1. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    09 May '05 12:27
    What would God say?

He would say, "That's thooper! Let's go shopping for glitter laden togas and really do this Greek style!"
  2. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    09 May '05 12:381 edit
    I really think this thread has lost the plot!

Of course a Christian does not have to condone or approve every action of every other Christian, or every other man. Not judging others when what they do is considered to be wrong is Christian. So, anyone who has strayed from the path of what is morally right is then supported and helped back onto the right path.

As to what is morally right, this one is always on the boiler. Our western society, which has developed from Christianity, has given us our morality. Three minutes ago, a portion of secularised society decides that anything goes. Does that mean our morals should suddenly change? I doubt that trying to follow social trends is a wise course for the Faith.

But while we're on it, why doesn't anyone get on to bothering the Orthodox about homosexual marriage, etc.? See what they tell you. Or the Mohammedans, or the Jews, for that matter. The monotheistic faiths have a similar attitude to the subject, so nagging them might be worth your while. Or would that be politically incorrect? That really would be unfortunate!!
    :'(
  3. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    09 May '05 13:001 edit
    Originally posted by sjeg
    I really think this thread has lost the plot!
    Who is responsible for that?

-- enquires demonseed sporting a rather fetching glitter-laden toga --
  4. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    09 May '05 13:03
    I hope you have the legs to carry that off.
  5. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    09 May '05 13:25
    I hope you have the legs to carry that off.
    I don't really. They have an Irish tan; and am genetically hairy to cope with the Irish weather as you know being a Dubliner and all, (I mean about the weather of course, not my hairy legs.)

-- Enter the Fairy Godmother (this is not a command) brandishing some leg wax, and mahogany wood stain. --

"Hurrah, I shall go to the gay wedding" said demonseed, elated, feeling fabulous and thooper.
  6. London
    Moves
    09 May '05 14:01
    [b]I really think this thread has lost the plot!

Of course a Christian does not have to condone or approve every action of every other Christian, or every other man. Not judging others when what they do is considered to be wrong is Christian. So, anyone who has strayed from the path of what is morally right is then supported and helped back onto the righ ...[text shortened]... while. Or would that be politically incorrect? That really would be unfortunate!!
    :'([/b]
    The obvious follow-up question would be - what does it mean to "judge" others? If you say that a particular act is right/wrong, aren't you effectively judging (as the word is used in normal parlance) those who commit the act? Or does the word "judge" mean something else in a Christian context?
  7. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    09 May '05 14:211 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    The obvious follow-up question would be - what does it mean to "judge" others? If you say that a particular act is right/wrong, aren't you effectively judging (as the word is used in normal parlance) those who commit the act? Or does the word "judge" mean something else in a Christian context?
    Good question, L.H. I'll attempt a garbled answer.

I meant not thinking ill of a person, or looking down upon them for their sins, and not judging them in that sense. Deciding what is morally wrong/right is judgment of the actions of man, but not of the individual men who commit those actions. I would suggest that there is a moral code which we follow, or do not follow. But it is for man to follow this code himself, and not condemn others for failing to do so. Judging your fellow man implies deeming him a sinner, and condemning him as a morally corrupt character, and importantly as someone morally WORSE than oneself. Which, of course, wouldn't score too highly on the charity stakes, which are rather important on the old cardinal virtues stakes.

Is that fair?

P.S. Mmm, steaks.😛
  8. London
    Moves
    09 May '05 16:19
    Originally posted by bbarr
    I'm not a Buddhist, so what's the problem? Anyway, I'm sure that the Buddha (like all right thinking people) would agree that there are pernicious falsehoods in the Bible. Whatever the case, Zen Buddhism does not prohibit homosexual relationships, and I am unaware of any aspect of Zen that would entail that same-sex couples ought not have the same rights and protections of heteroxexual couples. Bigotry is very un-Zen.
    What is the Zen view of murder?
  9. London
    Moves
    09 May '05 16:24
    Good question, L.H. I'll attempt a garbled answer.

I meant not thinking ill of a person, or looking down upon them for their sins, and not judging them in that sense. Deciding what is morally wrong/right is judgment of the actions of man, but not of the individual men who commit those actions. I would suggest that there is a moral code which we follow, or ...[text shortened]... e rather important on the old cardinal virtues stakes.

Is that fair?

P.S. Mmm, steaks.😛
    I agree with your views. One more aspect to "judgment" in a Christian context - "judgment" is also the term used to denote the process by which a person goes to Heaven or Hell. In saying that we are not to judge others, I believe the Bible also makes the point that we cannot say who is going to Hell - only God knows that. Hence, we cannot condemn a particular person and say, "You are definitely going to Hell".
  10. Bible Basher HQ
    Moves
    09 May '05 16:241 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    09 May '05 18:45
    Originally posted by joseph1986
    the old testiment of the bible makes it very clear about the rules of homosexuality, adultery, bestiality and incest. i think in general you should be put to death for these things. however the rules by which someone can be put to death are very complicated, and in history, it was very rare for someone to actually be put to death for committing acts such as these, once every 30 years or so.
    So should we, as dutiful bible-readers, strive to eliminate all that legal red tape, and send those flaming queens to the flaming quagmire, where they truly belong?
  12. London
    Moves
    09 May '05 18:461 edit
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    So should we, as dutiful bible-readers, strive to eliminate all that legal red tape, and send those flaming queens to the flaming quagmire, where they truly belong?
    We would, if it weren't for that "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" line from Jesus. Brilliant, that. 😀
  13. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    09 May '05 18:57
    We would, if it weren't for that "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" line from Jesus. Brilliant, that. 😀
    With that, Mary flings a pebble at Jesus. "Only joking, son!" she quips...
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 May '05 18:59
    What is the Zen view of murder?
    You consider two human beings in a loving relationship's desire to have the same legal rights and obligations as others in the same situation as morally equivalent to murder?
  15. London
    Moves
    09 May '05 19:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You consider two human beings in a loving relationship's desire to have the same legal rights and obligations as others in the same situation as morally equivalent to murder?
    My comment is a response to Bennett's statement that "Bigotry is very un-Zen". Bigotry is an intolerance of differing views. I was merely wondering how Zen approaches those who consider murder justified and/or desirable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree