1. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 01:03
    is it possible that God knows all the different things that could happen, and the different choices we can make but does not know which one we will choose til afterwards?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 01:59
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    is it possible that God knows all the different things that could happen, and the different choices we can make but does not know which one we will choose til afterwards?
    Well since there is no god, it looks unlikely. Sorry, if you want a god you will have to make one yourself. You might not like the result, however.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 02:17
    If I flip a coin, I know it will come out heads or tails. It doesn't require omniscience for that. Being omniscient would entail knowing the result before the coin is flipped. If god doesn't know the results of every action, then he isn't omniscient.
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 02:57
    Originally posted by rwingett
    If I flip a coin, I know it will come out heads or tails. It doesn't require omniscience for that. Being omniscient would entail knowing the result before the coin is flipped. If god doesn't know the results of every action, then he isn't omniscient.
    but we dont know what is going through people's heads and what they are thinking about doing
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 03:26
    but we dont know what is going through people's heads and what they are thinking about doing
    Because we're not omniscient.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 04:21
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Because we're not omniscient.
    I knew you were going to say that ......
  7. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 05:20
    In another thread, I pointed out that apparently, based on the bible, the story of Jesus, His arrival, how He was betrayed, how He died and His resurrection; even down to the very detail of how many times the rooster would crow, were already known before these events took place.

I suggested that Judas had no free will since he was destined to be the traitor whether he liked it or not; that everything was already predetermined by God.

However, it was argued that although God did know of every single thing that is to come, it doesn't mean that he predetermined them. It was argued that God still let us have free will. Therefore, for example, to take the case of Judas, God merely let him have his free will to betray Jesus; that that was totally his own choice. God merely saw it all before it happened. And so we have a beautiful explanation for an all-knowing God while maintaining the notion of giving us free will...

So now God sees a psycho who's about to fly an aeroplane into a tall building. He sees that the ensuing explosion is going to kill thousands of innocent people including infants. God does nothing. Why? Because he wants to let this psycho to have free will. And so, the building does come down to the ground. The psycho ended up in hell when he dies, because that is his choice. But what about those who died from the explosion? What choice did they have? I think I can safely assume that they wouldn't want to die like that? Did they have free will too?
  8. Standard membersven1000
    Astrophysicist
    Outer Space
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 06:44
    What I find interesting is that one human making a horrible decision (like flying a plane into a building) opens the door for other humans to make heroic, admirable choices (like rescuing someone from the building, or taking over the plane to prevent the intended action).

If life were "perfect" and everyone died peacefully in their sleep after they finished everything in their life they wanted to, surrounded by their loving family and friends...where would the opportunities to transcend ourselves occur? Because we only rise to the occasion of being better when we face an obstacle.

What if (not to be too blasphemous here) there were other "potential Jesus's" whose "Judas's" didn't choose to betray them? They just went on, being pretty good guys, the kind you'd admire, but because they didn't have that ultimate sacrifice to make, even if they would have chosen to, they didn't get remembered.
  9. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 13:12
    He knows everything that you are going to say and do.... he's God...he is a higher being that we will never understand and our little minds never will.... i accept that and i dont blame God for anything.....
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 13:29
    Originally posted by sven1000
    What I find interesting is that one human making a horrible decision (like flying a plane into a building) opens the door for other humans to make heroic, admirable choices (like rescuing someone from the building, or taking over the plane to prevent the intended action).

If life were "perfect" and everyone died peacefully in their sleep after they f ...[text shortened]... te sacrifice to make, even if they would have chosen to, they didn't get remembered.
    How about “Schroedinger’s Jesus”?
  11. CA, USA
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 13:50
    He's hoping you'll surprise Him .. imagine the thrill
  12. Solaris
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 15:44
    Ur post contains a wrong assumption . God, being not tied with time,is everywhere in the time stream. Before your decision,during it and afterwards. This, however doesn't affect your freedom of choice...
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 15:49
    Originally posted by Choreant
    Ur post contains a wrong assumption . God, being not tied with time,is everywhere in the time stream. Before your decision,during it and afterwards. This, however doesn't affect your freedom of choice...
    Did God rest on the seventh day?
  14. Solaris
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 15:50
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Did God rest on the seventh day?
    Are you serious,asking such a thing???
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 15:52
    Originally posted by Choreant
    Are you serious,asking such a thing???
    Only if you were seriously affirming that which you posted.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree