1. Solaris
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 16:18
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Only if you were seriously affirming that which you posted.
    So...
    Of course,the first thing is that days from Gensis,are symbols. But this obvious fact,is powerless in getting to atheists minds.

We take the time, then. Time is observing change. No change, no time. We've got a God, Absolute Being, no change then. The first possibilty to observe time is the beginning of the world,whenever it happened. If God really had a well-deserved rest after creation, any day-pinning is a wordly affair. God remains over the time,but people can try to associate it with any of their particular moments. So,regardless if it was really the seventh day or not, pointing at any moment of God rest does not affect,His over-timeness...
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 16:22
    Originally posted by Choreant
    So...
    Of course,the first thing is that days from Gensis,are symbols. But this obvious fact,is powerless in getting to atheists minds.

We take the time, then. Time is observing change. No change, no time. We've got a God, Absolute Being, no change then. The first possibilty to observe time is the beginning of the world,whenever it happened. If God reall ...[text shortened]... the seventh day or not, pointing at any moment of God rest does not affect,His over-timeness...
    Today, does God have a covenant with man to not send another flood to destroy humanity?
  3. Solaris
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 16:34
    Today, does God have a covenant with man to not send another flood to destroy humanity?
    It's a promise not a covenant. This promise was just another change in the timestream. Like the flood itself. So God has no obligation to stop the flood,just beacuse he knew before that now He won't do it again...
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 16:381 edit
    It's a promise not a covenant. This promise was just another change in the timestream. Like the flood itself. So God has no obligation to stop the flood,just beacuse he knew before that now He won't do it again...
    "I hate arguing about terms,it brings nothing" - Choreant, in the Posthumous Miracles thread.

So, let's call it a promise. Today, he is bound by it. On the day before the flood, had God made the promise to Noah?

Also, do you accept the flood account as literal even though you reject a literal reading of the creation account?
  5. Solaris
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 16:48
    "I hate arguing about terms,it brings nothing" - Choreant, in the Posthumous Miracles thread.

So, let's call it a promise. Today, he is bound by it. On the day before the flood, had God made the promise to Noah?

Also, do you accept the flood account as literal even though you reject a literal reading of the creation account?
    It is like a clausula in an agreement. If I promise you 10 thousand dollars, after You will clean my garden,I'm obliged to pay You,but no sooner then I see my garden nice and tidy. The promise God made, was a promise of no more Floods, after the first one takes place. And by this promise He was bound the day before the flood. The other thing is that humanity didn't know. So the there it goes.
    1. Day before the Flood. There is a God plan. No human knows
    2. Flood. God plan takes place. Human knows only about the flood.
    3. End of the Flood. God plan still takes place. Human know about the Flood and the promise for future.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 16:521 edit
    The promise God made, was a promise of no more Floods, after the first one takes place. And by this promise He was bound the day before the flood.
    I see. So, on the day before the flood, if Noah had asked God, "Do I this day have a promise with you that after the coming flood, there will be no more?", if God answered truthfully, he would have said Yes?
  7. Solaris
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 16:54
    I see. So, on the day before the flood, if Noah had asked God, "Do I this day have a promise with you that after the coming flood, there will be no more?", if God answered truthfully, he would have said Yes?
    Noah couldn't have known.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 16:56
    Noah couldn't have known.
    He could have conceived of the question. What if he had asked it? What would the truthful answer have been?
  9. Solaris
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 16:57
    He could have conceived of the question. What if he had asked it? What would the truthful answer have been?
    I suppose that the truthful answer shall be Y
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 17:012 edits
    I suppose that the truthful answer shall be Y
    I see. What if Adam had thought to ask God, while sitting in the Garden before eating the forbidden fruit, "God, have you banished me from the Garden?" What would the truthful answer be?
  11. Solaris
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 17:03
    I see. What if Adam had thought to ask God, while sitting in the Garden before eating the forbidden fruit, "God, have you banished me from the Garden?" What would the truthful answer be?
    He didn't have to. God told it to him at the very beginning.
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 17:05
    He didn't have to. God told it to him at the very beginning.
    God told Adam from the very beginning that Adam had already been banished from the Garden?
  13. London
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 11:16
    Since the question presumes Adam's temporal perspective, the answer would be "No".
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 21:361 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Since the question presumes Adam's temporal perspective, the answer would be "No".
    Then it must be the case that God is in fact constrained by time, since he can only truthfully answer the question with a Yes once a certain time in Adam's world has passed.
  15. Playing with matches
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 22:06
    Originally posted by rwingett
    If I flip a coin, I know it will come out heads or tails. It doesn't require omniscience for that. Being omniscient would entail knowing the result before the coin is flipped. If god doesn't know the results of every action, then he isn't omniscient.
    That's not quite true, it could land on it's edge.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree