1. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 18:251 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    No.

Every prayer is answered - but the answer is always the one you need, rather than the one you seek.
    So those Rwandans who prayed for civil war to be averted got the answer they needed, i.e. genocide?
  2. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 23:32
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Is God more likely to answer a relatively trivial prayer that concerns the well-being of one singular Christian than to answer a prayer that positively affects an entire nation of suffering people?

If so, why would God sooner answer an "easy" prayer than answer a "hard" prayer?
    If God exists, it is likely that neither you nor I would understand the answer.
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 00:44
    Originally posted by dottewell
    So those Rwandans who prayed for civil war to be averted got the answer they needed, i.e. genocide?
    Lesson: Pray for the little things, like a new bicycle--that way, when you get the sled, you can just say, "Thanks, I needed that." 😕
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 01:49
    Originally posted by Kalsen
    If God exists, it is likely that neither you nor I would understand the answer.
    Does He speak in tongues as well?
  5. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 02:11
    Does He speak in tongues as well?
    I have no idea.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 02:13
    I have no idea.
    Obviously.
  7. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 02:28
    Obviously.
    You hijacking my intros from the other thread, Darv! 😉 God'll get you for this plagiarism...
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 03:37
    What I want to know is what happens when different people pray for mutually contradictory things. If I pray that the Tigers beat the Yankess and No1marauder (rot his soul) prays for the opposite, what happens? Does god check on who is the most pious between us? Does god choose the team with the greatest number of god fearing christians? Have the Tigers somehow offended god so that they've been condemned to wander through the wilderness for 40 years?* Are the Yankess god's chosen team?

*1984 + 40 years = 2024. Aaaaargh!!!
  9. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 03:51
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What I want to know is what happens when different people pray for mutually contradictory things. If I pray that the Tigers beat the Yankess and No1marauder (rot his soul) prays for the opposite, what happens? Does god check on who is the most pious between us? Does god choose the team with the greatest number of god fearing christians? Have the Tigers some ...[text shortened]... ness for 40 years?* Are the Yankess god's chosen team?

*1984 + 40 years = 2024. Aaaaargh!!!
    As I was trying to imply to the idiot a few posts up, if there really is a God-like entity controlling things in our universe, I don't think "he" would think of things in such simple terms. It is possible most of what we pray for isn't really what will bring us happiness. We probably do not know what we ultimately want.

God probably doesn't need to resolve the types of prayers you speak of, because they don't matter. If there is a God, his paperwork has far more depth than what we have the ability to absorb. I'm sure his methods are sound.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 04:03
    As I was trying to imply to the idiot a few posts up, if there really is a God-like entity controlling things in our universe, I don't think "he" would think of things in such simple terms. It is possible most of what we pray for isn't really what will bring us happiness. We probably do not know what we ultimately want.

God probably doesn't need to resolve ...[text shortened]... s far more depth than what we have the ability to absorb. I'm sure his methods are sound.
    Don't matter? Spoken like someone whose team doesn't need divine intervention.
  11. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 04:04
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Don't matter? Spoken like someone whose team doesn't need divine intervention.
    Well, I do support the All Blacks.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 04:36
    In general, darcie, your post begs the question. The real question should be: what is prayer, and how is it used?

Prayer is not a crutch for the weak, but a weapon for the strong (strong = righteous).
  13. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 10:091 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    In general, darcie, your post begs the question. The real question should be: what is prayer, and how is it used?

Prayer is not a crutch for the weak, but a weapon for the strong (strong = righteous).
    So the "weak" get what they deserve (famine, genocide, etc.), while the "strong" get what they want (easy-to-break concrete, etc.)

Seems fair.
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 11:14
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
    2 BILLION christians. Surely they must be praying for a better world, right? So, why all the poverty, famine and suffering? Why DID he, in all his powerfull wisdom see fit to drop a mudslide on a village this week? Or are you just talking crap?
  15. The sky
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 11:341 edit
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    2 BILLION christians. Surely they must be praying for a better world, right? So, why all the poverty, famine and suffering?
    Because most of them are weak, and those who are strong only pray for the breaking of concrete and bicycle seat repairs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree