1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 05:06
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    So you're saying that it's unreasonable to believe in the things I've experienced first hand.
    Let's say you were hit from behind by some blunt object, and fell headlong into a nearby lake. By the time you recover and swim to shore, there is absolutely nobody around. You've definitely experienced being knocked into the lake, so it would be a pity not to build on this unique, firsthand experience. Let's start with the basics. Who hit you?
  2. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 05:07
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    The problem is, if things don't turn out the way you want them to, or expect them to, it is too easy to claim that you simply misread God's will, or that God never willed it in the first place. God is given credit for being right by default, and you will adjust your view of outside circumstances such that God remains always in the right. If you did not, your entire belief system would collapse.
    I guess I don't see how that shows my faith to be illogical.
    My faith is in God's promises. One of those promises is that He has my best interest in mind. So, because of my faith in that promise, yes, if my prayers don't get answered I assume there's a good and valid reason for it, even though I don't know what that reason is. In short, I rely on my faith in God's promise. Since my life has gotten nothing but better in the 11 years since I've been serious about God, I don't see how taking that stance is illogical.

DF
  3. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 06:28
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    If God exists and he is an inclusive God then there must be a way of coming to faith without having to have a theology/philosophy degree. If it really did require extensive and complex debate (like that which we see on this forum) then what happens to those who have limited intellectual understanding like children or those with learning difficulties . ...[text shortened]... iliation of intellect. God is an equal opportunities employer, let's get used to it.
    You are obviously Biblically ignorant. Jesus stated that the only way for Man to come to him on His terms is to be as children....innocent. The only way for one to be innocent is to repent his/her sins. Jesus didn't say we had to write a thesis on Pythagorus' thesis
  4. Joined
    11 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 08:43
    Your statement, "...my [b]faith is based on logic..." is self-contradictory. Faith is the firm belief in something for which there is no proof.[/b]
    Is it really?

Do we have any PROOF that gravity will not suddenly stop tomorrow?
    Therefore we have FAITH that it will still work tomorrow. Why? Because that is what REASON tells us should happen. Surely faith is not by definition irrational? It might be able to exist independent of reason, but how can you say that anything that is reasonable is therefore not faith?

Lets assume the story of Peter walking on the water is real: He is standing in the boat with faith that he could walk on the water. Sure enough he DOES walk on the water. Now there is evidence, so it is no longer faith. So now we have an explanation of why he started to sink. He had proof and, using your definition, it was no longer faith. Being on the water without faith he sinks.

I think you can have a Faith based on Reason. Not so sure you can then say the entire system you build on that faith is then necessarily Reasonable though... I think the key word here is "based"
  5. London
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 08:48
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    St. Augustine
    Dietrich von Hildebrand
    Edith Stein

Off the top of my head.
    Gabriel Marcel, as well.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 11:48
    So you're saying that it's unreasonable to believe in the things I've experienced first hand. Only a fool denies what he himself has experienced to be true. I have no more faith in the existance of God than I do of my own. I know God to exist. My faith is in the promises of God and in His plan for the future.
    Why do I think my faith is rational? Becau ...[text shortened]... f His word. So I rightly conclude that He will keep His promises, and such is my faith.

DF
    Blind, unreasoning faith.
  7. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 12:40
    Originally posted by chancremechanic
    You are obviously Biblically ignorant. Jesus stated that the only way for Man to come to him on His terms is to be as children....innocent. The only way for one to be innocent is to repent his/her sins. Jesus didn't say we had to write a thesis on Pythagorus' thesis
    You think I'm an Atheist? I was asking this question rhetorically , not literally. Of course I know this , that's why I was asking the question!!!!
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 13:47
    Originally posted by chancremechanic
    Not exactly. "Repent" means to change ones mind, specifically related to what one thinks of Jesus Christ.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 17:22
    I guess I don't see how that shows my faith to be illogical.
    My faith is in God's promises. One of those promises is that He has my best interest in mind. So, because of my faith in that promise, yes, if my prayers don't get answered I assume there's a good and valid reason for it, even though I don't know what that reason is. In short, I rely on my fa ...[text shortened]... ince I've been serious about God, I don't see how taking that stance is illogical.

DF
    It is not necessarily illogical, but neither is it based on logic.

Would you mind sharing some specifics about how your life has improved since adopting faith?
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 17:32
    Originally posted by JadeMantis
    Is it really?

Do we have any PROOF that gravity will not suddenly stop tomorrow?
    Therefore we have FAITH that it will still work tomorrow.
    Wrong! Your definition of 'faith' is incorrect. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, faith is firm belief in something for which there is no proof (www.m-w.com). Gravity, or the existence of it, is not a matter of faith. We know it exists.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 17:34
    Faith is both what is believed and belief itself. There is a distinction.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 22:49
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Faith is both what is believed and belief itself. There is a distinction.
    I knew I'd have to do it eventually. Here's the full definition (www.m-w.com)

Main Entry: 1faith
    Pronunciation: 'fAth
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural faiths /'fAths, sometimes 'fA[th]z/
    Etymology: Middle English feith, from Old French feid, foi, from Latin fides; akin to Latin fidere to trust -- more at BIDE
    1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : LOYALTY b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
    2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
    3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs

Notice how God and religion keep popping up again and again. The word is best used to describe a belief or loyalty to one or both of the above.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 22:50
    I knew I'd have to do it eventually. Here's the full definition (www.m-w.com)

Main Entry: 1faith
    Pronunciation: 'fAth
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural faiths /'fAths, sometimes 'fA[th]z/
    Etymology: Middle English feith, from Old French feid, foi, from Latin fides; akin to Latin fidere to trust -- more at BIDE
    1 a : allegiance to duty o ...[text shortened]... again. The word is best used to describe a belief or loyalty to one or both of the above.
    Got anything deeper than Latin?
    Notice the second and third definitions? Crazy, huh.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 05:322 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Got anything deeper than Latin?
    Notice the second and third definitions? Crazy, huh.
    Only a kook would ask for a 'deeper' dictionary definition. 🙄🙄

Edit: Why use a word like 'faith' to describe a 'belief' in something that is known? Answer: to create the illusion that believing in something mythical or metaphysical is no different than believing a principle or law of nature that is real, repeatable, and proven.
  15. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 07:07
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    You think I'm an Atheist? I was asking this question rhetorically , not literally. Of course I know this , that's why I was asking the question!!!!
    Sounded literal to me. Next time, annouce that you are hypothesizing....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree