1. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    26 May '10 12:37
    Originally posted by 667joe
    If I pray to god or my dog, the success rate is about the same. How do theists explain this?
    http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/alternative/01/18/prayer.power.wmd/

do what you like, but if I'm in the hospital I want my family and friends praying for me.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 May '10 12:51
    So you approve of fathers killing their children. Sounds horrific and very primitive to me. Aztecs did the same thing.
    You're doing it again.

Don't equate what God does with what man does. But of course you can't. You've set your mind on what you think you know. What you don't know about God has your mind in a box. The possibility of the existence of a being beyond your comprehension limits your ability to think outside the box.

You have no experience of God, so you automatically deny His existence. You have no choice but to think in limited terms about the nature and character of God. You think only in subjective terms. To consider who God really is in objective terms is outside your range of experience.

Instead of having an open mind, a mind that knows it's limitations, you close your mind to objective thought and resort to immature and childish accusations.

Are you afraid of being controlled? Are you afraid of losing your identity and free will? Are you afraid of being accountable to your creator?

Until you know God you will never know what freedom really is.

That goes for everyone in the world, including me, so don't take it too personally.
  3. Maryland
    Moves
    26 May '10 17:52
    I will believe in god when you (or anybody else) can provide verifiable proof of its existence.. To me, your mind is wide open........ to everything but the truth. You seem well meaning, but unable to face hard cold reality.
  4. Maryland
    Moves
    26 May '10 17:56
    Originally posted by duecer
    http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/alternative/01/18/prayer.power.wmd/

do what you like, but if I'm in the hospital I want my family and friends praying for me.
    There have been scientific studies that show prayer for hospital patients who don't know they are being prayed for has no effect at all and hospital patients who know they are being prayed for do worse.
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    26 May '10 19:32
    Originally posted by josephw

Instead of having an open mind, a mind that knows it's limitations, you close your mind to objective thought and resort to immature and childish accusations.
    You follow a very particular faith don't you Joseph? And despite very reasonable arguments to the contrary, you hold your position come what may - that's the nature of faith, isn't it? This is the very definition of "Not Having An Open Mind". Now it may well be that the person you're directing this post at is also closed-minded, I don't know, but you should be aware that you are definitely being the black pot here.
  6. Maryland
    Moves
    26 May '10 20:41
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    You follow a very particular faith don't you Joseph? And despite very reasonable arguments to the contrary, you hold your position come what may - that's the nature of faith, isn't it? This is the very definition of [b]"Not Having An Open Mind". Now it may well be that the person you're directing this post at is also closed-minded, I don't know, but you should be aware that you are definitely being the black pot here.[/b]
    I am ready to believe in god..........just show me proof. Until you have proof, why should I believe in your imaginary friend. You have no proof and yet you believe and you accuse me of not having an open mind. I think it is not reasonable to believe in virgin births and resurrections. You, my friend, are the one with the closed mind.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 May '10 22:07
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    "heaven" is the fifth dimension as it appears in our traditional belief systems.
    Interesting thought.
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    26 May '10 22:44
    I am ready to believe in god..........just show me proof. Until you have proof, why should I believe in your imaginary friend. You have no proof and yet you believe and you accuse me of not having an open mind. I think it is not reasonable to believe in virgin births and resurrections. You, my friend, are the one with the closed mind.
    I think avalanchethecat meant josephw 😉
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 May '10 00:24
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Interesting thought.
    On that plane of existence their is no possibility of deception.

(My thought, and most of my other contentions , are my way of trying to unify humans and get beyond our differences. That includes christians, hence my use of the term "heaven" 🙂 )
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 May '10 00:28
    Originally posted by josephw
    You're doing it again.

Don't equate what God does with what man does. But of course you can't. You've set your mind on what you think you know. What you don't know about God has your mind in a box. The possibility of the existence of a being beyond your comprehension limits your ability to think outside the box.

You have no experience of God, so you a ...[text shortened]... s.

That goes for everyone in the world, including me, so don't take it too personally.
    There are so many flaws in your post as for me not to even start arguing against them.
    I'll just start with one and see how we go. "You have no experience of God, so you automatically deny his existence." Could you tell the forum what you experience of God is?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 May '10 12:361 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    There are so many flaws in your post as for me not to even start arguing against them.
    I'll just start with one and see how we go. "You have no experience of God, so you automatically deny his existence." Could you tell the forum what you experience of God is?
    "Could you tell the forum what you experience of God is?"

So glad you asked!

Once upon a time, after I responded to God's call, I believed, and then trusted in what Jesus did on the cross on my behalf. At that moment a spiritual transformation occurred. The Spirit of God entered into my heart.

Galatians 2:20 - I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

This is the core of my experience with God. It is the core of every believers experience with God. Without this experience one cannot know God.

One can know of God, but unless and until one responds to God on His terms, one will never know God.
  12. Maryland
    Moves
    27 May '10 12:52
    How do you know what god's term's are? For example, do you eat pork?
  13. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    27 May '10 17:16
    wanna revise your virgin birth ideas any?

http://www.huliq.com/22413/female-shark-gave-birth-without-mating
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 May '10 17:19
    Yeah, sorry dude, I was replying to josephw's assertion that you had a closed mind. My imaginary friend is called Roxanne... She... er... well... never mind...😉
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 May '10 17:193 edits
    Originally posted by duecer
    wanna revise your virgin birth ideas any?

http://www.huliq.com/22413/female-shark-gave-birth-without-mating
    I'll revise it.

First of all, it wasn't a mammal. Of course there are organisms which can asexually reproduce. Mammals are not one of them without scientific intervention (and that was a rabbit, not a human or even primate).

Secondly...

Any boys in that shark's litter?

Sharks have an XY sex-determination system, so they produce only female (XX) offspring by parthenogenesis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenogenesis#Sharks

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree