1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 07:42
    An example of what can happen when religion and politics mix.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21472004

A Conservative minister says that gay couples cannot provide a warm and safe environment for children. Then (presumably after an adviser has warned him of the career limiting nature of his comments) backtracks and says he is not against gay people adopting. Notice he didn't retract the statement about a warm and safe environment.

I wonder if he realises that he has just said that adoption should be open to people who cannot provide a warm and safe environment for their children. I would have thought that was pretty a minimum requirement. I always wonder about people who think that homosexuals are, by their nature, in some way a danger to children also claim they are not being homophobic. I must be using a different dictionary.

It would be quite funny if it wasn't so serious.

So, three questions:

1 Does anyone agree that gay couples can't provide a warm and safe environment for children?

2 Should gay parents be allowed to adopt?

3 If there were two couples with otherwise equal credentials to adopt, would it be legitimate to favour the heterosexual couple over the homosexual couple?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 10:25
    Originally posted by Rank outsider

A Conservative minister says that gay couples cannot provide a warm and safe environment for children. Then (presumably after an adviser has warned him of the career limiting nature of his comments) backtracks and says he is not against g ...[text shortened]... o adopt, would it be legitimate to favour the heterosexual couple over the homosexual couple?
    If the parents truly love the child(ren) then there will be no problems.
    I think gay people should consider how they and their child might look-espeically if they are the only ones on the block... what I mean is that at times with gay r'ships a certain amount of discretion is needed. But then again the world is changing so fast that as long as the child is happy we should probably move on to more important issues. So ...

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. No.
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 10:561 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    If the parents truly love the child(ren) then there will be no problems.
    I think gay people should consider how they and their child might look-espeically if they are the only ones on the block... what I mean is that at times with gay r'ships a certain amount of discretion is needed. But then again the world is changing so fast that as long as the chi ...[text shortened]... appy we should probably move on to more important issues. So ...

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. No.
    I think you raise an interesting point.

If a gay couple wanted to adopt, and they lived in a community which was openly and perhaps even violently homophobic, would it be legitimate for the authorities to take this into account?

As my overriding concern would be for the welfare of the child, I don't see how we could discount the possibility that this would be a relevant factor. But, of course, the revelant factor is not that the couple is gay, but rather that they would be bringing up a child in a place where they might not be safe.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 11:14
    What about single parents? Should we be allowed to adopt too?
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 13:31

A Conservative minister says that gay couples cannot provide a warm and safe environment for children. Then (presumably after an adviser has warned him of the career limiting nature of his comments) backtracks and says he is not against g ...[text shortened]... o adopt, would it be legitimate to favour the heterosexual couple over the homosexual couple?
    1: No.

2: Yes.

3: No.

That was easy.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 13:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What about single parents? Should we be allowed to adopt too?
    Yes... Although all things being equal (but when does that ever happen) I would favour a couple over a single parent.

However given a shortage of willing adoptive parents...
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 15:26
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Yes... Although all things being equal (but when does that ever happen) I would favour a couple over a single parent.

However given a shortage of willing adoptive parents...
    Why would you favour a couple over a single person?
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 15:40
    Why would you favour a couple over a single person?
    Because bring up kids properly is hard and time consuming, and two loving parents have each other
    to support one another and share the workload.

There is also quite a bit of evidence showing that, statistically speaking, having two parents is better
    than having one.

As I said it's one of these "all things being equal" situations.

Having one loving parent is infinitely to be preferred to having none.

But having two loving parents is better than having one.
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 15:501 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Because bring up kids properly is hard and time consuming, and two loving parents have each other
    to support one another and share the workload.

There is also quite a bit of evidence showing that, statistically speaking, having two parents is better
    than having one.

As I said it's one of these "all things being equal" situations.

Having one ...[text shortened]... y to be preferred to having none.

But having two loving parents is better than having one.
    Given there are 4000 kids waiting to be adopted in the UK, as you say these type of distinctions are not likely to be a practical issue.

I seem to have created the least controversial thread in the history of the Spirituality Forum.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 16:00
    Given there are 4000 kids waiting to be adopted in the UK, as you say these type of distinctions are not likely to be a practical issue.

I seem to have created the least controversial thread in the history of the Spirituality Forum.
    Patience my young padawan... I am sure someone will turn up to object eventually.

;p
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 16:31

1. Yes

2. No

3. Yes

😏
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 18:19
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    1. Yes

2. No

3. Yes

😏
    OK, let's take this step by step.

Do you think your gay son could never provide a warm and safe environment for a child to grow up in?
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 19:59

wait until the j.w. circus comes rolling into town and pitch their big top of 'homophobic' fun, followed by the freak show of rj and maybe dasa if you are lucky.
  14. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 20:02
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    wait until the j.w. circus comes rolling into town and pitch their big top of 'homophobic' fun, followed by the freak show of rj and maybe dasa if you are lucky.
    I think Robbie has dispensed with the forum for a while.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Feb '13 20:10
    OK, let's take this step by step.

Do you think your gay son could never provide a warm and safe environment for a child to grow up in?
    Let's not get personal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree