From the Law to Grace

From the Law to Grace

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
23 Nov 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @dj2becker
You have never answered this question and until you do don't expect me to answer yours.
We discussed laws and morals in depth. You are trolling. If this question about the morality of killing gays, then and now, and whether there has been a change in what is deemed moral and what is not deemed moral, is quite simply one you are not going to address, then just front up and say you're not going to answer.

Moves
23 Nov 17

Originally posted by @fmf
We discussed laws and morals in depth. You are trolling. If this question about the morality of killing gays, then and now, and whether there has been a change in what is deemed moral and what is not deemed moral, then just front up and say you're not going to answer.
You have never answered this question: "If the laws of a society don't determine what is morally sound behavior for that society, then what does?"

Just front up and say you're not going to answer.

F

Moves
23 Nov 17

You have never answered this question: "If the laws of a society don't determine what is morally sound behavior for that society, then what does?"

We have talked about the links and the differences between a society's laws and the moral codes of its citizens already. You are pretending that we haven't.

F

Moves
23 Nov 17

You already exactly what my stance on laws and morals is. Here's the question for you that you are dodging: Killing homosexuals was once morally sound - yes or no? Killing homosexuals is still morally sound - yes or no? My answers are no, and no. You?

Moves
23 Nov 17

We have talked about the links and the differences between a society's laws and the moral codes of its citizens already. You are pretending that we haven't.
Talking about the links and the differences between a society's laws and the moral codes of its citizens does not answer the question I asked.

Moves
23 Nov 17

You already exactly what my stance on laws and morals is. Here's the question for you that you are dodging: Killing homosexuals was once morally sound - yes or no? Killing homosexuals is still morally sound - yes or no? My answers are no, and no. You?
Your stance on laws and morals doesn't answer the question I asked you.

F

Moves
23 Nov 17

Your stance on laws and morals doesn't answer the question I asked you.
Of course it does. You are only asking me about it in order to bail out of this conversation.

Moves
23 Nov 17
2 edits

Of course it does. You are only asking me about it in order to bail out of this conversation.
You said you don't believe in moral absolutes so there is no single correct answer to the questions you ask, so why bother asking them if everyone's answer is 'right'?

F

Moves
23 Nov 17

Talking about the links and the differences between a society's laws and the moral codes of its citizens does not answer the question I asked.
Go back and look at our discussion about a society's laws and its morals. You will find that your answer is there.

Is this it? Are you not going to tell me what your own moral stance is on killing gays, then and now? No statement of belief? Just evasive counter-questions?

F

Moves
23 Nov 17

You said you don't believe in moral absolutes so there is no single correct answer to the questions you ask, so why bother asking them if everyone's answer is 'right'?
I am asking you to say what your moral stance is on people executing homosexuals in the past and whether you think it is morally sound now.

Moves
23 Nov 17

Go back and look at our discussion about a society's laws and its morals. You will find that your answer is there.

Is this it? Are you not going to tell me what your own moral stance is on killing gays, then and now? No statement of belief? Just evasive counter-questions?
Anyone can play your games.

Moves
23 Nov 17

I am asking you to say what your moral stance is on people executing homosexuals in the past and whether you think it is morally sound now.

F

Moves
23 Nov 17

Anyone can play your games.

Do I think killing homosexuals was once morally sound? No, I don't. Do I think killing homosexuals is still morally sound or could be morally sound? No, I don't. One wonders whether it is an effect of your subscription to the Bible that has made you unable to talk unequivocally about morality as it pertains to killing homosexuals.

Moves
23 Nov 17
1 edit

Do I think killing homosexuals was once morally sound? No, I don't. Do I think killing homosexuals is still morally sound or could be morally sound? No, I don't. One wonders whether it is an effect of your subscription to the Bible that has made you unable to talk unequivocally about morality as it pertains to killing homosexuals.
Morally sound for whom? Everyone or only you?

F

Moves
23 Nov 17

Morally sound for whom? Everyone or you?
For me, who else? One can only take moral responsibility for oneself, and for one's children while they are being raised, and for what laws with a moral dimension that one supports and which therefore affect others. You yourself have said, only recently, that you would not want to impose your morality on others. So,, on some level, you do realize that morality is a personal code that each individual moral agent has. It remains odd that you cannot be morally clear about the execution of homosexuals, whether it be now (where it continues to happen) or in the past.