1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    28 May '12 04:05
    Apparently lady Gaga has been told to go to hell by Muslims in Indonesia and threatening her with violence. Sure, they are a little Old Testament for my taste but hey, at least they seem to have taste. 😛

    So what was lady Gaga thinking? Should we only focus on the intolerant Muslims or perhaps the inconsiderate and culturally dim witted lady Gaga?
  2. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    28 May '12 04:24
    Originally posted by whodey
    Apparently lady Gaga has been told to go to hell by Muslims in Indonesia and threatening her with violence. Sure, they are a little Old Testament for my taste but hey, at least they seem to have taste. 😛

    So what was lady Gaga thinking? Should we only focus on the intolerant Muslims or perhaps the inconsiderate and culturally dim witted lady Gaga?
    The Muslim group at the centre of this is the F.P.I., with whom I have had some unpleasant contact myself. They are a bit like football hooligans. They sometimes manage to stop certain events from happening, and the police are sometimes unwilling to intervene, even if the event is legally allowed to go ahead. There are many Catholics and Protestants here who are socially conservative who have also voiced objections to Lady Gaga's proposed concert. Then again, there are more and more risque things happening on TV and in public, and - for example - effeminate/'gay' TV presenters are more or less old hat now. It'll be a few more years before Indonesia has its own Lady Gaga. A lot of people are pretty old fashioned, but most mainstream people under 30 probably couldn't care less about Ms Gaga. She certainly wouldn't have been allowed to perform in Jakarta in Soeharto's day, and his was not an Islamic government. Democracy here is only 14 years old; still very new.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    28 May '12 04:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    Apparently lady Gaga has been told to go to hell by Muslims in Indonesia and threatening her with violence. Sure, they are a little Old Testament for my taste but hey, at least they seem to have taste. 😛

    So what was lady Gaga thinking? Should we only focus on the intolerant Muslims or perhaps the inconsiderate and culturally dim witted lady Gaga?
    So your idea of good taste is the Mormon Tabernacle Choir? Any group that shouts hosanna's to god? Anything else is frivolous satan worship?
  4. Joined
    22 Dec '11
    Moves
    18468
    28 May '12 04:41
    Originally posted by whodey
    Apparently lady Gaga has been told to go to hell by Muslims in Indonesia and threatening her with violence. Sure, they are a little Old Testament for my taste but hey, at least they seem to have taste. 😛

    So what was lady Gaga thinking? Should we only focus on the intolerant Muslims or perhaps the inconsiderate and culturally dim witted lady Gaga?
    What exactly has she done to incur the wrath of fundamentalist muslims and americans, has she been showing her pants in public again, she is such a bad girl, or whatever.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    28 May '12 13:522 edits
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    What exactly has she done to incur the wrath of fundamentalist muslims and americans, has she been showing her pants in public again, she is such a bad girl, or whatever.
    Well, the number one problem is she is female and doesn't care if anyone knows that.

    Fundamentalist Muslims and indeed almost any other faith don't like women, who in their mind are good for one thing and one thing only.

    Take a look at what happens to women under fundie rule, like in Saudi, they are not even allowed to drive cars.

    In other fundie countries, if a woman gets raped, it's her fault.

    If they try to get redress, they get beaten.

    Yessir, fundamentalism at its best.

    They are the scourge of mankind, the worse that mankind has EVER produced.

    All in the name of Allah, Jesus, whatever. They are all alike, varying only in severity.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    28 May '12 21:141 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So your idea of good taste is the Mormon Tabernacle Choir? Any group that shouts hosanna's to god? Anything else is frivolous satan worship?
    Who cares what my tastes are? However, if you come to a nation of "whodeys" to do a concert, then perhaps you should take note.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    28 May '12 21:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    The Muslim group at the centre of this is the F.P.I., with whom I have had some unpleasant contact myself. They are a bit like football hooligans. They sometimes manage to stop certain events from happening, and the police are sometimes unwilling to intervene, even if the event is legally allowed to go ahead. There are many Catholics and Protestants here who ar ...[text shortened]... d his was not an Islamic government. Democracy here is only 14 years old; still very new.
    Perhaps the constant barrage of pushing the envolope, like it was done in the US, will change things. Then again, people in the US were much more tolerant than the hooligans you describe.
  8. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    28 May '12 21:201 edit
    She dresses and acts like a ho that's why.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18224783

    Police in Indonesia had refused to issue a permit for the US pop star after Islamic groups objected to her show, claiming it was too vulgar...

    The Islamist FPI had threatened violence if the concert went ahead, calling Lady Gaga a "devil's messenger" who wears only a "bra and panties".

    .......

    Her concert in South Korea in April was made an adults-only event following protests from Christian groups.

    Protests also took place in the Philippines, with Christian groups accusing her of being blasphemous.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91666
    28 May '12 22:54
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    She dresses and acts like a ho that's why.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18224783

    Police in Indonesia had refused to issue a permit for the US pop star after Islamic groups objected to her show, claiming it was too vulgar...

    The Islamist FPI had threatened violence if the concert went ahead, calling Lady Gaga a "devil's messenger" w ...[text shortened]... ook place in the Philippines, with Christian groups accusing her of being blasphemous.
    Strangely thats what most men want . Secretly or otherwise.

    More psycologists for poor men!!
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    28 May '12 23:061 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Strangely thats what most men want . Secretly or otherwise.

    More psycologists for poor men!!
    Slightly more female fans, very few minors. Generally college educated, middle income.

    http://www.marketingcharts.com/direct/lady-gaga-provokes-mixed-brand-reaction-18330/networked-insights-lady-gaga-demographics-july-2011jpg/

    Despite the image some of the issues she addresses are significant. [Edit: and may be what really gets their goats over there.]

    http://www.outimpact.com/activism/lady-gagas-speech-dadt-thought-equality-nonnegotiable/#axzz1wCzII1S9

    http://www.outimpact.com/activism/lady-gagas-europride-2011-speech-gay-scale-social-issues-encouraging-unity/#axzz1wCzII1S9
  11. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    28 May '12 23:281 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Despite the image some of the issues she addresses are significant. [Edit: and may be what really gets their goats over there.]
    Gaga: “[..] Modern social issues are real, they are serious, and the laws that confine them have a overarching affect on humanity.”

    There are people 'over here' who are working patiently and steadfastly on the fact that significant issues get on the goats of their fellow Indonesian social conservatives and that there are "laws that confine". How does Lady Gaga contribute to that I wonder? Does her kind of approach set it back or move it forward?
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    28 May '12 23:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    Gaga: “[..] Modern social issues are real, they are serious, and the laws that confine them have a overarching affect on humanity.”

    There are people 'over here' who are working patiently and steadfastly on the fact that significant issues get on the goats of their fellow Indonesian social conservatives. How does Lady Gaga contribute to that I wonder? Does her kind of approach set it back or move it forward?
    How would we know?
  13. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    28 May '12 23:43
    Originally posted by JS357
    How would we know?
    You have some information about Lady Gaga I see. Do you have information on the challenges civil society groups and activists face and the progress they've made 'over here'? "How would we know?" Was it a rhetorical question?
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    29 May '12 03:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    You have some information about Lady Gaga I see. Do you have information on the challenges civil society groups and activists face and the progress they've made 'over here'? "How would we know?" Was it a rhetorical question?
    Here are your questions:

    How does Lady Gaga contribute to that I wonder? Does her kind of approach set it back or move it forward?

    I am asking, how do we come up with answers?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    29 May '12 03:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    Gaga: “[..] Modern social issues are real, they are serious, and the laws that confine them have a overarching affect on humanity.”

    There are people 'over here' who are working patiently and steadfastly on the fact that significant issues get on the goats of their fellow Indonesian social conservatives and that there are "laws that confine". How does Lady Gaga contribute to that I wonder? Does her kind of approach set it back or move it forward?
    I suppose the more permissive a society is the more readily they accept someone like lady Gaga. The real question becomes, is accepting someone like lady Gaga moving forward? You would say yes and they would say no.
Back to Top