1. Donationbvb
    Callisto Fan
    Iowa
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 05:48
    That's my point. It should be exclusively sponsored by churches.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 06:03
    Originally posted by bvb
    Why?
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 12:32
    Originally posted by bvb
    Nonsense. My wife and I were married in the Michigan League on the U of M campus by a retired judge. No priest. No church. And we are fully and legally married. It should be noted that when the officiant pronounces you man and wife, it is through the power granted them by the State of Michigan (or wherever you live) and not through the grace of god.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 12:49
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Nonsense. My wife and I were married in the Michigan League on the U of M campus by a retired judge. No priest. No church. And we are fully and legally married. It should be noted that when the officiant pronounces you man and wife, it is through the power granted them by the State of Michigan (or wherever you live) and not through the grace of god.
    I would tend to say that the state may have the "power" to give one a "union card" that says one is "married." But I don't think the state has the power to give anyone a "blessed union." That comes from somewhere else.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 12:511 edit
    Originally posted by bvb
    They have failed miserably at it. Church weddings are often an exercise in immaturity with controlling mother-n-laws serving as the relational mafia.

Furthermore, I am not officiating at anymore weddings until gay marriage is legalized. So there's another reason to go to the courthouse.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 13:11
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I would tend to say that the state may have the "power" to give one a "union card" that says one is "married." But I don't think the state has the power to give anyone a "blessed union." That comes from somewhere else.
    I don't want to be blessed.

The state has all the power to marry people, not the church. The priest is merely the means by which the state usually delegates it's power.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 13:35
    Originally posted by amannion
    And so?
    I still don't get your point about atheists not being able to (or shouldn't be able to) marry ...
    amannion -

Man, you've gotta keep an eye out for people pulling your leg around here.
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 14:001 edit
    Originally posted by amannion
    And so?
    I still don't get your point about atheists not being able to (or shouldn't be able to) marry ...
    See my post on the page 2 back from this one and also Nord's response to it on the previous page.

Edit: Or just look at Nord's post above this one.
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 14:03
    Originally posted by bvb
    Wow! It's pretty cool that a lot of people responded to this.

For the record I am an advocate of gay civil unions. However I also think that all religions have a constitutional right to include or exclude people from their rituals. It seems to me that it is the church that should define the rules for marriage.

Therefore, the state should grant civil unions ...[text shortened]... igious community where they feel accepted. In my church they are accepted and allowed to marry.
    There are churches that marry gay couples. The US govt however will not recognize these marriages.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 14:05

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Meddling with things
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 14:58
    Originally posted by bvb
    Why is it that gays are not allowed to be married yet athiests and murderers are allowed to marry? It seems to me that Christians that condemn gay marriage need to explain why they are not marching in the streets against marriage of athiests and murderers as well.
    Why are christians allowed to marry. After all, marriage predates christianity and is therefore a pagan institution
  12. The sky
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 15:02
    Originally posted by 7ate9
    that's not his leg your pulling
    It's not me who's pulling.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 15:06
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Why are christians allowed to marry. After all, marriage predates christianity and is therefore a pagan institution
    Why are christians allowed to live. After all, life predates christianity and is therefore...uh...is therefore...oh, never mind.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 15:07

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. The Tao Temple
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 15:09
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Excellent point! Seems to be a christian tradition to hijack ideas and claim them as their own. Wintertime parties, virgin births, Easter....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree