1. London
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 13:05
    Originally posted by Halitose
    There's no answer because it's pointless discussing anything Christian-related with you HG. You religiously stick to your shallow-founded beliefs that religious people are nuts. Go figure.
    I couldn't agree more.

What say we ignore howardgee completely on this thread and discuss something else instead?

Have you seen the trailers of the Chronicles of Narnia movie? What do you think of it? Have you read the books? Do you like them?

Peace,

LH
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 13:37
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I couldn't agree more.

What say we ignore howardgee completely on this thread and discuss something else instead?

Have you seen the trailers of the Chronicles of Narnia movie? What do you think of it? Have you read the books? Do you like them?

Peace,

LH
    I've checked out the trailers and read the books. Looks to be a killer. A definite improvement on the old BBC versions - and perhaps something to rival the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. The trailers seemed like they were still gonna do their colour-grading and correction, which gave them a digital feel. But maybe that's just me.

You?
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 13:41
    I've checked out the trailers and read the books. Looks to be a killer.
    How many films have been made? I've only seen a trailer for the Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe.
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 13:53
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    How many films have been made? I've only seen a trailer for the Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe.
    Sorry, that should have been "trailer". Yes, it's only the first one of the series coming out.
  5. London
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 13:56
    I've checked out the trailers and read the books. Looks to be a killer. A definite improvement on the old BBC versions - and perhaps something to rival the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. The trailers seemed like they were still gonna do their colour-grading and correction, which gave them a digital feel. But maybe that's just me.

You?
    I'm really looking forward to this one. My brother and I discovered the books by accident while browsing around in the library when we were kids - and we pretty much fell in love with it right away (I didn't read Tolkien until I got to university).

One advantage the Narnia movies should have over the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movies is that the books should lend themselves easily to the right movie length. The Harry Potter movies tend to sacrifice internal consistency and continuity in order to remain faithful to the books, while the LOTR movies dropped entire sub-plots to maintain continuity. The Narnia movies should have no such problems.

I really hope the allegorical elements of the story are preserved in the movie. And, I swear a chill ran down my spine when Aslan roared at the end of the trailer!

Peace,

LH
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 14:061 edit
    I'm really looking forward to this one. My brother and I discovered the books by accident while browsing around in the library when we were kids - and we pretty much fell in love with it right away (I didn't read Tolkien until I got to university).

One advantage the Narnia movies should have over the Harry Potter and [i]Lord of the ...[text shortened]... , I swear a chill ran down my spine when Aslan roared at the end of the trailer!

Peace,

LH
    [/i]As far as I know, Lewis's son is attached to ensure a consistancy with Lewis's original ideas.
  7. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 14:10
    I really hope the allegorical elements of the story are preserved in the movie. And, I swear a chill ran down my spine when Aslan roared at the end of the trailer!
    Not that I wish to participate in the hijacking of HG's thread (I do think xtians exhibit classic psychoses, let's face it...it's a big-C Cult), I'm also looking forward to the Narnia series. Although the allegories are pronounced, do you think they are typical christian themes, or does there appear to be an element of mystical/gnosticism to them?
  8. London
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 14:18
    Originally posted by David C
    Not that I wish to participate in the hijacking of HG's thread (I do think xtians exhibit classic psychoses, let's face it...it's a big-C Cult), I'm also looking forward to the Narnia series. Although the allegories are pronounced, do you think they are typical christian themes, or does there appear to be an element of mystical/gnosticism to them?
    Could you elaborate? I don't recall any mystical or gnostic themes in the story - but perhaps my memory is a little rusty.
  9. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 14:20
    Originally posted by David C
    let's face it...it's a big-C Cult

As in David C?
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 14:25
    [b]let's face it...it's a big-C Cult

As in David C?[/b]
    Time to come clean, David.
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 16:281 edit
    Originally posted by windmill
    Delusional people....Anyone who talks beyond my own comprehension.
    Are you serious? Am I interpreting your statement correctly that any one who says something you cannot comprehend is delusional in your estimation?
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 16:35
    What follows is a string of thoughts:

Of course it's a cult. I liked the whole Narnia thing as a kid. I read the books and such. Then LOTR came along ,and I realized Narnia was boring. Now I can't even pick up a fantasy book (used to love them). I'd rather read about this world. Still I understand why some people love the genre.

I'm thinking of taking my five-year-old daughter to the The LWW, but I think it will be a bit too scary for her right now. Maybe in another year or two.

Lewis . . .
    A decent academic. Like William Lane Craig, xians have elevated C.S. Lewis to a philosophic level far beyond his merit. Still a good writer.
  13. London
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 16:592 edits
    Originally posted by telerion
    What follows is a string of thoughts:

Of course it's a cult. I liked the whole Narnia thing as a kid. I read the books and such. Then LOTR came along ,and I realized Narnia was boring. Now I can't even pick up a fantasy book (used to love them). I'd rather read about this world. Still I understand why some people love the genre.

I'm thinking ...[text shortened]... ians have elevated C.S. Lewis to a philosophic level far beyond his merit. Still a good writer.
    tel: Like William Lane Craig, xians have elevated C.S. Lewis to a philosophic level far beyond his merit.

At least until Anscombe gave him a public dressing down.

As for fantasy, I think I'm still at the age where one can enjoy Jordan and Martin - so I'll give it more time.

EDIT: Don't underestimate the emotional resilience of five-year olds!
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 18:03
    Originally posted by telerion
    Now I can't even pick up a fantasy book (used to love them). I'd rather read about this world.
    Do you read any sort of fiction?
  15. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 18:14
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Do you read any sort of fiction?
    I seem to recall him mentioning Lawhead a while back - an enthralling author.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree