10 Jun '06 16:29

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. The sky
    Moves
    10 Jun '06 16:411 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    789 -

Man, you've gotta keep an eye out for people pulling your leg around here. Nord, the faith whale, is always playing games like that.
    Whereas telerion, the True Xian, would never do that.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '06 16:42
    Originally posted by bvb
    Why is it that gays are not allowed to be married yet athiests and murderers are allowed to marry? It seems to me that Christians that condemn gay marriage need to explain why they are not marching in the streets against marriage of athiests and murderers as well.
    What is marriage according to Christian beliefs? You know that
    you will understand the answer to your question.
    Kelly
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 01:52
    Nope. I'm referring to the OP. Murderers and atheists are allowed to marry. Murderers should be allowed to marry. Atheists should not.
    Atheists should not?
    And why is that?

Marriage is about recognising the strength of a relationship, and helping to provide a loving couple for children to grow and develop under (although it doesn't always work that way of course).
    Why can't an atheist provide this, and be a part of this?

My question's entirely rhetorical of course, since I've been heppily married (as an atheist) for 15 years.
  5. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 01:53
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You poor sorry sack! Not only do you receive no rest at home (what with her constant praying for you and what not) but you can't even log on to a freaking chess site without hearing about this God that wants to bless you!

My heartfelt condolences, amannion. 😉
    Thanks Freaky.
    Appreciate your thoughts.
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 01:58
    Originally posted by amannion
    Atheists should not?
    And why is that?

Marriage is about recognising the strength of a relationship, and helping to provide a loving couple for children to grow and develop under (although it doesn't always work that way of course).
    Why can't an atheist provide this, and be a part of this?

My question's entirely rhetorical of course, since I've been heppily married (as an atheist) for 15 years.
    I've been married for 6 years.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 02:38
    I've been married for three weeks.
  8. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 02:54
    Originally posted by whodey
    You assume that gays are not allowed to marry merely because of us judgemental and close minded Christians. It is not merely a religious isuue. What you fail to recognize is, if you let gays marry what is next? Should polygomy be legalized? Should you be allowed to marry your dog? Then the government is then in a position to condon or condemn the union, ...[text shortened]... nion between a man and a woman. Perhaps the later union could be referred to as a civil union.
    You are deeply, and sadly, confused. The "slippery slope" argument doesn't work with gay marriage. It really doesn't work in any argument mainly because it can be used in every argument.

Let's clear this up. If gays are allowed to marry there will NOT suddenly be a rash of people wishing to marry their border collie or their favorite potted plant. Is there now a waiting line for that? No. So it's simple, consenting adults should be allowed to marry. Medical limits could be set, as they are now, such as not allowing brothers and sisters to marry, or fathers/daughters etc. But if people of age (18) consent to getting married then we should let them. It's really simple. There are two main issues - age and consent. That's it. The rest of it isn't my business or yours.

Your argument about the government receiving less money from taxes doesn't add up either. Who cares if the government receives less in taxes? I'm all for less money going to the govt. That sounds like a winning plan to me. Plus your argument assumes everyone that's gay is just itching to get married. Like they can barely contain themselves. That's not true. They're no different than straight people in that regard. Do you think everyone that's straight wants to get married? So there will be no mad rush of millions of gay people all getting hitched if gay marriages come to pass.

And the reason people blame this issue on Christians in the US is because they are the driving force behind this issue. Without them there is no issue. How many other groups do you see or read about that are fighting against gay marriage. So put the victim card back in the deck bro, that thing is played out.

Take the US christians out of this equation and the whole thing goes away.
  9. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 03:50
    I've been married for 6 years.
    And so?
    I still don't get your point about atheists not being able to (or shouldn't be able to) marry ...
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 04:21
    Originally posted by rwingett
    How is it? Are you still getting laid?
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 04:32
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Three weeks, congrats! I hope you have a wonderful life together!
    Kelly
  12. Cosmos
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 04:48
    Originally posted by wib
    You are deeply, and sadly, confused. The "slippery slope" argument doesn't work with gay marriage. It really doesn't work in any argument mainly because it can be used in every argument.

Let's clear this up. If gays are allowed to marry there will NOT suddenly be a rash of people wishing to marry their border collie or their favorite potted plant. Is the ...[text shortened]... .

Take the US christians out of this equation and the whole thing goes away.
    Thank God for you wib!

Of all the Yanks on these pages you are the only one who makes sense - always.

Hope you are going fine, I notice you are only playing one game these days - I let my membership lapse as I have been getting a bit bored with the whole thing.

Take care mate, Cheers.
  13. Donationbvb
    Callisto Fan
    Iowa
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 05:30
    Wow! It's pretty cool that a lot of people responded to this.

For the record I am an advocate of gay civil unions. However I also think that all religions have a constitutional right to include or exclude people from their rituals. It seems to me that it is the church that should define the rules for marriage.

Therefore, the state should grant civil unions to gay couples for their legal rights. Each church should be allowed to decide if it wants to sanction gay marriage. Homosexuals can then pick and chose what church they wish to attend in the same way that everyone else does. They can search for and hopefully find a religious community where they feel accepted. In my church they are accepted and allowed to marry.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 05:32

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 05:36
    Originally posted by bvb
    Wow! It's pretty cool that a lot of people responded to this.

For the record I am an advocate of gay civil unions. However I also think that all religions have a constitutional right to include or exclude people from their rituals. It seems to me that it is the church that should define the rules for marriage.

Therefore, the state should grant civil unions ...[text shortened]... igious community where they feel accepted. In my church they are accepted and allowed to marry.
    Marriage is not exclusively sponsored by churches.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree