1. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 20:24
    Who to say that any one human knows how to judge a Holy and Righteous God? Who are we to think that we know "all good?"
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 20:28
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Who to say that any one human knows how to judge a Holy and Righteous God? Who are we to think that we know "all good?"
    Do you believe your god is good?
    If so, by what criteria did you reach that conclusion?

Or to phrase it differently - and in direct response to your
    most recent post - how did you discern that your god was
    "Holy and Righteous"? What standard did he measure up to?
  3. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 21:24
    Wolfgang,
    You Typed:
    -----------------
    Do you believe your god is good?
    If so, by what criteria did you reach that conclusion?

Or to phrase it differently - and in direct response to your
    most recent post - how did you discern that your god was
    "Holy and Righteous"? What standard did he measure up to?
    -----------------

I believe that God of the bible is good in Holiness and Righteousness.

I reach that conclusion because the bible tells us that He is Holy.

God measured up to the standard that He is.

Also, man is severely flawed , so why is mankind any judge of what is "good" in Godly terms.

God gives man mercy and grace. Is this evil? If it is evil, then God is undependable. However, God is dependable and tells no lie.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 23:52
    1. I believe that God of the bible is good in Holiness and Righteousness.
    2. I reach that conclusion because the bible tells us that He is Holy.
    3. God measured up to the standard that He is.
    4. Also, man is severely flawed , so why is mankind any judge of what is "good" in Godly terms.
    5. God gives man mercy and grace. Is this evil? If it is evil, then God is undependable. However, God is dependable and tells no lie.
    1. Yes, I know. I was asking why you thought that.
    2. So because I book says he is "Holy" that means he is therefore good? Explain please.
    3. I don't understand. Doesn't everyone and everything measure up to themselves? That seems self-evident and of zero use.
    4. Man may be flawed, and I am not asking mankind to judge the character of god. If you think he is good you have judged him to be so. Surely?
    5. That logic looks dodgy. What is the premise and what is the conclusion of that point?
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 19:55
    Where is KingOnPoint?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 22:32
    This question of whether God is good, need not be complicated.

If I start from the beginning of the Scripture I think God was good to create the heavens and the earth. He did so pronouncing various parts of the creation as good - the light, dry land, the lives he created, etc. I agree that these were good and the preparation of creation for man's existence was also good.

I further find His creation of man in His own image and according to His own likeness, was good.

I further agree that everything He made was very good.

Now where do I come to any problem with God's goodness in early Genesis?
    There are some things which at first I did not understand. But with some spiritual growth, came to agree that they manifested God's goodness.

Now when I was a parent a day came when my baby daughter got sick. When we took her to the doctor, he said that it was possible that she had meningitis, a serious disease. To be CERTAIN that they stopped a meningitis effection they said they would have to pierce her spine area with a needle to extract some fluid.

One of the hardest things I ever had to do was hold my daughter tightly while they injected a needle into her back. The cause of the procedure was to protect her life.

If I had been her I would not have considered that "good" to have to go through. With maturity, perhaps, I would have realized that it was good of my parents to listen to the medical advice that they made certain that she did not have a disease that could latter damage of end her life.

Back to the word of God. YES there are some things which at first and second glance, do not appear to be good of God to have done. Latter, I saw His love and goodness in His ways.

There remain some things which I have yet to understand better. But I trust my heavenly Father's goodness.

I came to the Old Testament second through the New Testament. As I read about this Son of God / Son of Man I had no trouble comprehending that He was very good.

People who can read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and cannot notice the goodness of God, I think have a serious problem somewhere.

Even in the dealing of God with Cain, I see that God was good.
    Read it.

In His dealing with the society which finally required judging at the time of Noah, I saw that as a result of God's goodness. For goodness must enact justice eventually. And those who think it is good to be completely permissive have a problem.

And those who think righteousness should not enact judgement, have a problem.

I see God's goodness over and over again in the history told in the Old Testament. There may be some things that I do not appreciate well yet. But because of having seen myself coming around to appreciating God's ways, I have confidence that one day I will know the goodness of those acts as well.

Lastly, as I turn around and view the last 365 days of my life, I can thank God for many good things He has allowed and done not only in outward blessings, but even more in inward grace, enjoyment, supply enabling and empowering me with His presence.

God is good.

And anyone who can look back over there life and see not be able to see something for which that could pause a moment, saying "Thankyou God. That was good of You" [/i] I think is some kind of sick individual.

But it is good also that God has sent a Savior in Christ the Lord.
    It is good of God that through Christ God can look upon me as if I had NEVER sinned at all.

It is good that He gave Christ not only FOR me but TO me as the Holy Spirit. That is that I could be conformed to the image of the Firstborn Son of God.

It is also good of God that He has not forced anyone to confess that He is good. It is good that He has allowed each of us to make our own choice.
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 12:26
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I do wish to have an adult conversation ...

so ....

[b]SHUT UP!

btw:
    write out 100 times - apologise[/b]
    btw:
    write out 100 times - apologise

Psssst ... Kelly .... perhaps this will help

#include <iostream>

int main ()
    {
    int hundred = 100;
    int* k = &hundred;

while (k != 0)
    {
    std::cout << "apologise\n";
    k--;
    }
    return 0;
    }
  8. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 16:28
    Wolfgang,
    I typed:
    ----------------
    ----------------

I believe God's declaration of Himself. The bible teaches that He uses Holiness when judging sin. He also demands that sinlessness is required to get to Him. Christ provided that sinlessness.

There is no one else that I know of, human or "extra-terrestrial," that is as good as God. Christ is God, so that He is the same as God in holiness and righteousness.

Another reason why I accept that God is good is because All the earthly people were not destroyed in a flood. He gave grace to Noah. God allows rain on the evil and the "good" earthly people.

God is good too because He offered His Son to be the Savior of the world. He loves us even when we are evil. He wants us to have eternal life in Christ.

While I won't say that these reasons exhaust why I think that God is good, it comes down to faith. I need God. He doesn't need me. The bible says that He provided the way to eternal life and forgiveness of sin - -Christ.

One advantage to God's goodness is that He is love. A disadvantage of God being good for sinners is that God is holy and righteous. Yet, the bible tells us that God provided.
  9. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 16:33
    Wolfgang
    You typed
    ------------
    4. Man may be flawed, and I am not asking mankind to judge the character of god. If you think he is good you have judged him to be so. Surely?
    ------------
    One the one hand I take God's declaration that He is good. I don't have the cognitive ability to know all goodness and all evil or, at least, realize them. I believe what He tells in the bible. But, there are human experiences in the world, not just for me alone, that are peaceful to experience. These are allowed or are given by God. He doesn't judge us as we could be judged. He gives mercy or grace even to people who are not His spiritual children.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 02:12
    Wolfgang,
    I typed:
    ----------------
    ----------------

I believe God's declaration of Himself. The bible teaches that He uses Holiness when judging sin. He ...[text shortened]... good for sinners is that God is holy and righteous. Yet, the bible tells us that God provided.
    compare your replies to the 3 questions
    you have addressed them in the vaguest possible way

i would mark an 11 yr old low on comprehension for this standard of reply
  11. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 02:42
    Wolfgang,
    You Typed
    ============
    ============

I have not judged the God of the bible. I take Christ's declaration that the God of the bible is good, as true.

His goodness is tied to His holiness and righteousness. Pleasant things do not have to happen to me for God to be good, nor to the rest of the people of the world. I don't need "proof" for it to be so. I don't need understanding for it to be so.

King James Version
    ==============
    Luke 18: 19
    And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 00:53
    I have not judged the God of the bible. I take Christ's declaration that the God of the bible is good, as true.
    OK. for one moment we will assume that you have not judged god as good - instead you assume god is good based on someone else's opinion, the 'someone else' being jesus. Now you have more questions to ask;
    1. Did Jesus exist.
    2. If he did exist did he know whether or not god is good?
    3. If he did know did he tell anyone the truth?
    4. If he did know, and did tell someone and was telling the truth - was it recorded accurately?

and so on and so on ..

i think it easier to make a judgement yourself rather than rely on hearsay
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 00:54
    [b]His goodness is tied to His holiness and righteousness. /b]
    change of tack!!

you are now judging god to be good based on his holiness and righteousness

yes? or no?
  14. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 01:363 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    change of tack!!

you are now judging god to be good based on his holiness and righteousness

yes? or no?
    Wolfgang,
    No, I am not judging God to be good. But I take it by faith that God is holy and righteous.

The bible says that God is love. I don't understand this since God doesn't do all I want him to do for my need the way I want Him to. But it doesn't matter what my interpretation of that declaration is. I have to take it by faith.

What makes Him good is his purity. I might could say that God is the embodiment of "good." Even this, I cannot "judge" it to be so.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 05:121 edit
    No, I am not judging God to be good. But I take it by faith that God is holy and righteous.

The thread is about discerning how one determines that god is good. You
    wrote "His goodness is tied to His holiness and righteousness." which
    I took as affirming his goodness because he was holy and righteous.

Evidently I was wrong and you do not make this link. (?)

So we are no closer to finding out your reasons for deciding that god is
    good after chasing those red herrings! Please stick to the point because
    I am struggling to follow your line of reason.

Thanks
    Wolfie

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree