1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '18 20:17
    Originally posted by @apathist
    I know you say evil is just an upper level of bad. One of the most horrible thing I'm aware of is that some creatures paralyze their prey and plant eggs in them. The eggs get a living host to feed on as they grow up. Are these parasites evil?
    No. "Evil" is a word related to human morality.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Mar '18 20:23
    Originally posted by @js357
    If made implies maker, I'd rather go with "everything wasn't made", in an argument for the existence of a maker, to avoid the fallacy of begging the question (petitio principii).
    Then why does it exist. Is the 'why?' question the problem?
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Mar '18 20:27
    Originally posted by @fmf
    No. "Evil" is a word related to human morality.
    Did you just say that animals or creatures other than humans can not have a sense of right v wrong?
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Mar '18 20:32
    God made everything that exists. Evil exists.So who is to blame for the existence of evil?
    You know who, the one that blames
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Mar '18 20:55
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    You know who, the one that blames
    That would be us. So we are responsible for good, too.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Mar '18 21:18
    That would be us. So we are responsible for good, too.
    We are responsible for everything . Laying blame just invites parasites
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '18 21:55
    Then why does it exist. Is the 'why?' question the problem?
    We have on the one hand, non-theism:
    Why is there our universe, rather than not?
    Why is our universe the way our universe is?

Or
    We have on the other hand, theism:
    Why does our God exist, rather than not?
    Why is our God the way our God is?

How does having God as answers to the first set, not lead to the second set?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '18 22:08
    Did you just say that animals or creatures other than humans can not have a sense of right v wrong?
    I don't think they have any "sense of right or wrong" that's comparable or relevant to what we are discussing here. I was never taken in by the anthropomorphizing of animals that I saw in Walt Disney films when I was growing up. 😉
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 02:14
    On the OP, I think evil may just be the absence of good in the way darkness is the absence of light.

Evil came into existence, from a Biblical standpoint, with Lucifer’s rebellion against God. Evil came from the spiritual to worldly realms, again from a Biblical standpoint, with the rebellion of man against God.

If evil is the absence of good, then the existence of evil can be traced to God’s decision to give His creation free will. That doesn’t mean God created evil; it means God allowed the potential for evil to exist.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 05:50
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    On the OP, I think evil may just be the absence of good in the way darkness is the absence of light.

Evil came into existence, from a Biblical standpoint, with Lucifer’s rebellion against God. Evil came from the spiritual to worldly realms, again from a Biblical standpoint, with the rebellion of man against God.

If evil is the absence of good, then ...[text shortened]... will. That doesn’t mean God created evil; it means God allowed the potential for evil to exist.
    Now same thing with no filter 🙂
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 15:24
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I don't think they have any "sense of right or wrong" that's comparable or relevant to what we are discussing here. I was never taken in by the anthropomorphizing of animals that I saw in Walt Disney films when I was growing up. 😉
    Just as some humans lack a sense of right and wrong.

From an evolutionary POV, morality doesn't appear to a degree we can detect in "lower" animals but it is ambiguous, IMO, in animals more like us. It must be of use in order to have evolved where it IS of use,IOW it confers a net evolutionary advantage to a species that is equipped to use it for that advantage.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 15:581 edit
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    Now same thing with no filter 🙂
    Allegories aside,Speaking cynically, morality is a system of psychological behavior control that defines approved and disapproved behavior and manipulates the emotions to reward approved behavior and punish disapproved behavior.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 20:57
    This philosophical question is the most difficult I know of. Either the universe existed forever, or it had a beginning. Neither answer works, and I've never heard of another answer.
    The universe incorporates time so it has necessarily existed forever.
  14. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 01:381 edit
    [b]God made everything that exists.
    yes, but MAN gave names to all the animals !!
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 01:57
    God made everything that exists. Evil exists.So who is to blame for the existence of evil?
    According to the Bible, God creates it.

Isaiah 45:7 King James Version (KJV)

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree