standpoint. All I had to do was cope with severe pain for about 6 hours. The technique I used is simple and direct, not based on beliefs, but their opposite. What am I facing? Pain. Do I need to fear it, fear injury from it, or take medication to prevent some permanent damage to my body? What is the reality of the situation and can I accept it, say yes to it, despite its discomfort, or should I hide out of irrational fear, hide from discomfort, say no to the reality of the situation and take drugs that I know cause me terrible dreams and other side effects? I chose to say yes to reality, to what was, and reject my fear. I sat and made the pain the focus of my meditation. For 6 hours. I was and am stronger than it was and is. I did not need to hide, to run from it. My threshold for pain has been increased significantly since I began meditation.

The entire point of meditation in the Vipassana tradition is to gain insight and awareness of what is happening as it happens, to free one’s self from the interference of thoughts and beliefs. It is to clear one’s mind of interpretations about what is the case and merely to become aware of that which is the case.

Is that clear enough for you?
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 03:39
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    Gack -- Christian Science is totally based on faith, belief, it is in no way comparable.

Good grief, now I recall why I don’t like to come to this forum – a time vampire.

That’s not something that can be confirmed empirically – I’d have to take some human being’s word for it. An ...[text shortened]... the case and merely to become aware of that which is the case.

its clear enough for me,(even from your previous post), .
    Thanks for sharing something of your personal pains.
    If nothing else it has helped meπŸ˜‰
  5. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 08:451 edit
    thanks for a bit of sanity.

I think of religions as institutionalized forms of irrationality.

Imagine believing in human beings endowed with supernatural powers relating to a being that created a universe far more complex and vast than any the true believers can comprehend -- yet they know "the truth" because they can quote it from a book written by h espouse.

And I'm not aware of any congregation of Apatheists anywhere nearby ...
    Have you read any books on NLP (neurolinguistic programming)? It seems to me it is the modern application of buddhism to the world we live in. I think you would like it.
  6. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 16:49
    Originally posted by twiceaknight
    Have you read any books on NLP (neurolinguistic programming)? It seems to me it is the modern application of buddhism to the world we live in. I think you would like it.
    no, make a recommendation.

soon, some technological help is on the way to help train the brain.

we now can use fairly cheap, simple sensors you wear on your forehead to pick up the frequency of your brain waves. a toy is coming out dressed up as a Star Wars "Force Trainer." It will consist of a vertical plastic tube sitting on a small air pump. In the tube will be a ping pong ball. The task is to put the headset on and use "the Force" to turn on the pump and keep it on until the ball reaches the top of the tube.

it is thought that we will see this technology develop into a way to help people pay attention, concentrate better, and do what I have done with chronic pain. also, a much more advanced use will be for amputees to control artificial limbs using only their minds.

the next toy after the air pump is said to be a mylar helium baloon made up as a blimp where the user controls its flight only with their brain waves, and not with a joystick.

I know the Star Wars theme will work to market this idea. Just think of how they can make up a new kind of tabletop baseball game: why I think I'll write to Mattel and suggest they let Chewbaca be the batter. I bet he'd make Wookie of the year. ...
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 18:43

That’s not something that can be confirmed empirically – I’d have to take some human being’s word for it. An ...[text shortened]... the case and merely to become aware of that which is the case.

============================
    ==============================

The other is also.

What they have in common is that they are both about utilizing the powers of the mind and of the soul.

Why this should be done is based on things believed about the nature of life and the world.

The differences may lie there between Christian Science and Buddhism.

Beyond that they are both considered by me "science of the soul" kinds of beliefs:

"We are going to teach you how to unleash this hidden or latent power that is within you."
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 18:491 edit
    Furthermore, I do believe that both Buddhism and Christian Science start from the premise that things are not what they seem.

"There is no real sickness" That is a kind of illusion.

Buddhism also says the world you see is an illusion.

Both kind of say "Get with the real situation. Don't be fooled by appearances."

The nature of the world may be different in the two systems. Both beliefs say this world is deceptively real and not really real.

Christrian Science is mostly occupied with obtaining healing in your body.

Buddhism probably is more extensive in its attempt to set you right with reality.

Both say "You've got the goods right there with you. We're going to teach you how to unleash these goods."
  9. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 19:07
    [b]============================

The other is also.

What they have in common is that they are both about utilizing the powers of the mind and of the soul.

Why this should be done is based on things believed about ...[text shortened]...
    "We are going to teach you how to unleash this hidden or latent power that is within you."[/b]
    you are an ignorant person.

you fail repeatedly to understand the plain meaning of words presented to you.

no wonder you take refuge in the words of others so you can relieve yourself of the burden of coping with the real world, for you are not very good at it.

training the brain is not based on the "soul." It is not based on unverified or unverifiable beliefs. it is not based on some hidden power -- again you fall into superstition.

it is simple. plain. in the here and now. just like going to the gym, you can use your brain in ways you did not know about only because you never got the lesson. some people can read music, some cannot.

it isn't a matter of faith or belief. it is a matter of education, training, and practice.

so it is with meditation and the eventual control of functions over which most people do not ever attempt to exercise voluntary control.

what you consider and what is the case are very different things.

you are not in touch with that which is the case -- you are dwelling within the ambit of your own thoughts, which have no existence independent of and outside of your own mind. Thoughts and beliefs are not reality -- they are just thoughts.

perhaps it is time for you to understand, finally, the difference.
  10. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 19:11
    Furthermore, I do believe that both Buddhism and Christian Science start from the premise that things are not what they seem.

"There is no real sickness" That is a kind of illusion.

Buddhism also says the world you see is an illusion.

Both kind of say "Get with the real situation. Don't be fooled by appearances."

The nature of the world may ...[text shortened]... t the goods right there with you. We're going to teach you how to unleash these goods."
    again with the superstitious assumptions that have no basis in fact.

you labor under so many beliefs and assumptions and are so completely averse to verifying anything empirically or using scholarship, or whatever method might satisfy disinterested parties.

you defend your crackpot viewpoint with the desperation of the ignorant.

you fool yourself -- what is real in the world outside your head is indeed no illusion.

the illusion is in your mind: you believe rather than base what you see, hear and interpret on that which is the case.

you filter everything and it comes out distorted, incorrect, and downright foolish.

I'm surprised you can even feed yourself.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 19:265 edits
    you are an ignorant person.

you fail repeatedly to understand the plain meaning of words presented to you.

no wonder you take refuge in the words of others so you can relieve yourself of the burden of coping with the real world, for you are not very good at it.

training the brain is not based on the "soul." It is not based on unverified or unverif they are just thoughts.

perhaps it is time for you to understand, finally, the difference.
    So you want to sling insults around huh? Not persuasive of a good argument to me.

Excuse me ignoramous, but I practiced Zen Buddhism for awhile.

training the brain is not based on the "soul."
    =================================

For a lot of people, and a great many people the mind (in the brain or strongly associated with the brain) is part of the soul.

Next ?

====================================
    It is not based on unverified or unverifiable beliefs. it is not based on some hidden power -- again you fall into superstition.
    =========================================

Power may be a misnomer.

However, the ability is there within you. You need the training to uitilize it.

You need to focus to "still the mind". In the Buddhism I practiced it was more to quiet the mind down rather than to stir it up.

Either way, the ability is unused and needs training to utlize.

Next time you contradict me on this I won't argue. I will just quote you some Buddhist teachers,

Try me.

=======================================
    it is simple. plain. in the here and now. just like going to the gym,
    ==================================

"Its hear and now, its like going the gym here and now"

Big fat hairy deal! What's so unique about that? Prayer to God is "here and now" and just as much like going to the gym.

Praise to God is "here and now". You're intoxicated with false sense of the uniqueness of your methods.

=====================================
    you can use your brain in ways you did not know about only because you never got the lesson. some people can read music, some cannot.
    ==================================

Now you're saying what I said. Only difference is I used the term "mind" and you use the term "brain".

I said "You have the goods and you need to be taught to access them to make them effective."

You're saying basically the same thing.

==========================
    it isn't a matter of faith or belief. it is a matter of education, training, and practice.
    =======================================

If you are talking about Buddhism it is too a belief.

There is no way that you are going to live in this dream world that Buddhism is not a belief or even a faith.

Beliefs and faiths can also have education, training, and practice.

Even if you are talking about some techniques borrowed from Buddhism you still have a belief that this or that technique will do this or that for you.

Even a vegetarian has a belief. Cut with the "Too good to have a belief" crap.

I have better things to do tonight.
  12. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 20:43
    So you want to sling insults around huh? Not persuasive of a good argument to me.

Excuse me ignoramous, but I practiced Zen Buddhism for awhile.

[b]==============================
    training the brain is not based on the "soul."
    =================================

For a lot of people, and a great many people the mind (in the brain ...[text shortened]... o good to have a belief" crap.

I have better things to do tonight.[/b]
    you have better things to do?

good to hear

as per usual you have such a fragile ego that you must be right in the absolute sense -- hence your reliance and insistence on being in the know with respect to the absolute truth of things.

why are so many people on the internet afflicted in this same way?

the problem as I see it is that nothing that exists outside of the little made-up world of delusions you mistake for reality can penetrate and thus discourse with you is futile.

you never mastered Buddhism, for however long you "practiced" it, you got it wrong.

You simply do not know how to distinguish what goes on only in your own head from that which goes on outside of it. Your solipsistic point of view makes for a very boring conversation -- pls continue it with yourself.

As you say, you've better things to do than be open to that which is the case outside your head.
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 22:00

good to hear

as per usual you have such a fragile ego that you must be right in the absolute sense -- hence your reliance and insistence on being in the know with respect to the absolute truth of things.

the problem as I see it is that nothing that e ...[text shortened]... you say, you've better things to do than be open to that which is the case outside your head.
    Ah Buddhism , Sooo much more unsuperstitious then those funny Christian types. Its too good to be called a belief ya know ?

"The indefatigable and always interesting Rev. Danny Fisher points us to an AP article in which it’s reported that Thai high school students on a school trip to a Buddhist meditation center were asked to lie in coffins primed with the stink of rotting flesh and to share a cage with several pythons. The point, apparently, was to “develop strength of mind.”
  14. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 11:071 edit
    no, make a recommendation.

soon, some technological help is on the way to help train the brain.

we now can use fairly cheap, simple sensors you wear on your forehead to pick up the frequency of your brain waves. a toy is coming out dressed up as a Star Wars "Force Trainer." It will consist of a vertical plastic tube sitting on a small air pump. In the attel and suggest they let Chewbaca be the batter. I bet he'd make Wookie of the year. ...
    I wouldn't like to make a specific recommendation because i am no expert on the different books, they all have good points and bad, the same as most things in life. Any book title along the lines of introduction to NLP or NLP for dummies/beginners should be ok to give you an idea of what it's all about.

or just google NLP. Just a word of warning before you start... this is powerful stuff and should be approached with caution. it is similar to hypnosis, but i think you would appreciate it's pragmatism judging by your first post, which reminded me of something they call 'reframing'.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 13:20

good to hear

the problem as I see it is that nothing that e ...[text shortened]... you say, you've better things to do than be open to that which is the case outside your head.
    =========================
    ==========================================

As per usual you deflect the issue of your misinformation into a talk about the egos of those who don't buy it.

the problem as I see it is that nothing that exists outside of the little made-up world of delusions you mistake for reality can penetrate and thus discourse with you is futile.
    ===============================

Tell us more about how Buddhism is too high to be called a belief.

===============================
    you never mastered Buddhism, for however long you "practiced" it, you got it wrong.

Never said I mastered it.

You however are an expert on all things Christian ?

You simply do not know how to distinguish what goes on only in your own head from that which goes on outside of it. Your solipsistic point of view makes for a very boring conversation -- pls continue it with yourself.
    ================================

Who would ever dare to argue with someone who uses a phrase like "solipsistic view" ?

Tell us more about how Buddhism reqiures no sense of allegiance to any higher authority and how it is too good to be termed a belief.

=========================
    As you say, you've better things to do than be open to that which is the case outside your head.
    =============================

As stated before, I had a period if intense interest in Zen Buddhism. I never said I mastered it. I came very close to deciding to move to Japan to study Zen in earnest.

No need to argue about it. You weren't there and are rather smug in your confidence that you only grasp Buddhism.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree