1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 18:121 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    How can you possibly sit and watch America and live and work here without coming to the same conclusion as most Americans? Especially considering the quality of life in most third-world countries. Do you really think America got to where it was in the 20th century without God's blessing?

Peter was the one who said that. Do you think he could even conc like the Roman Empire or Egypt, and one could not exactly argue that they were blessed by God.
    I think the Bible which would include Pauls words who were also inspired by God, say nothing at all about God being partial to any countries then or in the future.
    And the Bible also cleary says that Jesus said that God's Kingdom is NO part of the world. If the USA were somehow set apart from that scriptures meanings, it would be clearly stated somewhere in the Bible by prophecy.
    The Bible in Revelation clearly explains that all the worlds kingdoms will soon be brought to ruin. There are no exceptions stated anywhere that the USA or some un named country would survive because of some special relationship God has over it as compared to others.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 19:401 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I think the Bible which would include Pauls words who were also inspired by God, say nothing at all about God being partial to any countries then or in the future.
    And the Bible also cleary says that Jesus said that God's Kingdom is NO part of the world. If the USA were somehow set apart from that scriptures meanings, it would be clearly stated somewhe ...[text shortened]... untry would survive because of some special relationship God has over it as compared to others.
    "NO part of the world" is what the Watchtower Society says.

Jesus tells his disciples to go and teach all nations the things he has taught them and to baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

That is somewhat different from what the JWs preach and do. It is not possible to be "NO part of the world" and fulfill the great commission of Jesus. All the disciples were part of the world.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 19:511 edit
    Britain did not, on the eve of its creation, dedicate itself to God. God was nowhere to be found in Britain's founding. Oh there may have been lip service (God Save the Queen and all that) but no thanks to God for giving them the land of England. We've seen a decline worldwide in the influence of Great Britain for the past 200 years. Is th m other countries with some sort of axe to grind that deny the concept on the face of it.
    Did you consider things such as Native American genocide and the abhorrent practice of slavery prior to drawing your conclusion?
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 20:03
    This thread made me laugh out loud until my eyes watered. Thanks Suzy, never change!
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 20:09
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    "NO part of the world" is what the Watchtower Society says.

Jesus tells his disciples to go and teach [b]all nations
    the things he has taught them and to baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

That is somewhat different from what the JWs preach and do. It is not possible to be "NO part of the world" and fulf ...[text shortened]... l the disciples were part of the world.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy![/b]
    Just can't figure that one out can ya?
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 20:172 edits
    Perhaps if one would go back into the Bible and see the nation of Israel and the standards he expected from them in order to maintain and deserve his blessings and protection, it would help one to see some points on this.
    Has the USA or as a matter of fact, any nation conformed to God's ways, his leadership, guidelines and laws so that they can say he is souly blessing them?
    It seems other then humans saying he has blessed the USA, there is in fact no real proof that he has.
    Has there been any unearthed writings from God saying that he would bless this particular country in the future? Has there been a light from heaven with a spiritual voice exclaiming that he is truly behind the USA and even some of the football games we play on Friday nights or the "good ole boy's" at Nascar???
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 21:57
    [b]An interesting scripture:

Acts 10:34-35
    Today's New International Version (TNIV)

34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism
    35 but accepts those from every nation who fear him and do what is right. edit:
    Perhaps the key words there are "every nation who fear him", no?
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 22:21
    Britain did not, on the eve of its creation, dedicate itself to God. God was nowhere to be found in Britain's founding. Oh there may have been lip service (God Save the Queen and all that) but no thanks to God for giving them the land of England. We've seen a decline worldwide in the influence of Great Britain for the past 200 years. Is th ...[text shortened]... m other countries with some sort of axe to grind that deny the concept on the face of it.
    " America also believed in Manifest Destiny, or the idea that God gave America full right to all land clear to the Pacific Ocean."

No one is denying the USA is an Empire, but the fact that some of it's citizens clear their conscience by making it Gods idea say's more about the geopolitical immaturity of some Americans than it does about God favouring one blood thirsty nation over another.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 23:10
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    Perhaps the key words there are "every nation who fear him", no?
    Not really. It says "those" or individuals that fear him. Not a nation but individuals is who God is looking for from all nations.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 23:43
    Just can't figure that one out can ya?
    You are the one that can't figure it out, so I was just bringing it to your attention. Perhaps you should try to think on that one and then maybe you will realize you have been fed a load of crap by the Watchtower Society, a group of men trying to replace the Holy Spirit as your god. 😏
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 00:01
    Inventions made in this country by Americans and others have raised the quality of life worldwide. We now enjoy a technology unequaled in world history.
    Of course the US was blessed.
    mmmmm
    by your reasoning wouldn't USA be no.1 in these lists?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Nobel_laureates_per_capita

(15th overall and 11th in Sciences)
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 00:02
    Britain did not, on the eve of its creation, dedicate itself to God. God was nowhere to be found in Britain's founding. Oh there may have been lip service (God Save the Queen and all that) but no thanks to God for giving them the land of England. We've seen a decline worldwide in the influence of Great Britain for the past 200 years. Is th ...[text shortened]... m other countries with some sort of axe to grind that deny the concept on the face of it.
    Man do you have a lot to learn about British/European history... Actually you have a lot to learn about your own history.

In god we trust was introduced as the official American "motto" [as an aside, why the hell does a country need a motto?]
    in 1956... Quite a long time after it's founding. And started appearing on US currency after the civil war... also a way after
    your nations founding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_we_trust

Going back WAY before the American landmass was even thought to exist, god and religion was considered WAY more important
    and real in most peoples lives than all but the most rabid fundamentalists of today.

Royalty was frequently considered to be put there and supported by god.
    Crimes were detected and tried by ordeals settled by god. Things could get decided by duels that would be influenced by god to
    make sure the "right" side won. Battles were won or lost by the will of god...

Your posts in this thread are laughably and ludicrously wide of the mark.

If you want to comment on European history you really need to read some more about it... Given that we have quite a lot more
    history than you do it will take a while... Probably the rest of your life... But a few years should be enough to stop you being this
    hopelessly wrong.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 00:141 edit
    Britain did not, on the eve of its creation, dedicate itself to God. God was nowhere to be found in Britain's founding.
    The Creation of Great Britain was in 1707 but - at the risk of offending the rest of the UK - English origins can go back to Alfred The Great. (9th Century)

He was made a saint.

How holy do you want?

edit
    Before anyone corrects me!
    Wiki says Athelstan (Alfred's grandson) was England's first king.
    😀
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 00:26
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    The Creation of Great Britain was in 1707 but - at the risk of offending the rest of the UK - English origins can go back to Alfred The Great. (9th Century)

He was made a saint.

How holy do you want?

[b]edit

Before anyone corrects me!
    Wiki says Athelstan (Alfred's grandson) was England's first king.
    😀[/b]
    How are you defining "English origins"?

My home town, for example, pre-dates the Romans...

Also one of my favourites from back then was Æthelred the Unready...
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 00:36
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    How are you defining "English origins"?

My home town, for example, pre-dates the Romans...

Also one of my favourites from back then was Æthelred the Unready...
    Oh I'm not defining anything chum.

Just remembering some school learning from way back - wasnt Alfred known
    as the originator of the Royal Navy? - and apart from being a crap pastry chef
    he kept those Vikings in check!

They had great epithets back then.
    Like Edward Longshanks
    Can you imagine Charles III being called Charles Big Ears?
    😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree